Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:55   #16
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My dear Watson, I can clearly read and understand english and i know what the two threads are about. What i said, is to do a search and you will find that this has been covered earlier. That was just one thread i had posted about. Anyways, i'm not lazy, so here you go, i'm quoting from the other threads:
OT: Thanks Tejas. Of course there are no doubts about your English. In fact I am now much more confident of your ability to find anything using Tbhp search than mine

Cheers and see you in a few days,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 14:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Axle / differential breathers - how important are they?

Read about dif breathers on a post by Shibu on 4x4India page and saw some diff breather plug/cap/filters. Got me intrigued and even fazalsir asked the same question.

A bit of googling came up with this fabulous DIY and i thought i must share it with people here.

Source:Jeep Cherokee Suspension - Differential Vent Tube Extensions

Copying pasting for ease:

Axle / differential breathers - how important are they?-01.png
Axle / differential breathers - how important are they?-02.png
Axle / differential breathers - how important are they?-03.png
Axle / differential breathers - how important are they?-04.png

Here's another option as well using normal air filters:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45533

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 6th April 2012 at 14:31. Reason: added another link
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 09:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read about dif breathers on a post by Shibu on 4x4India page and saw some diff breather plug/cap/filters. Got me intrigued and even fazalsir asked the same question.

A bit of googling came up with this fabulous DIY and i thought i must share it with people here.
Tejas,

The illustration posted by you is helpful in DIY. I too need to go for an extra length pipe for the droop loop.

This is a very simple and inexpensive way of safe guarding your diffs and Gb from foreign matter entering them. A Maruti petrol filter the open end of the pipe is ideal and easily available/ replaceable. In all, one would need three pipes and three filters (front diff, rear diff and Gb+aux. Gb, connected with a T).

Of course, it is assumed here that all are aware of the reason for breather pipes on diffs and Gb and also the aux. Gb. A refresher, it s to keep water out during water fording. When the Jeep is driven in water above the submerge level of the diffs and Gb the breather pipe sticks above the water level, thus preventing water entering through the breather nipples that are provided to vent out hot gasses.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 7th April 2012 at 09:18.
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 18:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Some vehicles specify the "Wading Depth", Pajero 600mm, Fortuner 700mm etc. Does that mean that there is no need for the breather pipes upto this depth?
Old 10th April 2012, 18:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Some vehicles specify the "Wading Depth", Pajero 600mm, Fortuner 700mm etc. Does that mean that there is no need for the breather pipes upto this depth?
IMO you still need pipes. The wading depth specified is the height above which the air intake is.

There should be breather pipes unless the vehicle comes equipped with it.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 10th April 2012 at 18:53. Reason: typo
Old 11th April 2012, 09:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO you still need pipes. The wading depth specified is the height above which the air intake is.

There should be breather pipes unless the vehicle comes equipped with it.
Let me be more explicit. As long as I am below the "wading depth", do I need to install breather pipes, or does the wading depth specify safe depth that can be traversed without any extra preparation?
Old 11th April 2012, 09:13   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Let me be more explicit. As long as I am below the "wading depth", do I need to install breather pipes, or does the wading depth specify safe depth that can be traversed without any extra preparation?
Yes, you need to install if the vehicle doesn't come with the breathing pipes.

When a manufacturer mentions wading depth he means you can safely do it some time without seizing the engine. Water may still enter the diff but will not destroy it in one go as water would if it entered the engine. You can wade in an emergency and then just go and replace the oil in the diff. This is my opinion interpretation.

If you do it often, get breathing pipes installed.

EDIT: i assume that when you say below wading depth, i mean just below the specified depth but the diff is still under water. If the diff is not completely submerged in water, you are safe.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 11th April 2012 at 09:14. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 16:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Diff breathers for Hyundai Tucson

Hi,

I am taking the Tucson to Leh and have been learning about the precautions in general. I am well aware that Tucson does not have much reputation in off-roading world and it's AWD setup is quite basic (no low range, a multiplate cluth based coupling to rear axle, no diff locks, etc) and I will avoid any water crossings as much as I can. But from experience of many who have been to Leh, there may be situations where one may have to go through some water and that's why I want to take the precaution and get breather tubes for the diffs and transfer case for the Tucson. Can someone help me - where can I buy those from? I have convinced my SA that I need this (though I will try my best not to use them) and he agreed to install them for me, but he does not know where to order them from.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st May 2013, 16:55   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Diff breathers for Hyundai Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi,

Can someone help me - where can I buy those from? I have convinced my SA that I need this (though I will try my best not to use them) and he agreed to install them for me, but he does not know where to order them from.

Thanks in advance.
Any rubber reinforced pipe which will snuggly fit over the breather valve or the differential and a clamp to hold it in place will do (Make sure the fit is perfect and no leakage will happen). A few zip ties evenly spaced to hold the pipe in place till the level you wish to run the pipe under your hood.

See the pic posted previously in the thread.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 17:11   #25
BANNED

Friends,
During the last BAOTR we where in slush terrain on the last day evening.Came out of the slush pit as in the below pics. Driven 20kms after the event on the tarmac, heavy grinding noise came from the rear diff.My mech forgot to insert the breather tube. Entire crown pinion set,spider and bearings conked off.Had to replace the total unit and now inserted the breather tube at hi level closed with a Banjo bolt at the top with pin holes opened.
Attached Thumbnails
Axle / differential breathers - how important are they?-20130126_163444.jpg  

Rajith is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks