Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Diff locks or Articulation, what do you choose?
Diff locks - I think they are more important than articulation 23 60.53%
Articulation - With excellent articulation, diff locks are not really needed 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:33   #16
BHPian

Just check this pic....

http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#AlbumZoo...=1263971089108

With excellent articulation, diff locks are not really needed ....as per my experience.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd March 2010 at 12:35. Reason: Back to back post, please EDIT the original post instead while editing within 15 mts. Thanks
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy View Post
With excellent articulation, diff locks are not really needed ....as per my experience.
If only one wheel in each axle has traction, how is articulation going to help you?
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:56   #18
Team-BHP Support

Exactly what if you are in a slush rut with two left wheels in slush, and 2 on dry ground. Even if your vehicle has the best articulation in the world, you are stuck.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If only one wheel in each axle has traction, how is articulation going to help you?
Yes if ur tyres are good enough and if u have better articulation one wheel in each axle will do the job, pl check the snaps in the url mentioned above......
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:16   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes if ur tyres are good enough and if u have better articulation one wheel in each axle will do the job, pl check the snaps in the url mentioned above......
You think you can get Arka to agree with this statement?
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Tyres

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You think you can get Arka to agree with this statement?
Hi Sharath,

I partly agree to the statement. This will be true if the tyres are very grippy and there is sufficient weight on the mentioned wheels.

However, in such cases we tend to rev the vehicles (open diffs) resulting in strain and failure of the Tyre/ Steering knuckle/ Axle/ Prop-Shaft.

Regards,

Arka
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:26   #22
Team-BHP Support

Well if the tires are grippy, then there is no case of losing traction. The question being asked is that if one tire on each axle loses traction(snow/slush etc.,) will an open diff vehicle move? Well it won't no matter how grippy is the tire retaining traction is. In that case a LSD will help, and diff lock will definitely do the trick.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:36   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Sharath,

I partly agree to the statement. This will be true if the tyres are very grippy and there is sufficient weight on the mentioned wheels.
Arka, I specifically said no traction, that is in spite of grippy tyres or weight on the wheels.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

I did not take the poll because both are not mutually exclusive! Hence you cannot choose only one!

According to me an off roaders basic virtue is to have sufficient articulation, diff locks are an advantage over it.

A way to offset lack of differential locks is by providing articulation, but articulation alone will not take you every where. Diff lock is like feather on the cap. But cap in itself is necessary.

Just a small example where one can get away with articulation without diff locks. However if this trail was slippery, then diff locks would have been required if negotiated without sufficient momentum. Bolero struggled even on hard ground in slow speed to clear this stretch due to insufficient articulation and road tires. Diff locks here would have made it easier for the driver to over come the obstacle in single shot
Attached Thumbnails
Do Diff locks compensate for lack of articulation?-attachment-2.jpg  

Do Diff locks compensate for lack of articulation?-attachment.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 23rd March 2010 at 12:47.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:45   #25
Team-BHP Support

"I would go" for difflock, from a very different angle To improve articulation it takes a hell lot of work, diff lock in comparison is easier to achieve the results.

Whats the point of articulation when the darn axles cant put the power down to move the vehicle?
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Articulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
"I would go" for difflock, from a very different angle To improve articulation it takes a hell lot of work, diff lock in comparison is easier to achieve the results.

Whats the point of articulation when the darn axles cant put the power down to move the vehicle?
Hi Jaggu,

That's hell of a think to say, especially from a JEEPer.

Regards,

Arka

PS - If you think Articulation = SPOA, then you are right.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:13   #27
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi ADC,

Diff-Lock will be needed more with Leaf-Spring, as Solid Axle Coil Spring offers better articulation.

However the Solid Axle Coil Spring suffer from a slight axle wrap under acceleration, which does not happen in Solid Axle Leaf Spring.

Regards,

Arka

Thank much Arka, Another query would be like -

If there is IFS [as Thar], bad articulation and all, a front locker with IFS and LSD/MLD rear with leaf springs - the best possible combination [scenario] with the Thar?

Last edited by adc : 23rd March 2010 at 13:29.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
If there is IFS [read Thar], bad articulation and all, a front locker with IFS and LSD/MLD rear with leaf springs - the best possible combination with the Thar?
Hi ADC

Sounds like a Force Gurkha to me.

Manufacturers rarely give Front and Rear Diff-Locks on Light 4x4s
i.e 1953 Delahaye VLR
1979 MB G-Wagen
2003 JEEP Wrangler Rubicon

In the 1990s Diff-Locks became the Buzz-Word and everyone (OEM) started fitting one on the Rear Differential.

Auto-Locker and M&M MLD are similar in purpose - Locked in Straight Lines, Opens on Turns.

I don't know of any other manufacturer fitting Auto-Lockers/MLD as OEM.

LSD is OEM since the 1960s for many Car & 4x4 manufacturer.

An LSD/MLD/Auto Locker up front (Diff) can cause serious steering issues, with out a Free-Wheeling Hub so Don't Expect them OEM.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:15   #29
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi ADC

Sounds like a Force Gurkha to me.
Ha ha, mostly but for big torque difference. All the benefits of the Gurkha are lost there, my own inference and could be wrong.

As for Thar - Absolutely there's no way that is coming as OEM, and even what the OEM is and how much - big mystery still .

Anyway, another point is like only with front diff locker and rear with LSD - straight line situation okay, but what happens when making a turn in slippery mud track

But if it is a more or less straight line in ice or mud with width available, with front locked there would be more traction A front locker with rear LSD is a good start - before one gets funds for getting the rear locked?

Last edited by adc : 23rd March 2010 at 14:22.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:28   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Jaggu,

That's hell of a think to say, especially from a JEEPer.

Regards,

Arka

PS - If you think Articulation = SPOA, then you are right.
Ayoooo! Arka i was speaking without reference to any particular model or make, i thought the question was that???

So if i have a choice of having these 2 options in any of the vehicle, which will i pick up?! and hence the reply.

Hope this clears and you will not chase me in my dreams

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks