Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 16:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Reinforcing the Jeep's Tailgate

It was bound to happen sooner or later. My Classic's tail gate has started drooping and it takes atleast 4-5 attempts to shut it properly. The added weight of the spare tyre has compounded the problem.

What to do about it?

I don't want to seal the door (some people have suggested it to me earlier).

I will be adding a luggage rack in the near future to carry an ice box and jerry can. Thus, the door hinges need even more reinforcement.

How to go about this? Can anyone give exact details so i can get the hinges reinforced by my local mechanic.

I don't want to go in for a custom bumper with integrated tyre rack, etc.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you put in new hinge and fix the tail gate. Then get a used spare tyre frame and fix it so that the weight is isolated from the gate. Its not a difficult job and is not costly also. Or remove the spare and put it inside on the floor, icebox etc can sit on top of it.

Alternative find a heavy duty hinge, you have the contacts in spare shop so shop around. And try to add a sturdier lock system on the opening side to take the weight off, you can mount it inside if the available options are fugly.

Best is to add the spare frame, since it will soon take the toll on the actual gate or the existing clamp etc ie assuming new tires are real heavy in comparison.

Just curious how much of weight diff between old and new tires? shouldnt be more than a kilo right?
Old 12th May 2010, 16:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Reinforce!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
It was bound to happen sooner or later. My Classic's tail gate has started drooping and it takes atleast 4-5 attempts to shut it properly. The added weight of the spare tyre has compounded the problem.

What to do about it?

I will be adding a luggage rack in the near future to carry an ice box and jerry can. Thus, the door hinges need even more reinforcement.

How to go about this? Can anyone give exact details so i can get the hinges reinforced by my local mechanic.

MAN!!!!!

Give it a Break!!!! Now you want a MM550XD Tail Gate

Check the M&M Major or the post 2002 MM550XD Tailgate and Swing Away Tire Carrier.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Just Bolt the Tail Gate and let it be, don't spoil the orignality, besides there is a lot of scientific reasoning and engineering.....

Last edited by ex670c : 12th May 2010 at 16:11.
Old 13th May 2010, 07:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:

What to do about it?

Hey tejas I have just got my prototype tailgate yesterday.

If you want your tailgate to work and not rattle or wobble forget about the mahindra tailgate....you can reinforce it any which way it can only improve the problem a little.

I know i have done it a number of ways, after a few otr's you will be back to square one.

I will post pictures of my tailgate a little later in the day(it is incomplete and in the rough stages)

It Is bolted to the chassis via a 4mm thick rectangular tube bolted at 6 points via 10mm bolts, the tailgate hinge uses ball bearings around a 25mm hardened pin.

The tailgatee locking mechanisim,tyre bolting flange and the support bracket for the tailgate when closed is pending but next otr you can have look at the finished product.
Old 13th May 2010, 07:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Can't the Jeeps Tailgate be shut permanently. Mine is closed permanently as I was told the tailgate was to give sure shot problems with the chassis bending while offroading.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Can't the Jeeps Tailgate be shut permanently. Mine is closed permanently as I was told the tailgate was to give sure shot problems with the chassis bending while offroading.
Shutting the rear tailgate permanently is the easy way around the problem and works....but for guys like me who carry a lot of stuff ,getting heavy stuff in and out of the jeep on an otr and otherwise would be a hurculean task with a fixed tailgate.

You mean the body, the jeep chassis would not flex enough to disrupt a tailgate fixed on the rear cross member.

Besides i am prepping Alfa Kilos jeep for something special...
Old 13th May 2010, 11:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Motocamp,

I'll check out your tailgate idea when we meet for the next recce.

Arkaji,

Thanks for the phone discussion. Will work on the gate rubbers this weekend and update.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:33   #8
AVR
BHPian

Quote:

Arkaji,

Thanks for the phone discussion. Will work on the gate rubbers this weekend and update.
@Tejas,

Please update this thread based on what you guys discussed. 2 days of regular usage and its bugging me. Want to solve this problem right away.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 13th May 2010, 14:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
@Tejas,

Please update this thread based on what you guys discussed. 2 days of regular usage and its bugging me. Want to solve this problem right away.

Cheers,
Adi
I'll update as soon as i do what is suggested with WIP pictures.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:58   #10
BHPian

This is what the tailgate i have designed looks like now remember it is incomplete still in the design stage.

But you can see it is strong ....with ram standing on it you can easily swing it shut due to the bearings around the pin and it does not wobble or sag.
Attached Thumbnails
Reinforcing the Jeep's Tailgate-dsc_0580.jpg  

Reinforcing the Jeep's Tailgate-dsc_0579.jpg  

Reinforcing the Jeep's Tailgate-dsc_0577.jpg  

Reinforcing the Jeep's Tailgate-dsc_0576.jpg  

Reinforcing the Jeep's Tailgate-dsc_0575.jpg  

Reinforcing the Jeep's Tailgate-dsc_0574.jpg  

Reinforcing the Jeep's Tailgate-dsc_0573.jpg  

Old 14th May 2010, 12:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Kunal, how do you lock/secure the tailgate?
Old 14th May 2010, 13:00   #12
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. And how do we ensure that the new tailgate that you make won't make the same type of rattling sound? And if there's a way of solving this problem with the new tailgate, why can't we just solve it with the existing tailgate! Am a bit confused now.

Adi
Old 14th May 2010, 13:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

hi motocamp
the tail gate looks a little inclined.
Reinforcing the Jeep's Tailgate-dsc_0580.jpg
Old 14th May 2010, 14:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The Tailgate will stop and rest on top of a adjustable block bolted to the rear fender while it is shut and will be secured with a clamp type lock.
Old 14th May 2010, 14:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

That looks like a great solution Kunal. If you guys had a CJ you would not be facing this problem ...or have i spoken too soon?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks