Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 14:40   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
To, torque-ative,
One small clarification, did you check oil pressure in cold start later when it heats up.
Over heating can be caused if engine has seized even once, causing rings to scrape the cylinder. If oil pressure is below 1 bar when heated, then cylinder, connecting & main bearing to be checked. Since jeep stopped by it self it may not be fuel pump.

An exteremely valuable insight with serious implications .

I do not have a oil pressure gauge, only a red light which comes on if there are issues with oil pressure.
What are the signs of vehicle siezure. Will there be increased smoke, and jerk while driving, drop in performance. Or will the jeep not move at all.

The reason for the above question is that even though the jeep was take to full throttle operation on a few short bursts during OTR,..it was otherwise carefully run in. I do not recall a single event where the vehicle stalled and stopped when the engine and the climate was cold.

I took delivery of my vehicle in Feb 10,..and then drove it for a good 02 months without any issues.

The two seperate openions I got were;

a) at 1250 kms probably the engine has not been completly run-in yet.
b) May be tolerances in the cylinder have been set too tight causing excessive friction, and the need to drive it more (run-in) when the heat wave abates.

Question-1: Will the siezure if at all, be visible when the head is opened up. I am asking this as my head was opened up to arrest the compression leakage from the spark plug grooves. The jeep was then driven again for at least 100 kms before I took possesion again.

Question-2 : After taking delivery the vehicle was driven for about 30 kms at good highway speeds 60-70kmph, no signs of smoke or drop in performance.

Do let me know what you think based on the information provided.
I really appriciate your inputs, and taking interest in helping my fix all niggling issues.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 27th May 2010 at 14:46. Reason: typo
Old 28th May 2010, 00:12   #62
Team-BHP Support

Seizure would be evident if the bore was checked when the head was lifted. You will see scars on the walls and at ring edges.

Reg oil pressure, my understand (i might be wrong also): In CJ3B oil pressure is low, so as long as the red light stays off and oil is being pumped up and falling at the valve cover end you needn't worry much.

I know that most of the jeeps have this issue of falling pressure when heated up, close to zero since most of us use the diesel specific oil meters which are calibrated differently and cannot read the low pressure readings the petrol engine generate.

Also the Cj3B engine oil is supposed to be single grade 30W or 40W which is unfortunately not available these days, we use multi grades.
Old 1st June 2010, 19:42   #63
BHPian

Question-1: Will the siezure if at all, be visible when the head is opened up. I am asking this as my head was opened up to arrest the compression leakage from the spark plug grooves. The jeep was then driven again for at least 100 kms before I took possesion again.

Question-2 : After taking delivery the vehicle was driven for about 30 kms at good highway speeds 60-70kmph, no signs of smoke or drop in performance.

sorry for the delyed reply.
When you removed the head did you see any deep scares on all four cylinders. Remove the crank case dismantle each connecting & main bearing journal see for any scares on the bearing. If you have replaced the cylinder instead of reboring please remove the cylinder get it checked for any small blow holes. If yes the compression heat straight goes to cooling chamber. If every thing is satisfied I suggest you to change piston rings, main & connecting bearing(same size). Proper head gasket & head torque tighten to be done. Leave the engine running in idle for at least 5hrs in the same circulating hot water. One more thing, replace engine cooling fan with any other fan which has wider and more (6no.)fins.

remember, in petrol run engines if compression is weak cold start it emmits white smoke. plugs will have dark brown colour.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st June 2010 at 22:36. Reason: Back to back posts, EDIT the original post once approved instead. Thanks
Old 7th June 2010, 16:18   #64
BHPian

Thank you all for you technical views and keen replies. Much appriciated.

I took the jeep out for its maiden OTR post the major hurdles faced due to the compression leak and associated heating issues.

Two things worked majorly in its rather brilliant perfromance.

1) Fair weather conditions : It had rained and it was relatively cooler yesterday.
2) Marked change in driving style : This one I have NIOC MOD Rabindra Singh to thank for.

The Hurriciane 2.2 liter block is a long stroke motor and to harness the potential of this engine you dont need to rev it hard at all. Just keep a steady momentum going and ensure you only gas it as much as needed. You will be amazed at how easily it scales the most challenging of terrains. Right gear selection and faith in the machines capabilities is key though.

Yes there are times where you have to give it the stick,..and I did on one or two occasions. But only when push comes to shove.

I did not switch to aux electrical pump once during the entire OTR,..well could have been a different story if it was a 43 degree day.

But for now I am thanking the weather gods for making such a memorable day possible.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3B Fuel Delivery and over heating.-jeep-2.jpg  

CJ3B Fuel Delivery and over heating.-jeep-3.jpg  

CJ3B Fuel Delivery and over heating.-jeep-4.jpg  

CJ3B Fuel Delivery and over heating.-jeep-5.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Torque-ative : 7th June 2010 at 16:23.
Old 7th June 2010, 18:02   #65
BHPian

Some more images courstey harjeev, who by the way is turning to be quite the whiz with the camera.

This was a new trail with some nerve wrecking crossings, over some serve drops at some wicked angles.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3B Fuel Delivery and over heating.-jeep-6.jpg  

CJ3B Fuel Delivery and over heating.-jeep-7.jpg  

CJ3B Fuel Delivery and over heating.-jeep-8.jpg  

Old 7th June 2010, 21:40   #66
Team-BHP Support

Nice nice, let me catch up on all the threads. Good one to start with after a long weekend break
Old 4th July 2010, 11:20   #67
BHPian

All is well with the 3B,...the jeep has turned out to be quite a performer with ALL issues put to rest. No over-heating, no stalling due to mech. fuel pump faluire,..and I have not used the electrical fuel pump even once.

These,.. I report after putting the 3B thru 3 gruelling OTRs in the mid summer months. The key is being gentle, enaging 4x4 only when needed (especially low ratio), using and maintaining momemtum rather than giving it the stick for sudden bursts of acceleration.

The true blue jeepers to whom I owe profound gratitude in helping me iron all issues out are:-
  • Rabindra Singh sir MOD NIOC for teaching me what living with the 3B is all about.
  • Mandeep aka renegade for timely intervention to fix my leaking head.
  • Jasvinder aka diesel_maniac for helping me start and complete the build, and last but not the very least
  • Harjeev paji aka Harjeev paji for giving me the courage to go for the 3B,..and helping me make up my mind.
I can confidently state that I am officially loving it and thank my stars for having bought the 3B and nothing else....here are some parting shots from last evenings OTR.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3B Fuel Delivery and over heating.-img00019201007031937.jpg  

CJ3B Fuel Delivery and over heating.-img00017201007031936.jpg  

Old 5th July 2010, 15:27   #68
BHPian

naveen ,
nice to see u enjoying it .
i thought of putting in another freaky reason for overheating , i faced that day after the otr, when i called u .
the choke wire got pulled in its sleeve and as it was rusting it got stuck there , so while the knob for the choke was in , it was engaged , that lead to the overheating and missing i faced , rest thankfully was ok .
see u soon again
sharat

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks