Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 10:38   #1
BHPian

Cost of Gypsy king 5 Speed Gear Box

Hi All, I am planning to change my Gypsy Engine to either 1.3 or 1.6 Engine. Since my Current engine is 1.0ltr with 4 Speed Gb. I have to change the Gear box to Gypsy King 5 speed Gb, no matter i go for 1.3ltr or 1.6ltr engine's. 1.3ltr Engine is easily available but sourcing King Gb is the toughest part. So I decided to get the Gb first and later try to find a good engine either 1.3 or 1.6. Now I get a call from my mech saying he has a king GB but quoting 18k for it. Is it really worth that much? He usually goes to Delhi and get the spares for Jeeps/Gypsy’s. Guy’s I need your valuable inputs.

Last edited by krishnathanthri : 14th June 2010 at 10:48.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:38   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
Hi All, I am planning to change my Gypsy Engine to either 1.3 or 1.6 Engine. Since my Current engine is 1.0ltr with 4 Speed Gb. I have to change the Gear box to Gypsy King 5 speed Gb, no matter i go for 1.3ltr or 1.6ltr engine's. 1.3ltr Engine is easily available but sourcing King Gb is the toughest part. So I decided to get the Gb first and later try to find a good engine either 1.3 or 1.6. Now I get a call from my mech saying he has a king GB but quoting 18k for it. Is it really worth that much? He usually goes to Delhi and get the spares for Jeeps/Gypsy’s. Guy’s I need your valuable inputs.
A new one (Part no. 21099M83300) costs INR 59964.15; so I guess 18K is about reasonable.

Nitin
Old 15th June 2010, 13:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Depends on what condition the box, if its in mint condition as in just requires a check, clean up and install then i think price is ok, since its a difficult find. If its a butchered piece requiring major overhaul try to limit it to 10-12 k max.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
12k-14k is the price band for used GBs. Assume that its an abused one & requires overhauling.
As you are not in a hurry, you can wait for the right price.

When you get the gear box, get the flywheel and Starter as well. its required for the transplant.
If you are planning for mpfi transplant, identify the electrician who can do the job in a neat way. It requires hell lot of patience & concentration to splice & bunch the wiring harness.
Old 26th June 2010, 03:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My suggestion would be to try and get it for as less as possible since the condition of the gearbox is unknown. Now if its an abused one then you gave to spend more and overhaul it and if it is a good one which is rare then you are lucky.

Most Viewed