Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 18:15   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nex mikuni carb should set the issue right, only thing you will need to do some work on intake manifold to fit them. Finding a original 1000 carb for gypsy will be dicey.

Woah if price is so low otherwise, i suggest you to wait. A USB stereo is worth max 5-6k and that too of its new and from a reputed brand. Look at the vehicle not the accessories while fixing a price.

Jaggu, where can I find more information about Nex Mikuni Carb? And, does that help a gypsy improve it's mileage?

Experts, as I have reiterated, we manage good deals in Gypsy here in Sikkim. I went after one such deal, the asking price is 50 K. The snaps of the gypsy is as attached below.

1. 1991 Model (MG 410)
2. Odometer doesn't work
3. Carb is Out of Order and possibly needs to be replaced
4. Requires minor repairs on doors, dashboard, headlights, seats etc
5. There is no major patchwork visible on the body, gears, brakes, 4WD, clutch and engine are in order. Inspected by a mechanic from MASS.

I hope I am not annoying the experts here. It is said that, never buy a vehicle and decide to marry a girl in a hurry.

Thank you all.
Attached Thumbnails
Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-08062010006.jpg  

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-08062010005.jpg  

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-08062010003.jpg  

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-08062010001.jpg  

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-08062010004.jpg  

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-08062010.jpg  

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-08062010002.jpg  

Old 9th June 2010, 10:20   #17
BHPian

Atheistrical - just some info you might find useful

This is a narrow track gypsy (one of the first few gypsy's) These were more prone to toppling - since you are in a hilly area this is something you need to keep in mind) The previous owner has changed the fender flares to wide track ones.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

the engine has been cleaned recently so cant tell any thing and it has been involved in minor accident

max 35k
Old 9th June 2010, 21:02   #19
Team-BHP Support

What is the oil leak near the sump? and i would still prefer a later wide body model than this.
Old 9th June 2010, 21:29   #20

This is the plan. I'm closing the deal at 40k on AS IS basis. I have spoken with a MASS mechanic and the gypsy will head straight towards his garage. I'm planning to spend an additional 20k on repairs. What do you guys think?
Old 9th June 2010, 21:49   #21
BHPian

the passenger side (fender) indicator looks a bit raked. Can be tell tales of accident
I hope that you could get better ones.
Old 7th September 2010, 08:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheistrical View Post
This is the plan. I'm closing the deal at 40k on AS IS basis. I have spoken with a MASS mechanic and the gypsy will head straight towards his garage. I'm planning to spend an additional 20k on repairs. What do you guys think?
Whats the update? did you go for the gypsy, as for the prices vs availability, is the Gypsy King 413 W post yr 2000 not available there in the re-sale market and if yes then at what prices

tks
Anupam
Old 21st September 2010, 21:46   #23

I'm sorry BHPians for being gone for so long. The nature of my work obliges me to stay offline. I missed you folks here and I'm back with an update, seeking your advice as usual. I have finally closed a deal with a MG410W, the snaps of which are attached herewith. However, no deal is complete unless approved by team-bhp. Feedback please!

Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-imag0105.jpg  

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-imag0104.jpg  

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-imag0097.jpg  

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-imag0096.jpg  

Old 21st September 2010, 22:04   #24
Team-BHP Support

Definitely better than earlier piece, how much do you think you can close the deal for. How many kms and owners on this one?
Old 21st September 2010, 22:12   #25

I have just breathed a sigh of relief. Jaggu, the owner's asking 55K for this piece. What do you think? By the way, I just noticed another probably "big" difference in this vehicle from the previous one: the engine! This one's a SUZUKI's whereas the former's was a MARUTI. Is that really a "big" difference? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Definitely better than earlier piece, how much do you think you can close the deal for. How many kms and owners on this one?
Well, this rugged thing has done 97,000 kms already. Body looks quite rusty underneath, must have been overused and off-roaded mostly. The speedometer doesn't work. Some issues with ignition timing (which a mechanic points out to the carb as the culprit), some pending greasing & lubrication jobs here and there is due as well.

I've heard that a suzuki engine is isn't as much a pig as a maruti engine with regards to gulping fuel, is that true?

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd September 2010 at 11:26. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 21st September 2010, 23:20   #26
BHPian

^^ above engine bay pic what is tied with distributor using wire? Looks like some jugaad there.

Did you consider diesel option? You can get Nissan cd20 diesel engine fitted in gypsy and it will give you good average. One of my school friend got this done for his daily commute to office. My mechanic swear by this engine and says parts are available and it can give mileage of 20kmpl if properly tuned. Second option is Toyota 1N diesel engine which looks beautiful under the gypsy hood!! I saw once and fell in love LOL It gives slightly less mileage though due to more power output than Nissan cd20

If you intend to keep this gypsy for long then diesel is good option for you else stock petrol engine of 410 is very reliable engine. Do the math and see where you save more.
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheistrical View Post
Well, this rugged thing has done 97,000 kms already. Body looks quite rusty underneath, must have been overused and off-roaded mostly. The speedometer doesn't work. Some issues with ignition timing (which a mechanic points out to the carb as the culprit), some pending greasing & lubrication jobs here and there is due as well.

I've heard that a suzuki engine is isn't as much a pig as a maruti engine with regards to gulping fuel, is that true?
Atheistrical,

I was running 1000 cc engine with same specs you got there. No issues on power or mileage. All gypsies 1000 cc gives the same mileage.

Good luck.

I was also running my gypsy with Omni carburator. There is a slag, but never gave trouble.
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:29   #28
Team-BHP Support

For extreme OTR's 1000 cc is underpowered, otherwise quite ok. I had one for couple of years, though it was wide body. Price quoted seems to be ok, but expect to spend anotehr 50 to make it running well. Thats the way it works with ol buys.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:04   #29

Thank you for your feedback. Jaggu, I thought that you'd shed some light into "maruti" vs "suzuki" engine. Thanks!
Old 26th September 2010, 21:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
^^ above engine bay pic what is tied with distributor using wire? Looks like some jugaad there.

Did you consider diesel option? You can get Nissan cd20 diesel engine fitted in gypsy and it will give you good average. One of my school friend got this done for his daily commute to office. My mechanic swear by this engine and says parts are available and it can give mileage of 20kmpl if properly tuned. Second option is Toyota 1N diesel engine which looks beautiful under the gypsy hood!! I saw once and fell in love LOL It gives slightly less mileage though due to more power output than Nissan cd20

If you intend to keep this gypsy for long then diesel is good option for you else stock petrol engine of 410 is very reliable engine. Do the math and see where you save more.
I finally bought it at 45k! I'm its proud owner now. Diesel engine sounds great, but is it advisable? What about the costs and after-mod maintenance structure?

I'm still curious to find any difference(s) between a SUZUKI and MARUTI engine. BHPians, please provide some insight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks