Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 00:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Checkered Aluminum Plate for 4x4s

I have seen a lot of people using checkered aluminum plates for door panels and floorbeds in India and abroad (called diamond aluminum panels there).

I have a few queries regarding this:

What's the rational of using them?
- could be looks
- definitely rust proof
- reduces weight
- prevents slipping
What else?

Why use it for door panels? It will rattle more after a couple of OTRs and also increase weight.

What gauge is used in the floorbeds?

How is it attached to the floor bed? If you directly attach it, there is a chance of water remaining between it and the metal and thereby causing rust below.

If you cut the floor, what should be the thickness / gauge of the sheet for strength?

Can you cut the entire back part of the tub bed to replace with this? If yes, won't the structural integrity be compromised since aluminum is more prone to flex than iron?

Looking for thoughts and insights.
Old 16th March 2010, 00:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Does aluminium not corrode?

I guess you could eradicate possiilty of water on the floor surface by bedding it down with a bituman type material and sealing all around the sides with a bituman type sealant.

I was going to use it for the floor on our Jeep but the bodyshop guys said putting it in is no prblem but if you get rust underneath then it is harder to spot etc.

From what I have seen in the UK, some of the floorbed chekered plate for pickups comes pre welded and you just drop it (so to say). It is usually 3mm plate.

Drop some rubber mats in if slipping is a concern.

Last edited by bigman : 16th March 2010 at 00:40.
Old 16th March 2010, 15:30   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

They are also immensely easy to clean after an OTR. Simply hose the muck & dirt away. I have an install lined up for the next time that my Jeep visits Milestone.
Old 16th March 2010, 16:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They are also immensely easy to clean after an OTR. Simply hose the muck & dirt away. I have an install lined up for the next time that my Jeep visits Milestone.
Cool. Let me know when. We can get it done together.

OT: They are making a bigger skid plate for me. Ask subhash if you want one too. He can get one fabricated for your classic as well using my same dimensions.
Old 16th March 2010, 17:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Plate

Hi Guys,

The Checkered Plate if used to cover the Tub/Floor Plate will encourage rusting on the original floor plate.

I faced this problem with my MM540XD's Original Body, finally replaced it with a 1987 MM540's body.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 16th March 2010 at 17:30.
Old 16th March 2010, 17:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

The Checkered Plate if used to cover the Tub/Floor Plate will inhibit rusting on the original floor plate.

I faced this problem with my MM540XD's Original Body, finally replaced it with a 1987 MM540's body.

Regards,

Arka
How will it inhibit rusting? Won't water get trapped between the two?
Old 16th March 2010, 17:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

edited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
How will it inhibit rusting? Won't water get trapped between the two?
Will encourage rusting as water will remain trapped.
Old 16th March 2010, 20:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

Arka is right, am also looking for some ideas where by i can make the original floor panel water proof while installing these sheets. Maybe first a layer of 3M rubber sealant and ensure no gaps at the corners, etc etc.

Just at conceptual level right now
Old 16th March 2010, 21:10   #9
BHPian

I think its a bit OT :
Guys I think it is "Chequered plate" not "Checkered plate". Because in ships the flooring in engine rooms and all are called chequered plates. We are using both Mild steel and Al plates.

Last edited by vaisakhr : 16th March 2010 at 21:12.
Old 16th March 2010, 21:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Guys: Im planning a few add on mods for my Safari. I hope this is not OT.

Fabricate a plate to protect the fuel tank that will be a bolt on fitment. Will alluminium be strong enough and what gauge..? What are the pros and cons of fixing such a plate for the fuel tank ?
I also want to take out the front and rear bumpers and fabricate something decent looking and sturdy enough for OTR's to improve the approach and departure angles for the Safari. Preferably with a chequered alluminium plate on top to give it a butch look.
Is there someone in and around Bombay to do this and/or has some expertise in such fabrication.?

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 16th March 2010 at 21:17.
Old 17th March 2010, 08:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Fabricate a plate to protect the fuel tank that will be a bolt on fitment. Will alluminium be strong enough and what gauge..? What are the pros and cons of fixing such a plate for the fuel tank ?
See the metal type one in the Gurkha. I guess for same strength as metal in Aluminum, you will have to go thicker. I guess the only con would be the departure angle getting lowered slightly more.

Quote:
I also want to take out the front and rear bumpers and fabricate something decent looking and sturdy enough for OTR's to improve the approach and departure angles for the Safari. Preferably with a chequered alluminium plate on top to give it a butch look.
Is there someone in and around Bombay to do this and/or has some expertise in such fabrication.?
Contact Danny or MKraft. They've done a great job on an Endeavor. Let me know if you want their number.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 17th March 2010 at 08:24. Reason: typo
Old 17th March 2010, 09:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

No method of applied sealant can keep moisture out, it may keep the water out, but not moisture which is the principal factor for floor corrosion.

It is not a good idea to fix this checkered aluminum sheet over the existing sheet. Better get the old one removed and get additional reinforcements done for holding the new 4mm aluminum and either screw or rivet them to the new channels.

Can you cut the entire back part of the tub bed to replace with this? If yes, won't the structural integrity be compromised since aluminum is more prone to flex than iron?

As the thickness of the existing metal sheet is not much, it will not compromise on the structural stability, moreover a 4mm thick aluminum sheet should add more strength to the structure.
Old 17th March 2010, 09:48   #13
BANNED

The joint between steel and aluminium will rust unless there is a proper rubber or teflon packing between the two. Now you wish you had attended that Chemistry class in school.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:42   #14
Team-BHP Support

Let me clarify, first rust proof the existing body > Some rubberized compound which will act like modelling clay and keep the aluminum sheet on it, making the in between layer water proof.

These are vague idea here, so please.
Old 21st March 2010, 13:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Let me clarify, first rust proof the existing body > Some rubberized compound which will act like modelling clay and keep the aluminum sheet on it, making the in between layer water proof.

These are vague idea here, so please.
Make sure your exhaust does not heat up whatever you use to seal with. You don't want to become a crispy critter.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 21st March 2010 at 13:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks