Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 11:09   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Premonsoon checks for your 4x4

Monsoon is around the corner and it's time to get the Jeep in ship shape.

My classic has never seen monsoon as of yet (since i bought her last november) and i want to make sure she is in leakproof state.

The following are the things i plan/need to do to get her monsoon prepped:

1. Change the rubber lining between the windshield and the tub. Everytime i go up an incline, the windshield washer discharges water due to gravity and it lands up leaking on my dashboard.

2. Check to see for leakages in the soft top. Patch up all leakages with rubber solution and small pieces of rexin from the inside.

3. Brakes are already serviced

4. Carry a lot of spare rags in plastic bags

5. Wiper blades to be changed

6. Keep a new can of WD40 and insulation tape ready.

7. Make sure all drain holes are not clogged

8. I have ripped out all carpeting

9. All wire joints need to be covered with another layer of insulation tape

10. Sand paper and spray paint all scratched areas of the body and chassis

11. Grease and oil (but this is anyways done after every OTR)

12. Car papers put in zip lock bags or plastic boxes inside the glove box

13. Carry extra zip lock bags or wallets, mobiles, etc

How to safeguard the electricals in the dashboard? I'm sure after everything, it will still leak.

In my gypsy, during the monsoons, when i used to start her for the first time in the day, a lot of water used to come in when i depressed the clutch. This was solved by blocking the vents on the bonnet. Any such issue in jeeps?

Any other precautions? Please add to the list.
Old 15th May 2010, 12:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Drop tire pressures slightly. If you normally run 32psi - get it down to about 28psi.

Drop speeds. If you drive at 100 normally - slow down to 70-80

Get used newspapers into the floorwells - refresh these once every couple of days.

Rainex solution works great on windscreen, windows, mirrors and the light lenses (headlight, tail lights etc.). Makes it easier to clean as well.

If your 4x4 doesn't come with internal lighting - get it fitted because it will be a LOT darker than usual and power cuts are common. You don't want to be searching for stuff with your cell phone screen as lighting.

Carry a flashlight in the car. Preferably the magnetic ones that can adhere to your vehicle's body. There are some fantastic LED flashlights that throw a fantastic beam!

Go tubeless - there is no worse horror than having to change your tires in knee deep water under a torrential downpour with no lights.
Old 15th May 2010, 17:01   #3
BHPian

Given Mumbai's corrosive weather, where does underbody coating for a jeep fit in? And if it does what is recommended?
Old 24th May 2010, 21:59   #4
AVR
BHPian

body floor solution

Guys,

My 540 has some sheet layer covering the flooring (colloquially called lambda??) over the metal floor. My concern is that should I remove it as it seems to soak water and will rust the entire body floor once it gets wet or should I just cover it with another layer of something water proof?

Premonsoon checks for your 4x4-image_171.jpg

Not sure if the attached pic gives you an idea? A guy suggested putting a rexin/laminate sort of sofa set material on top of it and sealing it at the edges with something like m-seal or some sealant. Sounded like a rather complicated process so wondering what I should do.

What do you guys think? Stripping it off will result in a rather heated up floor isn't it?

Adi

Most Viewed