Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 12:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
[*]Gypsy choice of engines only 2 (1.3 & 1.6 Petrol); M&M choice of engines XD3p, ISZ 1800 (Petrol); Di turbo, 2.6 SZ plus, 2.5 M Eagle and who knows 2.2 M hawk!
This is only where the SWB Jeeps loose out due to transmission mating issues unless major work on adapter plates is done. No options other than XD3P; availability of which is also questionable.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
This is only where the SWB Jeeps loose out due to transmission mating issues unless major work on adapter plates is done. No options other than XD3P; availability of which is also questionable.
Gaurav praphakar (Redmm340) is using Scorpios engine on a CJ 340 tith KMT 90 gearbox and warn OD. Budget and time not a constrain it is possible! He reinforced his chassis as well! XD3p is not hard to find in second hand market. If interested contact M&M for new before they run out of stock.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:38   #18
Team-BHP Support

Guys this debate will go on as Vinod pointed out, its an old school vs new school debate if you ask me

In my opinion and my experience, gypsy for me would be easy to mod and maintain with the mods.

Still i own a CJ3B
Old 18th March 2010, 12:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gaurav praphakar (Redmm340) is using Scorpios engine on a CJ 340 tith KMT 90 gearbox and warn OD. Budget and time not a constrain it is possible! He reinforced his chassis as well! XD3p is not hard to find in second hand market. If interested contact M&M for new before they run out of stock.
True. Have gone through his thread in detail. Don't want to get into this at this moment. Maybe a few years down the line. Looking a siva's Herm OD carefully.

M&M has run out of new XD3P though! :(

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 18th March 2010 at 12:42. Reason: typo
Old 18th March 2010, 12:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

In my opinion and my experience, gypsy for me would be easy to mod and maintain with the mods.

Still i own a CJ3B
That's the jeep thing which even jeepers don't understand.

The underlying point is you will be happier with a Gypsy because there isn't much to fiddle around. With a jeep you always want to make it something different as you have plenty of choices around!!

Jeep ek Kida hai...Kujali ka Kida:-)))
Old 18th March 2010, 13:58   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
...Please try and give me a solution for.

1) Lower Diff-Ratio
2) Wider Axle/Track (In India & any other Continent)
3) FFRA.
Don't know if you are serious about this or just asking again & again for the heck of it.

Anyway, for the benefit of all folks here and to bust the myth:

Diff Ratio: 4.27, 5.38, custom ratios... ALL available.
Suzuki transfer axle gear kits, rockcrawler/rockcrawling gears
Samurai- Ring and Pinion Gears
Drivetrain

Wider Axle/FFRA:
Suzuki Samurai Spidertrax Full Floater axle kit
Suzuki Samurai Full Floater Order Sheet

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th March 2010 at 14:01.
Old 18th March 2010, 14:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys this debate will go on as Vinod pointed out, its an old school vs new school debate if you ask me
Hi Jaggu,

Please Elaborate.

The Maruti Gypsy is King-pin Style Steering Axle.

No Power Steering Option Locally

The M&M now use OKBJ & HARCBT.

M&M have given a variety of engines, what about MG?

Regards,

Arka

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Don't know if you are serious about this or just asking again & again for the heck of it.

Anyway, for the benefit of all folks here and to bust the myth:

Diff Ratio: 4.27, 5.38, custom ratios... ALL available.
Suzuki transfer axle gear kits, rockcrawler/rockcrawling gears
Samurai- Ring and Pinion Gears
Drivetrain

Wider Axle/FFRA:
Suzuki Samurai Spidertrax Full Floater axle kit
Suzuki Samurai Full Floater Order Sheet
Hi Shahnawaz,

Now to REALLY BUST THE MYTH, lets at least see, one Gyspy in INDIA with a wider track (than Stock) with Lower Diff-Ratios and FFRA.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2010 at 14:30. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote instead, Thanks
Old 18th March 2010, 14:35   #23
Team-BHP Support

Arka i meant old school thoughts of doing R&D with old parts called junkyard builds (which is also quite successful and popular all over the world) Vs Buying from shops who specialize in custom parts, obviously at a premium.

To really bust the myth, i would say Gurkha has won it by fording water till windshield level, with bare minimum modification whereas we are still sitting and debating on simple things like making the darn jeep water proof! :( Now thats a real challenge to me!

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2010 at 14:37. Reason: Spell check
Old 18th March 2010, 14:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
A
To really bust the myth, i would say Gurkha has won it by fording water till windshield level, with bare minimum modification whereas we are still sitting and debating on simple things like making the darn jeep water proof! :( Now thats a real challenge to me!

Well I guess even jeep would do that, in stock. Gurkha is very expensive as compared to Jeep so it should do certain things. A/C, PS, Hardtop and diff. locks actually increase the weight of vehicle without adding any Jeep quality. Front IFS again makes journey hell. As well there is no travel in the suspension. I guess I have posted a pic where my rear tyres got stuck in the tyre well.

Regarding fording up to windshield, there are no pics or videos to prove that. It was done in sheer darkness and could be an optical illusion as well. Had Gurkha been that great vehicle it would have been selling more than jeeps - sales number sure tells us which vehicle is better. No matter what you do in Gurkha it just gets stuck in muck or slush.

But as this thread was about Gypsy vs Jeep modifications, lets not get off-topic. In the mean time I am wondering about what modifications can be done in Gurkha and would get back with it.

Last edited by rhandle : 18th March 2010 at 15:04.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Its now Jeep VS Gypsy Vs Gurkha modification posibility thread:-)))

Quote:
]Front IFS again makes journey hell. As well there is no travel in the suspension. I guess I have posted a pic where my rear tyres got stuck in the tyre well.
Can you post the pic of the same? I seem to have missed it

Quote:
Regarding fording up to windshield, there are no pics or videos to prove that. It was done in sheer darkness and could be an optical illusion as well
Gurkha is definitely better prepared for fording than a stock Mahindra. But adding a snorkel and increasing the length of differential breather isnt a big deal. I would compliment Gurkha if they have taken steps to water proof alternator and starter motor

Quote:
Had Gurkha been that great vehicle it would have been selling more than jeeps - sales number sure tells us which vehicle is better. No matter what you do in Gurkha it just gets stuck in muck or slush.
Well no comments , else Bhisma pitamah would appear here again

Quote:
But as this thread was about Gypsy vs Jeep modifications, lets not get off-topic. In the mean time I will think about what modifications can be done in Gurkha and would get back with it.
If interested we can add Gurkha into the discussion list but one wouldn't have much to write about here

@Jaggu- I hope rhandle busted your myth here! An open top vehicle and a hard top cannot be compared for water tightness:-))

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 18th March 2010 at 15:07.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:30   #26
BHPian

@Rhandle

Quote:
Can you post the pic of the same? I seem to have missed it
! An open top vehicle and a hard top cannot be compared for water tightness:-))
Well If you are really thinking about some modifications on your Gurkha ,then as Vinod pointed out you could convert your Gurkha in a Soft-Top variant .By the way it still beats my inexperienced mind as how a "soft top" variant could affect water fordability of the vehicle,"water tightness".

All the same thinking about modifications on the Gurkha--lets see Improving GC , differential locks, AC ,Power steering ,Power take off ,sealing the engine & alternator,snorkel,a 3L warranty on engine, roll cage ,rugged axle, tubular chasis...man it beats me what else can you modify?

Last edited by mohan : 18th March 2010 at 15:37.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:33   #27
BANNED

All this brouhaha........the lowly Force motors Gurkha can't even be in the hallowed halls of the mighty relic of WW-II, with its invincible live Dana axles, legendary petrol engine or Pukegot diesel, its is an indomitable force to be reckoned with.

Even with lower ground clearance, it manages to humble the likes of Land Cruiser, Gelande Wagen so Gurkha can't even be in this picture. Also one can't head for the nearest junk yard to go find replacement parts for the Gurkha but thats not the case with the legend, just look into any government warehouse or garage and you will find something that fits it.

Now for IFS, last year, the renowned 4WD magazine in US pitted a stock FJ against a stock Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, mind you, the later comes with the legend Dana 44 front and rear, electric sway bar disconnect up front and of course, the WW-II heritage whereas the FJ is all but a mall cruiser, worse of all just like the Gurkha junk, its IFS. Well guess what, the FJ did everything thrown at it and it was some platter that was thrown mind you, so did the Rubicon but then that was expected. However in certain extreme tests, the Rubicon failed which was unexpected. Incidentally, this magazine's top best Off roader for 2010 is the new Toyota 4 Runner which again has the dreaded IFS ( when will the morns at Toyota ever learn ). I guess this mag must be doing some serious smokes or else they just don't have person of caliber like ex Palar and Coorg veterans who have commandeered their mighty relics to heights untouched by any.

As for you Gurkha boyz, may I suggest not to do anymore weed or cocaine, 1.5m depth of water is good for fiction Steinback style, not for a thread which is discussing the true off roader ever built.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
All the same thinking about modifications on the Gurkha--lets see Improving GC , differential locks, AC ,Power steering ,Power take off ,sealing the engine & alternator,snorkel,a 3L warranty on engine, roll cage ,rugged axle, tubular chasis...man it beats me what else can you modify?
All I can think of is making it a "soft top"
All that is fine Mohan, Gurkha is much more comfortable than a jeep. Agreed! But what options do you have to improve the vehicle off road performance? Snorkel agreed, Diff locks agreed. But Gurkha just cannot move off road without diff locks!! So its not an addition but a necessity in case of Gurkha!

Gurkhas engine is anemic! Every one would agree that Gurkhas engine is under powered off road. Please suggest upgrade for it. Which engine?

Ok if you don't want to change engine, can you reduce axle ratio on Gurkha? M&M jeeps are not powerful by any chance. They make it up by lower axle ratios.

Whats Gurkhas GC? 210 mm? MM550 XD army's GC is close to 240 MM.

Can you fit 32 inch tyres in Gurkha to improve GC? Ok does company even support you with stock parts leave alone an upgrade?

p.s - please post the pic of your water fording achievement.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 18th March 2010 at 15:43.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:46   #29
Team-BHP Support

Yeah i guess everybody has a point, the topic here is "Ease, reliability, parts availability & common myths", so can we add Gurkha to the list of Gypsy and Jeeps?
Old 18th March 2010, 16:56   #30
BANNED

FUD, lies and yarns galore, JEEPER speak I guess. Gurkha's GC stock with 16" tires is 238mm, compare that to measly 210mm in Mahindra, Gurkha's diff locks are an asset to be used in conditions that would bring every other off road vehicles to their knees. Actually it manages to do quite well without lockers As for it being anemic, wow thats like the pot calling the kettle black specially coming from a relic that can hardly even make close to 30bhp DIN, even the Pukegot engine makes alleged 72bhp which is way less than the OM616 turbo's 91bhp DIN or the DI's 75bhp DIN.

As for axle ratio, Gurkha already comes with a stump puller rear ratio and combine that with 4WD low and it virtually climbs most hills without needing any throttle inputs.

When anyone speaks of power, that shows the level of immaturity of that person. Power never ever gets you anywhere or else the V12 Brabus G with 770bhp would be the choice of G Wagen off road enthusiasts but thats not the case, the choice is diesel powered 170bhp engine instead. I have seen Unimogs with 36bhp DIN managed to humble vehicles with four times the bhp at Rubicon.

I really like folks making FUD about Gurkha when they have never ever had the opportunity to own one, nor even take one off road for an extended run but yes, they are always ready with facts, figures, numbers about Gurkha at the slightest provocation.

Bzzzzzzzz.........files around, smells, stinks, its probably all the dung that the sticks to drivers of open roof vehicles. Time for the exterminator now.

Last edited by Gurkha : 18th March 2010 at 16:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks