Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 08:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Torque Boost for a MG413W MPFI Gypsy

Looked around a bit without finding anything conclusive. Has anyone attempted a torque-boost mod to the Gypsy using stock gearing?

Ways to do this:
1. ECU remap
2. Turbo
3. Supercharger

Of these I think the ECU remap is possible with Race Dynamics and I have seen many Esteems with Turbochargers installed. Considering the engine is the same, how hard can it be to install a beefy variable vane geometry turbo to the Gypsy?

Benefits - better torque through the rev range, better peak power, efficiency and driveability.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 19th April 2010, 10:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Close to 70 views and no ideas yet?
Old 19th April 2010, 11:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Crawlers + Lockers are all you need, straight fit parts. Forget everything else!
Old 19th April 2010, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would rather keep my gyspy for off-roading than going in for torque boost. I did say pick up a sedan, go ahead with the list and that makes sense.
Old 19th April 2010, 13:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I would rather keep my gyspy for off-roading than going in for torque boost.
Riju Crawlers+Lockers help big time for off-roading. Next time check out Khan's Spider.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Riju Crawlers+Lockers help big time for off-roading. Next time check out Khan's Spider.
Aye I hear you Sire. I meant to say if he wanted to go the turbo way then it was best to splurge on a sedan than do it with a gypsy.

I am with jaggu's suggestion of crawlers + lockers . I havent had a chance to see spidey in person as yet, maybe some time soon.
Old 19th April 2010, 21:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

The reason for wanting more torque in the Gypsy is for better performance on and off the road. More torque = less revs needed to tackle obstacles and therefore less damage to the vehicle. More torque = less revs around town = better FE.

I really think small capacity petrol engines can do with a turbo to boost low end torque. A supercharger would also be great.

Crawler ratios make life difficult on the highways. Yes they are fantastic to have off the road and appear to be an easy fit.Locking diffs - have to experience the handling once these are installed but they sound promising.I need to spend some time with Khan soon!

Still wouldn't mind a turbo though
Old 19th April 2010, 21:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

but with crawler gears, khan had mentioned that you get a boost on your in gear acceleration but your overall top speed is reduced by around 10%.

but isnt a performance filter and a FFE good enough for on and off tarmac purposes with a good amount of improved power delivery as compared to stock.

or i guess you want to participate with geoff in some drag racing, wot say GS
Old 19th April 2010, 22:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
but with crawler gears, khan had mentioned that you get a boost on your in gear acceleration but your overall top speed is reduced by around 10%.

but isnt a performance filter and a FFE good enough for on and off tarmac purposes with a good amount of improved power delivery as compared to stock.

or i guess you want to participate with geoff in some drag racing, wot say GS
One option if you have lots to spend, would be to go in for 1.8 diesel, with twin turbos, and combine it with composite fiber transmission shaft.
Old 19th April 2010, 23:16   #10
BHPian

A good website for those looking for ideas on spares to modify their gypsy
Suzuki samurai - Shop sales, stores & prices at TheFind.com

PST Carbon Fiber Dirveshaft for Samurai - Precision Shaft Technologies, News & Events

Link for reference - Precision Shaft Technologies, Replacement Carbon Fiber Driveshafts

Got the idea of CF Transmission rods from the "The Garage" on Discovery Turbo.
Old 20th April 2010, 08:30   #11
BHPian

Does the Carbon Fiber Shaft help with torque improvement?

I was planning to go the ECU remap route myself as the engine is free revving and does not produce any usable torque at lower rpms.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

CF shaft will not improve torque. It will allow the engine to rev much quicker than the stock heavy shaft. This will put you in the happy zone quicker but I am skeptical as far as it's application in 4WD vehicles. Checked out the links but they haven't listed any 4WD cars..mostly sport cars.

ECU Remap is happening with the Race Dynamics. That does help a lot because with the K&N and FFE my engine is running a tad lean. A richer mixture will help bottom end torque as well.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:23   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
The reason for wanting more torque in the Gypsy is for better performance on and off the road. More torque = less revs needed to tackle obstacles and therefore less damage to the vehicle. More torque = less revs around town = better FE.
===================
Crawler ratios make life difficult on the highways. Yes they are fantastic to have off the road and appear to be an easy fit.Locking diffs - have to experience the handling once these are installed but they sound promising.I need to spend some time with Khan soon!

Still wouldn't mind a turbo though
Crawlers don't kill the highway capability or anything, ask Khan. I have driven Spidey and top speeds are not compromised so much. Actually the whole set up allows high speed cruise without too much botheration of down shift, which happens in a stock vehicle. Driving in city is also very easy with them.

Turbo will be good addition but unless you have a very good set up you will be plagued with heating issues especially on a OTR. Oil cooler would be a must for such a set up.

Quote:
ECU Remap is happening with the Race Dynamics. That does help a lot because with the K&N and FFE my engine is running a tad lean. A richer mixture will help bottom end torque as well.
Ask RD to setup two maps, one for low end (OTR) and another for mid to top (for cruising).

Mr Khan your inputs please
Old 20th April 2010, 21:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
CF shaft will not improve torque. It will allow the engine to rev much quicker than the stock heavy shaft. This will put you in the happy zone quicker but I am skeptical as far as it's application in 4WD vehicles. Checked out the links but they haven't listed any 4WD cars..mostly sport cars.

Hi GS,

The web does not say much about CF in an SUV, but recently saw it being installed and tested on a range rover, in this program "The Garage", that comes on Discovery Turbo. But, all said and done, they still did not take it through all the brutality that Vehicles have to go through, that I have seen on the Team-BHP OTR pics.And PST is a company which has the same for a Samurai/SJ410. You guys are in a higher league

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks