Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 20:47   #1

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!

Greetings to all, this is my first post in this forum.

I am an amateur and seek the advice of the experts here. I am a hydro engineer by profession and my job requires me to pay constant site visits. The terrain that I'll need to drive on is all bumpy, muddy, uphill, downhill and extremely rough. You'll know what a switchback really feels like if you visit West Sikkim. Anyway, so I'm planning to buy my first vehicle for my harsh use. I considered Mahindra Classic and Maruti Gypsy but finally decided on Gypsy for it's ease of availability than a Classic. The following are my expectations/confusion.

1. I want my Gypsy to run on Neutral (with the engine off). All drivers here adore the (engine&gear)-free ride downhill with just the right foot on the brake, just like a bicycle.

2. I don't seek comfort, I seek convenience and reliability from my Gypsy.

3. Mileage is very important. I'd be disappointed with any figure less than 12 kmpl. I've heard that swapping the carburettor of a Gypsy with a Maruti Omni Van's can really help me save fuel and increase the mileage. Omni Vans are used as taxis here and their drivers tell me that a carburettor Omni Van delivers upto 16 kmpl, neutral drive inclusive). I later asked a local mechanic but he was skeptic and discouraged it. What do you experts think?

4. I can't afford a new Gypsy, so I'm going in for a used one (a Gypsy-410, Soft-top perhaps) and can afford at most 20k for any mods.

Feedback from this forum will be very important and influential to me in making the final purchase. Thank you!
Old 6th May 2010, 20:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

1) This is one of the most reckless driving you can do, especially on a hilly terrain. You will burn the break pads which will be more costly that the fuel you save, and can land up in serious accident if you loose control.

2) Perfect

3) Please dont do all this circus, you will struggle to climb the hills. Instead get a decent 413 and drive it proper.

4) Use that 20k for buying a decent vehicle and servicing it, you dont need modifications for your use.

Being in Gangtok you should be getting better options with second hand gypsies than us folks.
Old 6th May 2010, 21:06   #3

Thank you Jaggu for that instant reply. I understand that driving on neutral with engine off is not an etiquette of safe driving. Yet, you'll find that almost everyone (especially those taxi drivers) drive that way. You'll be surprised to know that this form of driving is a part of the curriculum of every certified driving school here. The heights of this form of driving is such that even vehicles with power brakes are driven (somehow, I don't know) with the engine off.

I'd still like more info about the carburettor swap please. I searched the forum first before posting and I remember some thread about an esteem carbutettor being installed onto a gypsy. Thanks again!
Old 6th May 2010, 21:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

It might be the norm but it totally unsafe practice, so ask yourself you want to be part of that reckless taxi gang. As for the omni carb that was also discussed in the same thread you mentioned.
Old 7th May 2010, 01:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheistrical View Post
constant site visits. The terrain that I'll need to drive on is all bumpy, muddy, uphill, downhill and extremely rough.

3. Mileage is very important. I'd be disappointed with any figure less than 12 kmpl!
12 kmpl off road?? You are better off with a Mahindra diesel.
Old 7th May 2010, 15:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheistrical View Post

1. I want my Gypsy to run on Neutral (with the engine off). All drivers here adore the (engine&gear)-free ride downhill with just the right foot on the brake, just like a bicycle.
Do you have a death wish bro,...!!

If you really want to enjoy cruising down a gradient do it with the highest posible gear engaged. This way you have the needed engine brake assist and can also dab the brake pedel if needed.
NEVER make this sort of driving an habit,..its only a matter of time that your could cause serious bodily harm to self, as well as innocent bystanders.

Secondly swapping a carb or 1.3 liter engine with a 800 cc engine is like choking it to death.
The performance of the MG410 (1.0liter) is barely adequate as is,..if detuned further you are left with this rather unpleasent task.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 7th May 2010 at 15:35.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:42   #7

I am very grateful to all who have come forth and cautioned me against the mode of driving in subject. I pledge that I'll refrain from that habit. This forum is giving me more than I had expected. I thank all you experts again.

Now, let's say I am on an inspection visit to buy my gypsy. What must be my checklist? Besides, I have a few more doubts to clear up and I hope that I'll receive feedback.

1. How do I distinguish the various versions of the Gypsy? Is there any primer on the subject online?

2. I've found references to MG410, MG413, 1.3 L, King, etc in this forum. What exactly do they signify and how can I detect the version of Gypsy by inspection?

3. I'd like a Soft-top Gypsy. For my driving scenario, which version do you all recommend? I'll post the pictures as soon as I find a seller which I am searching for now. Jaggu was right about we Gangtokians being lucky, because we usually manage to acquire a decent Gypsy at around 70k-80k here.

4. Most people dislike Gypsy here for onroading. They say it doesn't consume fuel, rather it drinks the fuel dry. My peers have reported a mileage lower than 6 kmpl offroad and 10 kmpl onroad. I must indicate that even onroading here means climbing steep slopes and numerous U-turns and curves. Most vehicles here never use the 4th Gear and seldom use the 3rd Gear. Driving happens mostly on the 1st and 2nd gear alone.

5. Mpower suggested a Mahindra diesel, but that's harder to find than a Gypsy here. How do the two compare? If Mahindra Diesel, then which one? Mahindra Classic!

6. Sorry for the extreme lines of questioning. I'm very excited about my first automobile purchase, so please bear with me.

Thank you!
Old 7th May 2010, 22:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Mg410 is the first model with 1liter engine, mg410 came with the wide axle version with 1 lit engine mgw410 IIRC, then came mgw413 which is wide axle with 1.3 liter esteem engine, then finally mgw413 which is the mpfi 1.3 liter esteem engine. So there are 4 models and you can identify them from year of manufacturing.

Approx history:
84 till early 90's it would be mg410
Mid 90's it became wide body
Late 90's it went 1.3 lit
and 2002 onward became mpfi

EDIT: King was for 1.3 lit engine i guess

Gypsy historians please correct.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th May 2010 at 23:13. Reason: Correction reg king
Old 8th May 2010, 02:12   #9
BHPian

considering your fuel economy needs, better stick with Mahindras

Don't even think of omni jet exchange in a Gypsy carburettor. I've driven one gypsy like that & it was totally useless. It knocks once you touch the throttle.

please dig out some old threads to understand different variants

The attached checklist might help you.

NB - Drive professionally. Don't do down hill freewheeling
Attached Files
File Type: doc GYPSY INSPECTION.doc (81.5 KB, 2590 views)
Old 12th May 2010, 22:24   #10

Thanks MexXxentric for that checklist file. Considering inputs from all and my requirements I am now envisaging on getting hold of a Diesel Jeep.

In my endeavour, I have found one deal. The photograph attached may not give any true assessment possibility, but I'll upload more photos as and when I receive them. The owner is demanding 200 thousand (i.e. 2 lakh) rupees for it. Is that a good deal from the vague look at the image attached below?

Omni Carb onto Gypsy!-12052010.jpg

I just dropped in to say thanks to all. I'll return later with more pictures.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:33   #11

Hi folks!!

I must be giving away a grim impression of driving in Sikkim. I have struck with yet another deal, the details of which are as follows:-

1. Gypsy MG410W - 1997 Model
2. Overhauled Engine
3. New Tyres (Kinda Heavy, but not the normal Gypsy ones for sure)
4. Omni Carb fitted
5. Great interiors, no sign of rust anywhere, good sofa type seats, no sign of dents and repairs on the body
6. Demanding 10,5000 INR, non-negotiable

Test Drive Observations

1. Low power, struggles to pull uphill
2. No traces of creaking sounds, loose fittings, etc when driven at 40 km/hr
3. Brake/Clutch (perhaps) gives out a burning scent, owner says they're new and it's the paint on the brake pedal that's smelling
4. I felt satisfactory off-roading this

I forgot to take my camera along, so no snapshots!! What do you guys think?
Old 20th May 2010, 20:47   #12
Team-BHP Support

Check it with a competent MASS, then make the decision. Price is attractive but too much of overhaul and god knows what was done, so.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check it with a competent MASS, then make the decision. Price is attractive but too much of overhaul and god knows what was done, so.

My only concerns are:

1. It's an Omni Van's carburretor. How much will a MG410W's carb cost if I wish to restore it?
2. My friends say that the price is still high. We usually manage good used gypsies at 45-50 k here. This one has a USB compatible stereo fitted as well, but no AC (not required here anyway)

The gypsy is tempting, but I was hoping to acquire a similar one at a lesser price. It's normal to believe a seller here. People seldom lie here. So, taking the vehicle to a MASS would signify insult to the seller. Difficult situation if you know what I mean. Thanks for your advice!!
Old 21st May 2010, 13:09   #14
Team-BHP Support

Nex mikuni carb should set the issue right, only thing you will need to do some work on intake manifold to fit them. Finding a original 1000 carb for gypsy will be dicey.

Woah if price is so low otherwise, i suggest you to wait. A USB stereo is worth max 5-6k and that too of its new and from a reputed brand. Look at the vehicle not the accessories while fixing a price.
Old 27th May 2010, 22:03   #15

Hello Everyone, I still couldn't get snaps of the MG410W. The seller has offered 95k as his final price. I'm still skeptic about the mileage and power.

Experts, this gypsy had its carb swapped with an Omni Van's.
I could see that the power has dropped, since the vehicle struggles to climb uphill (inclined at 15 degrees from the horizontal axis) on the 2nd gear.
What does your experience with the carb swap yielded? MexXxentric, you stated that you had some experience with this. Could please get me detail figures on mileage please?

I'm nearing finalizing the deal, so feedback from all is important.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks