Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Where should I mount the lights?
Option 1 - Between the headlights 84 49.70%
Option 2 - on the sides 3 1.78%
Option 3 - on the roll bar 11 6.51%
Option 4 - on the windshield 9 5.33%
Option 5 - on the bull bar 41 24.26%
OPtion 6 - retain existing ones & add D shackles in the front 13 7.69%
Option 7 - none. upgrade existing lights 6 3.55%
Option 8 - Other. Please specify 2 1.18%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2013, 23:51   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
I have fitted the following auxilliary lights in my Bolero 4wd

1. A pair of Hella Rallye 3003 and a pair of Hella work lamps at front
2. Single Hella Work lamp at the rear.

Rallye 3003 comes with 55 watts H1 bulbs. I have converted that to 100 watts H1 Osram bulbs. The lights are excellent. Rallye 3003 gives a very good beam pattern and works as my long range lamp. Hella work lamp is focused side ways to work as cornering light and for close range illumination, it is very useful in offroad situation.

The rear Hella work lamp is my camping light.

The sideways focused lights for cornering are really clever.

Can you tell us how you "converted" the rallye 3003 to 100 watts? Just replaced or had to make some mods? Have you faced any problems due to this modification as its been a long time since this post?

Read somewhere on the forum that changing to higher wattage bulbs can melt the reflector and drain the battery / prevent it from getting charged....

Rgds.

Ar. Naved.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:42   #107
vak
BHPian

Re: Off-Roading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
The sideways focused lights for cornering are really clever.

Can you tell us how you "converted" the rallye 3003 to 100 watts? Just replaced or had to make some mods? Have you faced any problems due to this modification as its been a long time since this post?

Read somewhere on the forum that changing to higher wattage bulbs can melt the reflector and drain the battery / prevent it from getting charged....

Rgds.

Ar. Naved.

Hella 3003 is really designed to take 100 watts H1 bulbs. In Australian market Hella Rallye 3003 comes with 100 watts bulbs as OE. But in Indian market like many other markets there is a restriction on maximum wattage of auto bulbs. If you need to get the best performance from Hella Rallye 3003 you need to put in 100watts. Ofcourse there is a downside more heat is generated so the reflector life may be reduced. Hella Rallye lasts long. It is said that reflector may last for 15 years with 55watts bulbs but if 100watts bulbs were used life is limited to 10 years.

No modification is required, just put in 100 watts H1 bulbs in place of 55 watt one. Try to get Philips Rally 100 watts H1, they are brighter than other brands in the market.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:52   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
Hella 3003 is really designed to take 100 watts H1 bulbs. In Australian market Hella Rallye 3003 comes with 100 watts bulbs as OE. But in Indian market like many other markets there is a restriction on maximum wattage of auto bulbs. If you need to get the best performance from Hella Rallye 3003 you need to put in 100watts. Ofcourse there is a downside more heat is generated so the reflector life may be reduced. Hella Rallye lasts long. It is said that reflector may last for 15 years with 55watts bulbs but if 100watts bulbs were used life is limited to 10 years.

No modification is required, just put in 100 watts H1 bulbs in place of 55 watt one. Try to get Philips Rally 100 watts H1, they are brighter than other brands in the market.

Wow! Thanks a ton VAK.

Finally it seems my quest for auxiliary lights for Thar has ended! So it shall be Hella Rallye 3003 with Philips Rally 100 watts bulbs....

BHPians Rule

Ar.Naved
Old 17th May 2013, 21:00   #109
BHPian

Sorry p76
I have been off team bhp for a while as I was bsy with my wedding and work.
I am sure you must have found a way out by now.i again apologise for not replying earlier.
Old 5th September 2013, 11:27   #110
P76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyaulakh View Post
Sorry p76
I have been off team bhp for a while as I was bsy with my wedding and work.
I am sure you must have found a way out by now.i again apologise for not replying earlier.
No problems about that mate, nevertheless have got the Hella 4000's mounted. And it was a mega project - took about a week to get it done!. But satisfied with the work. the lights stand solid without any hint of vibration.
Old 5th September 2013, 15:07   #111
Senior - BHPian

After about 20 years of off road experience I have the following things to say on off road lights istalled as extra lights.

What is the purpose ? If you need more intence light to see the road and a combination of high beam and low beam to illuminate more area - Driving lights.

In case you want to view pot holes or obstructions 20 to 50 yards ahead - SPot beam lights.

The best place to mount additional lights in a 4WD vehicle is on the front bumper. No where else.

Why ? On the bulll bar or crash guard the beam will constantly flicker providing a very disturbing experience.

If two or four lights are mounted on a rod on the top front of the vehicle useing a front roof rail, the beam falls on the bonnet illuminating it and disturbing the front vision.

The third use, in case fog lights too the best position is on the bumper unless you drive a vehicle which has slots built in the front bumper for fog lights.

In Jeep Wrangler and Thar side mounts next to the windshield illumunate the bonnet again and the beam gets deflected from the inward side giving a less than desired illumination.

For spotting turns or landmarks to navigate , what will help most is a seal beam hand held spotlight
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 15:52   #112
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest mounting on the bullbar or crashguard, on it. My understanding of bullbar or crashguard is the accessory installed to prevent direct damage to the bumper.

I've read somewhere such lights should always be below the normal headlights (as per the law) - citation required. I believe such an installation would give good ground visibility and prevent blinding to oncoming traffic/people/animals.

Last edited by nitinbose : 5th September 2013 at 15:53.
Old 5th September 2013, 20:07   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I would suggest mounting on the bullbar or crashguard, on it. My understanding of bullbar or crashguard is the accessory installed to prevent direct damage to the bumper.

I've read somewhere such lights should always be below the normal headlights (as per the law) - citation required. I believe such an installation would give good ground visibility and prevent blinding to oncoming traffic/people/animals.
Read my post above. A bumper is always below the headlights level.

On the bullbar the lights will flicker and vibrate constantly causing much trouble and defeat their usefulness.
Old 6th September 2013, 02:51   #114
Senior - BHPian

If you mount on the front bumper you create more shadows from rocks and obstacles in the path of the vehicle. These shadows generally help the driver see the nature of the path in front of him, they create a kind of topography. Mounting lights high on the vehicle may look snazzy but this limits their functionality for reasons posted many times above.

Rear facing lights for backing are also a great addition if you keep them low.
Tractor lights are one good option and are cheap and rugged.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 6th September 2013 at 02:52.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 09:32   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I know this is an old post but i can't seem to find any details on this product online, and can't find it for sale online either.
any idea on the approx size of the lens? plan on using a set of fog/aux lights which are square or rectangular as the same as well as turn indicators, and integrating into the bumper, so not too large.
Old 26th March 2014, 18:06   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_aRe_Cee View Post
I know this is an old post but i can't seem to find any details on this product online, and can't find it for sale online either.
any idea on the approx size of the lens? plan on using a set of fog/aux lights which are square or rectangular as the same as well as turn indicators, and integrating into the bumper, so not too large.
Cant really give you the details on the lamps lens etc but it is a Hella worklamp and is installed in JCB's. You can see it on the Hella website try this im not sure of its the same but at an authorized Hella whop i found these. Details are given in my post.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=he...%3B1276%3B1000
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 21:44   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Cant really give you the details on the lamps lens etc but it is a Hella worklamp and is installed in JCB's. You can see it on the Hella website try this im not sure of its the same but at an authorized Hella whop i found these. Details are given in my post.
thanx V-16 for the reply!
I picked up a set a week after that post, really impressive product for the price, was going to make a custom bumper with these lights in them but decided it would look horribly distasteful on the car.
will try to mount them on my Jetta later if it suits.
Old 5th September 2014, 10:53   #118
BHPian

Iam planning to install Hella Rally 3003 for my Scorpio (Mhawk 2012 Model)

Frame type - Crome
Size - 22CM
Bulbs - Phillips Rally 100 Watts H1
Mount Point - Between the Head lamps
Price - Approximately Rs.8000 in Bangalore
Beam pattern - Long (3003 throws approx 420 Meters)

Can someone please suggest if I have to choose 12v or a 24v Spotlight.
What is the difference between 12v and 24v.
Will there be any Battery drain issues ?

Last edited by Bhargava_sr : 5th September 2014 at 10:59.
Old 5th September 2014, 12:03   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
Can someone please suggest if I have to choose 12v or a 24v Spotlight.
What is the difference between 12v and 24v.
Will there be any Battery drain issues ?
Are you talking about Voltage?
If so its 12V only for cars since our cars run a 12V system.
24V is used in some trucks and JCBs

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th September 2014 at 12:13. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 12th September 2014, 09:42   #120
BHPian

Can someone suggest few good Hella dealers in bangalore who can get 3003 installed on my Scorpio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks