Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 17:49   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

@Tejas: Link of the place you are getting it from please. Can you get one more? I can buy it and have it for Bangalore folks.
Old 7th May 2010, 18:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@Tejas: Link of the place you are getting it from please. Can you get one more? I can buy it and have it for Bangalore folks.
Khan Sir Single pipe is not good for speed and long distance towing, its not more than our tow cable, but we need something like inverted V shape and one side we can put it to our trailer hook and other side is the BIG ? all the jeeps are not equipped with bumper tow hooks, my idea is why can't we Fix two Bow shackles to to front leaf spring shackles just on idea, as explained by Jaggu we need something that it can easily towed without driver,

i have one simple and very cheap model, please check this and give your inputs.
Attached Thumbnails
Towing a broken down 4x4-crude-tow-bar.jpg  

Towing a broken down 4x4-towbar15.jpg  

Last edited by swastikviji : 7th May 2010 at 18:43.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:29   #33
Team-BHP Support

How are the spring shackles, will they hold if we put D or bow shackles on them to attach the tow bar, without any adverse effect to the vehicle?
Old 7th May 2010, 20:50   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I've sent you an sms as well.

SPRING TOW POLE: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Sealey Tow Pole with Shock Spring 2000kg Capacity

2tonne Rolling load capacity tow pole with spring loaded damper unit. Locking tow hook attachment ensures secure attachment to vehicle. Suitable for mixed towing hook configurations i.e. not both horizontal /vertical. Supplied in pouch.

Rolling Load Capacity: 2tonne
Length: 1.8mtr
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TPK2522.pdf (72.2 KB, 450 views)
Old 7th May 2010, 21:44   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I was thinking of asking Tejas for the same unit but after some research its a +100 to Viji's inverted idea. Thats the way to.

And boys all the towing we did was completely wrong in every respect :-)

Viji, I dont mind working on fabricating this...I need one desperately because would rather just tow her with my Scorp to the OTR location and keep my Jeep barebones with zero comfort factor.

Lets do it...

Last edited by Red Liner : 7th May 2010 at 21:48.
Old 8th May 2010, 22:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I was thinking of asking Tejas for the same unit but after some research its a +100 to Viji's inverted idea. Thats the way to.

And boys all the towing we did was completely wrong in every respect :-)

Viji, I dont mind working on fabricating this...I need one desperately because would rather just tow her with my Scorp to the OTR location and keep my Jeep barebones with zero comfort factor.

Lets do it...
Ok Venky we will go ahead with the Design, who else want this let me know, i will talk to the fabricator, if we give some quantity he may reduce the price.
Old 8th May 2010, 23:27   #37
BHPian

Here's a design of the tow bar on my jeep .
Attached Thumbnails
Towing a broken down 4x4-imag0200.jpg  

Old 10th May 2010, 10:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Ok Venky we will go ahead with the Design, who else want this let me know, i will talk to the fabricator, if we give some quantity he may reduce the price.
Viji sir,
Please also see if we can fabricate a holder on the Gypsy for attaching the same. Am sure it would come in useful for us too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Lets do it...
This may not be such a good idea Venky. Most of our OTR spots has villager "vandals", who will end up scratching and damaging the vehicle in an attempt to open it. Am sure you can use this to hitch your jeep onto some other jeep/Gypsy which is going for the OTR.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:13   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Viji sir,
Please also see if we can fabricate a holder on the Gypsy for attaching the same. Am sure it would come in useful for us too.

This may not be such a good idea Venky. Most of our OTR spots has villager "vandals", who will end up scratching and damaging the vehicle in an attempt to open it. Am sure you can use this to hitch your jeep onto some other jeep/Gypsy which is going for the OTR.
I am only talking about trips beyond 100K's - typically Coorg/Munnar/Ooty etc for offroading - not the ones in and around Bangalore.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:16   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
As of now its:

1. Vijay (yourself)
2. Venky (myself)
3. Jaggu

Others can add to this list...

For others: This is an A frame rigid tow bar and not the collapsible tow bar which is what you will find when you google.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:30   #41
Team-BHP Support

Viji also check on the box clamp idea to make the tow bar universal. Box can sit behind 2 on each side where chassis meets bumper piece in jeeps and similar one for gypsy'z without bumper which can fit to the crash bar.
Old 10th May 2010, 21:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
i think you should NOT use that set on the bumpers of a jeep. While tugging it may/will rip of the bumper.

Any such device should be attached to the chassis correctly to withstand the purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So you don't trust the mechanic designed brackets?
Sir, guess you got me wrong I have bold faced that for better understanding
Old 10th May 2010, 21:09   #43
Team-BHP Support

Actually no headers, jeeps have the same mounting point since ages and no ripping i have heard till date If you look closely the thickness of the sheet and the mounting to chassis is quite sturdy, Samurai here seems to have really over engineered the same.
Old 10th May 2010, 22:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
Here's a design of the tow bar on my jeep .
Rahul your jeep looks fantastic yar just amazing, i loved its simplicity, hi is it possible to post one more picture, i am seeing a spring in one corner please post a clear picture of eyelet side.
Old 10th May 2010, 22:53   #45
Team-BHP Support

Viji no need for any springs, more the rigid the better it is to control, especially in case of driver less towing. The hook idea is any day better, tried and tested.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks