Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 22:18   #31
BHPian

After the engine work was done, it was running smooth and there was absolutely no sound of the engine when in idle. The firing of the engine was perfect and the timing belt was also adjusted. Even the carb was tuned according to correct RPM (don't remember what rate it was fixed at and the name of the guage) and there was no fluctuation. So I don't think the compression problem still exists.

The loss of power is through out and not just while accelarating/taking off. I am not sure if the idling is proper.

I just remembered the problem exists with both Petrol and LPG, so would this still be a carburator issue ? The problem started with petol and was running smooth in LPG when switched over during trial run, but the problem resurfaced even in LPG after few Km's.
Old 10th April 2010, 10:02   #32
BHPian

LPG generally tends to spoil the carb - this is due to the fact that LPG is a dry fuel vis-s-vis petrol ( I have one LPG-ready carb due to this) so in all probability you will have to take the carb to an expert and figure out what is wrong with it.
AFAIK LPG works independent of the carb - all the tuning for LPG is ouside - since you have changed the coil - check your plug wires - then your plugs.
Also check your distributor brushes (worn brushes cause misfiring at non-idling RPM's)
Old 11th April 2010, 20:43   #33
BHPian

Thanks GB. Will have the distributor brushes, plugs and wires checked tomorrow. The plug wires were also replaced recently, so hope there is no problem with that. I have managed to source "Major Kit" for the carburetor as requested by mechanic, hopefully after changing the diaphrams and air screws the carb should work fine.
Old 12th April 2010, 09:59   #34
BHPian

Hi Guyz,

A very interesting discussion here. I am also facing some similar issues.

I am using a new Esteem carb (Mikuni) and the average is 12-13, more than adequate. However, issues:

1. The RPM has fluctuations on idling which is very mysterious. I have to constantly kep adjusting the RPM. Sometimes, the RPM becomes very high, I adjust it. Then, next tim whn I cranck the engine, it is so low that the vehicle stalls as soon as I use clutch. Please advise possible reason.

2. I had got the timing adjusted at MSA as per the timing devise. However, I had noticed that the vehicle was having some misfiring, was emiting white smoke and average had dropped. It was running very smoothly otherwise. When I took it to my Mayapuri mechanic, he changed the timing manually to a different setting, saying that since the engine was not original, the timing can not be set using timing devise. Now, there is no misfiring etc, better fuel average but vehicle seems heavy, has drop in power & top speed. Please advise on what to be done.

Gurus, please advise on both points.

Cheers!

ashish
Old 12th April 2010, 13:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
2. I had got the timing adjusted at MSA as per the timing devise. However, I had noticed that the vehicle was having some misfiring, was emiting white smoke and average had dropped. It was running very smoothly otherwise. When I took it to my Mayapuri mechanic, he changed the timing manually to a different setting, saying that since the engine was not original, the timing can not be set using timing devise. Now, there is no misfiring etc, better fuel average but vehicle seems heavy, has drop in power & top speed. Please advise on what to be done.
huh?? engine not original?? - please explain this.

Better fuel average and vehicle seems heavy indicates that your carb is running lean. This is usually done by lots of mechanics to improve mileage - at the cost of power.

PS - I am using an 800 carb on my king and havent faced any such probs - mileage ~10KMPL
Old 12th April 2010, 18:17   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
After the engine work was done, it was running smooth and there was absolutely no sound of the engine when in idle.
========
. So I don't think the compression problem still exists.

The loss of power is through out and not just while accelarating/taking off. I am not sure if the idling is proper.

I just remembered the problem exists with both Petrol and LPG, so would this still be a carburator issue ? The problem started with petol and was running smooth in LPG when switched over during trial run, but the problem resurfaced even in LPG after few Km's.
None of the checks you mentioned will give you a clear go ahead regarding engine compression, for this you need to find a mech with compression meter and take the reading of individual cylinders. Thats the first thing i would suggest. Once the compression reading are confirmed as ok, move to ignition side. Rule out any defects with spark plugs, wires, distributor etc etc.

Then move to the carbs, also check the filters. How is the fuel pump working, do a check.

Also coolant and oil are not getting contaminated right?

LPG is fed separately to the carb intake, so it works independent. Anyways do post the results after doing the carb overhaul with repair kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
1. The RPM has fluctuations on idling which is very mysterious. I have to constantly kep adjusting the RPM. Sometimes, the RPM becomes very high, I adjust it. Then, next tim whn I cranck the engine, it is so low that the vehicle stalls as soon as I use clutch. Please advise possible reason.

1) Could be an air leak, carb butterfly/cable getting stuck etc. So need to check one part at a time and set it up proper.

2) White smoke is not good news, get the engine checked by a competent MASS and rule out any engine work. If you attend early enough, a minor overhaul might set it right.

The mayapuri mech seems to have retarded the timing.

Best find a good MASS and get the engine serviced. Its a simple engine and once set right can run long without any attention.
Old 15th April 2010, 11:13   #37
BHPian

@Pardus - Any updates on what was giving the problems?
Do share here as it will help others
Old 15th April 2010, 12:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
@Pardus - Any updates on what was giving the problems?
Do share here as it will help others
Does using really save some costs? I had it earlier on my MPFI King and had to do way with it. Was getting about 8 kmpl and in petrol i get about 9.5 - 11. I was facing problems for back firing from the intake manifold in LPG when tried to accelarate suddenly.......but on petrol it is just fine now.
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
LPG is a dry fuel!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
LPG generally tends to spoil the carb - this is due to the fact that LPG is a dry fuel vis-s-vis petrol ( I have one LPG-ready carb due to this) so in all probability you will have to take the carb to an expert and figure out what is wrong with it.
AFAIK LPG works independent of the carb - all the tuning for LPG is ouside - since you have changed the coil - check your plug wires - then your plugs.
Also check your distributor brushes (worn brushes cause misfiring at non-idling RPM's)
Timing needs to be advanced for proper LPG operation, but this would ping in the carb petrol setup. If setup correctly in Carb for petrol, then LPG will have power loss. This is the problem in LPG installations in Carb Setups!!

@Prithvi alais King413 : I am glad to read that LPG does not work properly in a MPFi engine
Old 3rd February 2018, 15:59   #40
BHPian

Waking up an old thread.

My Maruti Omni is suffering from a peculiar problem. As soon as I press the accelerator, the engine dies. To overcome this, I have to pump the accelerator. The mechanic has told me that the butterfly valve is cut and the carb should be replaced. The problem is that MGP is not stocking carb related parts. I had enquired with the part number

Any suggestion guys? Is there a way to repair the carb or should I just replace it with any aftermarket carb since MGP doesn't have one?
Old 3rd February 2018, 16:38   #41
Team-BHP Support

There is small rubber diaphragm unit which helps in pumping the fuel in, this was available as repair kit and should be still available. If you replace the same it should be fine. Also see if the mixture can be made a little more rich or try using choke to warm up and then see if it holds the rpm when you accelerate.

Repair kit should be available outside or can be ordered through a dealer. Did you check these options?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 18:58   #42
BANNED

Follow Jaggu's advice. I remember changing it on my carb 800 years ago. Its the accelerator pump circuit and its there to prevent the momentary lean condition when the throttle is suddenly opened. MGP store probably would not have it in stock, so refer the partsbook in the store and ask them to place an order. If not salvage one from an old carb. Omni's carb is sidedraught, so not sure other carbs from maruti's line up would be suitable.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 19:03   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well if you can find a person to rebuild the carb that would be a better option, else there is always the aftermarket copy of the original carb(fit and finish won't be as good as the original but it should get the job done.

I seriously doubt a metal butterfly valve can cut. Mostly its the diaphragm in the lower part where the accelerator pump is located that has gone bust, this happens to old rubber parts thanks to ethanol mixed fuel.

Me all by myself rebuilt my Gypsy 1 liter carb and tuned it to factory spec.(knowing that if I fail, there is always the brand new aftermarket carb).
The seals around the accelerator pump located at the bottom of my carb was leaking fuel due to failed rubber seals and as a result when ever I used to step on the accelerator it used to bog down.

Last edited by aim120 : 3rd February 2018 at 19:11.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Repair kit should be available outside or can be ordered through a dealer. Did you check these options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Follow Jaggu's advice. I remember changing it on my carb 800 years ago. Its the accelerator pump circuit and its there to prevent the momentary lean condition when the throttle is suddenly opened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I seriously doubt a metal butterfly valve can cut. Mostly its the diaphragm in the lower part where the accelerator pump is located that has gone bust, this happens to old rubber parts thanks to ethanol mixed fuel.
Thank you guys for your quick response. Let me check with the dealer for the repair kit. I am also thinking about changing the mechanic as the current one is adamant on changing the carb. Apparently he has found a 'used' carb for 3.5K.
QuickLink is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 21:13   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLink View Post
. Apparently he has found a 'used' carb for 3.5K.
I won't be commenting about the repair part, since I know nothing about carbs. But 3.5k for a used carb is too much, specially when new carb from UCAL is available for 4500-5000 rupees.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed