Team-BHP - Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/77072-can-esteem-carburetor-fit-gypsy-king.html)

I am getting a brand new Maruti Esteem Carburetor at a throwaway price. I need to ask you if this will fit on the stock mounting points of the gypsy king (1.3L) ?

The reason I am having this doubt is because the carb bolts on my current gypsy king carburetor are appx 5 inches long with the bolts going clean throught the body of the carb from the top to the bottom.

While the bolt on this esteem carburetor is small 2-3 inches and doesnt travel the entire depth of the body.

Attached here are pics of this esteem carburetor from various angles. This is a mikuni carburetor made in india while the current carb on my gypsy is a aisin carb. Experts please let me know if this is the carburetor thats fitted on your 1.3L carb gypsies.

guys can you help me by posting pics of the carbs of your gypsies and especially people who have fitted esteem carburetors ?

Here r the pics of the esteem carb the last 2 pics show the long bolt position on my current carb.
Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?-09032010003.jpg
Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?-09032010004.jpg
Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?-09032010001.jpg
Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?-09032010008.jpg
Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?-09032010004-long-bolts-current-gypsy-carb.jpg

[note : reason i post on this forum is that this forum receives the most visits from the offroading community )

Maruti Esteem Carburetor fits perfectly on Gypsy 1.3L engine, the gypsy that i sold recently was running on the esteem carb and will give you better mileage than stock aisin carb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amar82 (Post 1774480)
Maruti Esteem Carburetor fits perfectly on Gypsy 1.3L engine, the gypsy that i sold recently was running on the esteem carb and will give you better mileage than stock aisin carb.

It was with this information that I had approached the Maruti spare parts people. The esteem catalogue mentions that 3 different carburetors are available for the esteem. The following are the part numbers from the catalogue along with 2year old pricing.

13200M68E10 - Carb assy Coldstart - Rs. 8412/- (this is the Indian made MIKUNI carb which I am getting here in Maruti Nagpur)

13200M68E91 - Carb assy (M-vx, 80) - Rs. 11009/-

13200M68E30 - Carb assy cold start - Rs. 11009/-

The OEM carburetor which is supplied by Maruti to the Gypsy king (according to the catalogue ) bears a part number 13200-81C10 . This is Japanese make Aisin carburetor thats on my gypsy at present . This carb is equally good and gave me an average of appx 15kmpl.

Since the Mikuni esteem carb is available at a throwaway price, I want to use it along with the present Aisin carb as a standby carb.

Today my mechanic is going to take my current carb out of the vehicle and try to see if the esteem thing fits in. I believe it will. Will update this thread with my findings.

In the meanwhile I request all Gypsy King owners to take that extra effort, open up the bonnet and post a pic of their respective carb setups.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Quote:

Originally Posted by abheekg (Post 1774526)
The OEM carburetor which is supplied by Maruti to the Gypsy king (according to the catalogue ) bears a part number 13200-81C10 . This is Japanese make Aisin carburetor thats on my gypsy at present . This carb is equally good and gave me an average of appx 15kmpl.

Since the Mikuni esteem carb is available at a throwaway price, I want to use it along with the present Aisin carb as a standby carb.

Today my mechanic is going to take my current carb out of the vehicle and try to see if the esteem thing fits in. I believe it will. Will update this thread with my findings.

In the meanwhile I request all Gypsy King owners to take that extra effort, open up the bonnet and post a pic of their respective carb setups.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

The M-800 carb fits the zen/gypsy/esteem and vice versa.

Dont overwork on doing lot of research, its a simple bolt-on job, even the 118NE carb fits all the above cars. 68E carbs are all universal fits.

You cant use 2 carbs alongside as you mentioned, and the above Ucal Mikuni carb in the pic has the A/C idle up switch, it can be removed as it serves no purpose and gives a bulky feel.

You dont need to drill holes anywhere, just use proper packings/ nuts and bolts to fit them, they will work fine. :)

Abheek
You need to buy some double sided nuts - these have threads on both sides. (sorry no pics).
I have purchased these nuts and am currently using a Maruti 800 carb (got a Japanese Mikuni) - actually did this due to frustration with the Aisin carb.

But this works great, have even done OTR's with this carb.
My gypsy is in regular service (have to change brake pads n all) Will post some pics once I get my gypsy back.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amar82 (Post 1774480)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM (Post 1774564)
Dont overwork on doing lot of research, its a simple bolt-on job, even the 118NE carb fits all the above cars. 68E carbs are all universal fits.
=============
You dont need to drill holes anywhere, just use proper packings/ nuts and bolts to fit them, they will work fine. :)

You need to make an adapter plate for the manifold (IF YOU ARE RUNNING OE GYPSY 1.3L CARB) and its NOT a straight bolt ON, its a simple job but dont open up thinking its straight swap!

This set up takes away lil bit off the low end grunt, BUT definitely a very easy carb to tune and service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1774666)
You need to make an adapter plate for the manifold (IF YOU ARE RUNNING OE GYPSY 1.3L CARB) and its NOT a straight bolt ON, its a simple job but dont open up thinking its straight swap!

This set up takes away lil bit off the low end grunt, BUT definitely a very easy carb to tune and service.

Jaggu
You dont have to make any kind of adapter plate to fit the carb.
The bottom plate is the same for the following Maruti vehicles
M800, Zen, Esteem, Gypsy King.
I am running a M800 carb on my King - There is no adapter plate.
Cheers
GB

The studs will fowl in an esteem carb also please check if the manifold openings line up properly. And 800 carb! man you would be getting some 20 kmpl with that lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1774900)
The studs will fowl in an esteem carb also please check if the manifold openings line up properly. And 800 carb! man you would be getting some 20 kmpl with that lol

Jaggu - you get different size studs, I know I got some 4 sizes and then after checking finalised on the one I am using. And the manifold openings line up perfectly

With a clutch that was almost finished - was slipping drastically - I was getting about 10 Kmpl.
Now I am getting the clutch changed along with the brake pads n all, so maybe I can check the mileage again.
If i get 20Kmplclap: a new A/C is gonnna come onto the King!!!

Cheers
GB

Oh thats good news, manifold studs used to be difficult to get earlier. Also you have to very careful while removing them, no to break or screw up the thread.

You should get 12 kmpl with that carb but with AC it might bog down a bit. You have soft/open top right? why do you need ac? :D

One more thing, please get good quality studs. Cheaper ones are prone to corroding and getting jammed later in the life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1775240)
Oh thats good news, manifold studs used to be difficult to get earlier. Also you have to very careful while removing them, no to break or screw up the thread.

You should get 12 kmpl with that carb but with AC it might bog down a bit. You have soft/open top right? why do you need ac? :D

:OT
A/C = Comfort (especially in this heat)
But this is not something I want done fast, if I get some old A/C then fine.

Back to the topic, the esteem carb is better setup for an A/C (Has some additional circuits to prevent a drastic drop in power) The 800 carb just has a vacuum activated plunger which increases the idling.

And as Jaggu said - Get good quality studs. They are definitely worth it.

Yup esteem carb has RPM advance using vacuum set up, primary and secondary butterfly, which if properly set up can give you good top end power, and with a trick set up for some low end also ;) The accelerator pump is also spot on and bloody thing is darn easy to tune. Am not sure about the availability of tuning jets though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy (Post 1774610)
Abheek
You need to buy some double sided nuts - these have threads on both sides. (sorry no pics).

Cheers

yes i have also procured the studs. the size of studs required to fit is 1.5 inches long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy (Post 1774858)
Jaggu
You dont have to make any kind of adapter plate to fit the carb.
The bottom plate is the same for the following Maruti vehicles
M800, Zen, Esteem, Gypsy King.
I am running a M800 carb on my King - There is no adapter plate.
Cheers
GB

My mechanic yest said that all we need to do is to slightly modify the packaging between the carb bottom and the intake top. He said that he had to drill a hole in the fibre packaging to align things properly. No drilling required on carb/ intake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1774900)
The studs will fowl in an esteem carb also please check if the manifold openings line up properly.

yes the mainfold opening does line up properly with the carb bottom.
Infact as PAVAN KADAM beow has mentioned, I have visually confirmed that maruti 800, esteem, 118ne, zen carburetors are direct bolt on fits on the gypsy 1.3 L engine .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1776269)
One more thing, please get good quality studs. Cheaper ones are prone to corroding and getting jammed later in the life.

Point noted . will ensure this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy (Post 1776628)
:OT
A/C = Comfort (especially in this heat)
But this is not something I want done fast, if I get some old A/C then fine.

Back to the topic, the esteem carb is better setup for an A/C (Has some additional circuits to prevent a drastic drop in power) The 800 carb just has a vacuum activated plunger which increases the idling.

And as Jaggu said - Get good quality studs. They are definitely worth it.

Point noted again. I also have ac plans in the future. Will take your help in understanding how the ac circuit works in the esteem carburetor. Its a great experience to earn from you gurus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1776768)
Yup esteem carb has RPM advance using vacuum set up, primary and secondary butterfly, which if properly set up can give you good top end power, and with a trick set up for some low end also ;) The accelerator pump is also spot on and bloody thing is darn easy to tune. Am not sure about the availability of tuning jets though.

Can you elaborate a little more on this and about the general tuning process of this carburetor ? What is this trick set that you are talking about ? I understand so litte about carb tuning and tuning for me is onlly restricted to fiddling with the 2 screws on the carburetor, infact thats what i thought till now meant tuning !!! :)
And what about the acclerator pump, how and why do u need to tune that ?
Abd finally , what are tuning jets ?:Shockked:
Lotsa questions from a novice to the gurus.

Thanks for all your inputs.

I would at this stage like to know , how to tune this carburetor so that I get a good mileage per litre of petrol.