Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 17:21   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Spacers & OffSet Wheels for putting in bigger tyres | Pro's and Con's

Got the spacers installed today and sometime later will get the tyres installed also. There is a noticeable difference in the stance of the Gypsy -- because of the wider track and looks cool even with 235/75/15 Maxxis :-)

Here are some pictures.

Difference between OE studs and extended studs
Spacers & OffSet Wheels for putting in bigger tyres | Pro's and Con's-img0200a.jpg

The spacer mounted on the rear wheel with extended studs
Spacers & OffSet Wheels for putting in bigger tyres | Pro's and Con's-img0202a.jpg

The original/without spacer picture showing the rear tyre.
Spacers & OffSet Wheels for putting in bigger tyres | Pro's and Con's-img0204a.jpg

The picture showing the rear tyre with the spacer -- notice that the tyre is jutting out now :-). This will prevent any rubbing/scuffing of the bigger size tyre that I will be putting on soon.
Spacers & OffSet Wheels for putting in bigger tyres | Pro's and Con's-img0208a.jpg
Old 7th March 2010, 14:23   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

and 1" spacers for a wider stance. The track width now should be ~53.6 inches.
Helo Khan bai,

How much cost those spacers? Off the shelf or custom made??

Thanks,
sadiq.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:21   #3
BHPian

Khan bhai,
Will these studs be strong enough to survive otr's ?!

I've always been under the impression that spacers=no-no ..

Looking forward to your reviews soon!
Old 19th March 2010, 15:26   #4
BHPian

Khan
In the spacer as you have mentioned, the bolts are the weak point.
You will need to make a spacer like the attached image in Stainless Steel.
Spacers & OffSet Wheels for putting in bigger tyres | Pro's and Con's-spacer.jpg
You will have to use the original bolts and bolt it onto your drum/disc, There will be an additional set of bolts set in the spacer to which you can fix the wheel.
I had used this method in my drag car setups, after tearing through some of the extended bolts.
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:46   #5
BHPian

hey Shanawaz,
must warn you though that gypsy axles have a weakness with spacers on
the front axles just snaps,
have broken three axles already while testing my green spos gypsy,
lots of guys abroad swap toyota axles and get spacers on them,
regardig the fused wheels, for the flight of the hawkz, was runnning three spoke alloys as the fused ones were not tesed yet,
have put them on now, shall pm you results soon

regards,
Allan

(why the geolander m/t.......not good tyres in my opinion)
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
hey Shanawaz,
must warn you though that gypsy axles have a weakness with spacers on
the front axles just snaps,
Oh man, don't sacre me now.

But, I see lots of Gypsy/Samurai with -ve offset wheels. So what's the difference in having a 1" spacer or a 1"-ve offset wheel? Why should it break the axle with spacers and not with -ve offset wheels?

Quote:
regardig the fused wheels, for the flight of the hawkz, was runnning three spoke alloys as the fused ones were not tesed yet,
have put them on now, shall pm you results soon
YES. I am looking forward to some news from you on this front. Been long time now.

Quote:
(why the geolander m/t.......not good tyres in my opinion)
Got them cheap -- that why I put them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You dont get get Maxxis beyond 29 inches?
Yes you get, but I got these at pretty reasonable prices so went for them.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Weight

Quote:
But, I see lots of Gypsy/Samurai with -ve offset wheels. So what's the difference in having a 1" spacer or a 1"-ve offset wheel? Why should it break the axle with spacers and not with -ve offset wheels?
Hi Shahnawaz,

The Spacers put additional weight on the axles.

If each Spacer weighs 1Kg then 1 X 4 X No. Wheel RPM (For Road Speed) = Additional Work.

Also in your spacer the wheel studs are too long, and they will carry all the load and bear the brunt of wheels jumping up and down (OTRs).

It is preferable to bolt the spacer to the original hub and then bolting the Wheels onto the spacer.

Regards,

Arka
Old 24th March 2010, 17:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
...The Spacers put additional weight on the axles.

If each Spacer weighs 1Kg then 1 X 4 X No. Wheel RPM (For Road Speed) = Additional Work.
Agree on additional weight part but shouldn't the alloy wheels be lighter than say steel wheels? So even if we have 1kg spacer put in, it should be lighter than steel wheel thus resulting in total weight on axle being less than before?

Quote:
Also in your spacer the wheel studs are too long, and they will carry all the load and bear the brunt of wheels jumping up and down (OTRs).

It is preferable to bolt the spacer to the original hub and then bolting the Wheels onto the spacer.
100% agree and an aspect of my setup I am not 100% satisfied about. This longer stud is a short term solution and I am in the process of going in rectifying it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Can you PM me the price or better still, I'll ask you over the week-end unless you're campaigning for the JDS (which is what I last heard from the grapevine!)
Yeah, I am one of the criminals that JDS has given a ticket to, hoping that I will 'reform' the society. So, that also means I will not be attending the night OTR
Old 24th March 2010, 17:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agree on additional weight part but shouldn't the alloy wheels be lighter than say steel wheels? So even if we have 1kg spacer put in, it should be lighter than steel wheel thus resulting in total weight on axle being less than before?
I feel the additional stress is due to cantilever effect (the load has moved further out), the reduced weight of alloys doesn't compensate for it. Anyway, let's listen to pros instead, I last studied structural mechanics 22 years back.

Last edited by Samurai : 24th March 2010 at 17:25.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I feel the additional stress is due to cantilever effect (the load has moved further out), the reduced weight of alloys doesn't compensate for it. Anyway, let's listen to pros instead, I last studied structural mechanics 22 years back.
Samurai you are right, it is this extra leverage which creates stresses due to bending moments ultimately leading to shear (remember BM and SF diagrams?) This is also called as Offset swivel, i am attaching a pic for more clarity. Negative offset alloys will partially negate this effect, although not fully.

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
Spacers & OffSet Wheels for putting in bigger tyres | Pro's and Con's-1.jpg  

SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2010, 23:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Samurai you are right, it is this extra leverage which creates stresses due to bending moments ultimately leading to shear (remember BM and SF diagrams?) This is also called as Offset swivel, i am attaching a pic for more clarity. Negative offset alloys will partially negate this effect, although not fully.

Spike

In simple words, the spacers provide the wheels with the leverage required to snap your axles

@Khan_sultan :This will probably happen sometime when you're "pushing it" on rocky terrain. Further, Spidey's ultra-low rock-crawling ratio and lockers will make it more likely. Any plans for a FFRA mod? Besides make chances of failure less likely, in case it does snap 1) It will be far safer & 2) You won't be stranded in the boonies, you can atleast be towed back.

@Spike : How will the effect be negated with the wheels being off-set Vs spacers? Will the forces exerted behave differently?

Best regards to all.
Old 25th March 2010, 08:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
@Spike : How will the effect be negated with the wheels being off-set Vs spacers? Will the forces exerted behave differently?
Addition of spacers make the offset positive, hence inorder to partially negate this effect negative offset wheels may be used.

Spike
Old 25th March 2010, 11:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Addition of spacers make the offset positive, hence inorder to partially negate this effect negative offset wheels may be used.

Spike

Thank you
Old 25th March 2010, 16:39   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agree on additional weight part but shouldn't the alloy wheels be lighter than say steel wheels? So even if we have 1kg spacer put in, it should be lighter than steel wheel thus resulting in total weight on axle being less than before?...
In theory, possible. In reality - less possible.

When most people opt for alloys they generally upsize on many accounts - larger rim (more metal rim as opposed to rubber sidewall), wider rim (more metal again) and wider tyre (more rubber + radial belt weight).

Depending on the extent of the upsize, the end result could quite possibly be a heavier tyre + wheel combo!

That put aside, its the law of moments (leverage) that puts more stress on the suspension et al than the weight.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th March 2010 at 16:40.
Old 25th March 2010, 16:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of Chop Shop. Man those guys use such huge spacers. Scary stuff.

Its always best to maintian recomended wheel offset/position.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks