Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 22:56   #1

Building A Rubicon

Hi Folks, I Bought A 97mod Mm550 2wd In Jan 09 And This Is My First And Only 4wheeler. Now I Am Planning To Customise It Into A Rubicon Look-alike. I Plan To Do It On A Step By Step Basis As I Cant Invest Much At A Time.

Initially I'm Planning Wider Axles And Wider 16'' Or 17'' Tyres. Kandisa Told Me Of Bolero 4x4 Axles And Maxx Pickup Axles.

Are The Width Of Both The Axles Same? What Might Be Necessary Changes Involved? What Might Be The Cost?

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th May 2010 at 22:58.
Old 11th May 2010, 07:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since your jeep is presently 2wd, 1st convert into a 4wd. Browse through the older threads on the 4x4 sections, there are enough material on this. One latest thread is:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...t-mm540dp.html

Once you 've a 4wd jeep, then you can further concentrate on the monster looks.
As per customization on the looks, here are few threads worth browsing:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...imple-way.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...del-mm540.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-mm-550-a.html

On the wider track part, i once again request you to go through this thread in detail, everything has been discussed in quite an elaborated way:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...d-upgrade.html. If you further have queries on this part (wider track) post in the above thread itself.
As per cost,one of my friends recently got it done in his jeep. Changing the key components (not the entire set) for front OKBJ costs around 25-26k for new original Mahindra parts. Need to check what exactly were changed. As Arka has mentioned in his thread, complete set (2nd had, not new) costs something around 20k.

Last edited by Kandisa : 11th May 2010 at 07:34.
Old 16th May 2010, 23:52   #3

hi kandisa, went through the threads you had mentioned in your previous post. regarding 4wd conversion, change of the axles is necessary. so im planning wider axles at the same time. as such mods are unknown at my place, im depending on you people to get precise knowledge on what parts to source. even i have sent a pm to Arka n im awaiting his reply for sourcing the parts. regards, Govindraj.
Old 30th May 2010, 20:52   #4

Hi Bhpians, Finally My 550 Has Gone In For Body Work. Right Now Ill Not Be Doing The Axle Swap, Instead Im Goin In For Hub Change. As Per The Advise Of Kandisa, Im Changing To Marshal Hubs For Pcd Change. Coming To The Body Work, Im Planning A Bolero Windshield Frame And The Dome Behind The Bonnet And The Panels On Which The Door Hinges Fit. Im Also Planning To Reduce The Bonnet Height. Ill Get The Front Part Done First, Then Plan The Rear.
Old 30th May 2010, 23:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you stick to stock gypsy or jeep rim, with a decently wide tyre, no change of hub would be required. My suggestion, just be bit clear about what exactly you are trying to do with your jeep. Change of hub is not that important if you don't plan alloys soon. If you are not going for the 4wd conversion now and only want to focus on doing the bodywork, 1st complete that. Tyres & wheels are easy to fit and won't take much of time if you 've funds, so is the hub change. So get your jeep sorted out mechanically and aesthetically and keep the tyre & wheel as the last step. You never know, you 'll change the decision on size of tyres and types of rims once the look of the jeep is complete. And i once again request you to go ahead with the 4 wheel drive conversion, you can enjoy the real character of a jeep only with that.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2010, 00:14   #6
AVR
BHPian

Hubs, Rims & Axles

Hey man,

Read about your plans,
One option to Gypsy rims are the easily available FC (Forward Cab) rims available in the second-hand market, They are very sturdy as they were built for a load-carrying vehicle and fit into the 540 PCD so you don't need to change the hubs. I fitted those on my jeep and they are 5.5s so you'll be easily able to fit 235s and even 255s on those rims. Try looking out for them.

About changing axles, not sure you should widen them unless you've a strong reason for it. Changing the existing 2wd setup only requires a shift from a left off-set (left when you look at it from the rear) to a right off-set differential-axle setup which is largely a lathe job. Ofcourse you'll have to source the front differential and axle from a similar Mahindra vehicle (My 540 got its crown jewels from a Marshal which is a direct fit).
Also while you are at it, try sourcing the 9/44 crown pinions for the front and rear which give a good balance between off-roading and highway cruising compared to the 5.38s which are great offroad and the 3.xx which come in the scorpio. Getting a good KMT transfercase is also required. Good luck with your conversion and drop me a line if you need help!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 5th July 2012, 18:19   #7

Hi BHPians, I'm back with my 550. Had he'll lot of struggle with it to get it done. Finally it's running, but I'm not totally satisfied with the work. Still have a few issues to be settled. Please comment on the pics.
Attached Images

gr137 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 21:36   #8
BHPian

Re: Building A Rubicon

Pardon me, but I don't see any change in the Jeep except, maybe, a little straightened fenders, lowered bonnet lid and Bolero windscreen

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 6th July 2012 at 21:37.
Old 7th July 2012, 17:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair
Pardon me, but I don't see any change in the Jeep except, maybe, a little straightened fenders, lowered bonnet lid and Bolero windscreen
Sir, did you miss the rear door, the wide tyres, the ps unit, bolero dash board, car type seating, etc. Of course I have not elaborated the changes in my post. The work done may look very meagre, but to get it done at my place, I had to struggle a lot.
Old 7th July 2012, 18:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr137 View Post
Sir, did you miss the rear door, the wide tyres, the ps unit, bolero dash board, car type seating, etc. Of course I have not elaborated the changes in my post. The work done may look very meagre, but to get it done at my place, I had to struggle a lot.
Gr137, The PS unit, Bolero Dash, Car type seating are not visible in your pictures. No offense meant.
Old 8th July 2012, 00:40   #11

Ya, that's right, they're not visible. Shall post some pics with better details. Also need some help on certain issues from you people. I've fitted the bolero dash and instrument cluster on my 550, but I couldn't get a suitable Speedo cable to match the 550 worm & bolero cluster. Please help.
Old 8th July 2012, 15:52   #12

Some more pics of my 550
Attached Images

Old 15th July 2012, 16:09   #13

PCD adapter of my MM550
Attached Images

Old 16th July 2012, 11:11   #14
BHPian

Hi gr137, could you post the details of the front passenger seat mod for making it double flip. Which car seat is that?
Also the front facing rear seats look extremely well done. Could you disclose which seats are those.
Thanks a ton in advance sir.
Old 16th July 2012, 17:35   #15

All the seats are from a Sierra. The rear seat is original and it also has double flip. The front seats were in the sierra but doesn't belong to it originally. I believe it is a mid row seat from some MUV.

Most Viewed