Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:58   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Ride quality of a gypsy is horrendous, no one dares to sit in my vehicle even though they want to.

How can the gypsy suspension be tweaked with costs not skyrocketting?
CFLs are one option, everyone has a +ve response to the rear CFL.

Apart from that, can the suspension be changed and the ride smoothened.
You can try the Old Man Emu suspension though expensive (50K) it changes the complete ride in the gypsy - Much smoother than the stock setup.
I know because I had put it for a friend's Gypsy.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Nothing, absolutely nothing can match up to a short wheel base my friend :-)

And I have sat in and driven your jeep in an OTR approximately 5 years back
Even if I agree to agree with the "nothing to match up" a SWB, my suggestion to you still would be to have a 540, if you can afford and maintain one, coz in Jeeps nothing can match the ride quality of a 540/550 as far as my little experience and knowledge goes. Moreover I havent seen a single bit of terrain on Tbhp that hasnt been conquered by a medium chassis with a decent tyre set up and better driver in it. Your point I would say is relative but best proved in extremely few circumstances which I am yet to observe first hand...

Venkat, my jeep has changed quite a bit since it reached my previous owner and me...Im pretty sure you will notice quite a bit of change once you get in it this time. Though there are vibrations running through the shell and noise, which I will take care of progressively with air bellows or anything that is better than the normal bushes, I can assure you that the ride quality with 40psi on NDMS 7.00-16s is surprisinishingly brilliant!!! And no I dont have to use a sand bag in the rear

p.s: my jeep is running a complete new leaf spring set and dampers

Last edited by The Wolf : 23rd June 2010 at 12:59.
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Even if I agree to agree with the "nothing to match up" a SWB, my suggestion to you still would be to have a 540, if you can afford and maintain one, coz in Jeeps nothing can match the ride quality of a 540/550 as far as my little experience and knowledge goes. Moreover I havent seen a single bit of terrain on Tbhp that hasnt been conquered by a medium chassis with a decent tyre set up and better driver in it. Your point I would say is relative but best proved in extremely few circumstances which I am yet to observe first hand...

Venkat, my jeep has changed quite a bit since it reached my previous owner and me...Im pretty sure you will notice quite a bit of change once you get in it this time. Though there are vibrations running through the shell and noise, which I will take care of progressively with air bellows or anything that is better than the normal bushes, I can assure you that the ride quality with 40psi on NDMS 7.00-16s is surprisinishingly brilliant!!! And no I dont have to use a sand bag in the rear

p.s: my jeep is running a complete new leaf spring set and dampers
Ofcourse da, I am just pulling your leg as usual. You are the newest fresher in our community, 1st year of ownership, you will be ragged on all threads and in person in all OTR's until you finish 1 year of ownership.

How much did your new OE set of leaf's and dampers cost you? Are they absolute OE? Are the dampers Gabriel?

40 PSI is too much - be careful under hard braking, you will lose control of the jeep (rear will slide out). Bring it down to about 26 PSI.
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse da, I am just pulling your leg as usual. You are the newest fresher in our community, 1st year of ownership, you will be ragged on all threads and in person in all OTR's until you finish 1 year of ownership.
LOL, I know...and Im enjoying every bit of it playing innocent Lets discuss machines sometime, you will know what I mean...hehe!

Quote:
How much did your new OE set of leaf's and dampers cost you? Are they absolute OE? Are the dampers Gabriel?
Lucky for me I didnt get em, it was done by Shekhar and the previous owner (not your friend). Yes, it is the complete stock set with gabriels.

Quote:
40 PSI is too much - be careful under hard braking, you will lose control of the jeep (rear will slide out). Bring it down to about 26 PSI.
Yes, you are correct, the braking does feel a little dicey at 40psi but WTH it feels awesome in the city under 50kmph with the bonus of power-steering like feeling. I tried 35psi also, that feels like comfort mode

p.s: Im a little surprised to see max psi mentioned as 115 on the tyre What is this a tyre or some gas fuel rail??!!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 23rd June 2010 at 14:12.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
You can try the Old Man Emu suspension though expensive (50K) it changes the complete ride in the gypsy - Much smoother than the stock setup.
I know because I had put it for a friend's Gypsy.
What is an Old Man Emu Suspension?

Have no idea about it. Can you help explain please?

Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Old Man Emu is the name of the company, here is something for the Gypsy aka Suzuki Samurai in the west;

Old Man Emu for your Suzuki Samurai, Jimny, Sierra, SJ410, Santana
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Old Man Emu is the name of the company..
I think the name of the company is ARB, OME is the (brand) name of the suspension itself.
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I think the name of the company is ARB, OME is the (brand) name of the suspension itself.
You are correct, the manufacturer is ARB...and OME is their 4x4 suspension category.
Old 24th June 2010, 01:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys, checked the site.
Old 24th June 2010, 09:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
to add on to the info already here,
These suspensions come with the following
1) 4 sets of leaf springs (2rear, 2 Front)
2) 4 Shock absorbers
3) All rubber bushings required
4) Steering damper (heavy duty one)

These were fitted by one of my mechanics in about 1.5 hours!!

ohh and yeah they are available in Bangalore - Off the shelf

Cheers
GB

PM sent
Old 24th June 2010, 11:01   #26
BHPian

Venkat, For reducing NVH to some extent, you can use Wurth sound deadening pads to suppress internal vibration noises caused by vibrating body parts like wheel arch, floor etc. Also for temperature insulation they have polyurethane foam mats which can be used around the engine bay.
Old 24th June 2010, 23:28   #27
BANNED

RED LINER thanks for opening up a interesting thread !

Are the CFLs available for MM540/550s and are they available for front too??

And is it possible to change the suspension set up to coil spring?
Old 25th June 2010, 23:17   #28
BHPian

Hey Gypsy Boy ! Can you please tell me where you sourced the suspension kit from and the cost? I have an old Gypsy that i am in the process of making a little more travel friendly. How are the old man emu kits comparable with the CFL leaves? Please advice.

Manmohan.
Old 26th June 2010, 09:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Hey Gypsy Boy ! Can you please tell me where you sourced the suspension kit from and the cost? I have an old Gypsy that i am in the process of making a little more travel friendly. How are the old man emu kits comparable with the CFL leaves? Please advice.

Manmohan.

Hey there
The OME suspension id avalable at the place mentioned in the link below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1049266-post22.html
His website - http://www.4x4offroad.in/index.htm

Cost - ~50K

I believe this guy has the distribution for lots of products in India

Cheers
GB

Last edited by Gypsy-Boy : 26th June 2010 at 10:06. Reason: Info added
Old 26th June 2010, 11:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The gas shocks are usually used for load carrying vehicles. So they will absorb impact a lot better than our regular dampers. But I just want dampers that help soften the ride on the roads. So are the stock ones the best bet? Nothing better in the local market?
Gas shocks if procured correctly [I mean tell me your max compression and rebound you want] will do wonders to your jeep. It is NOT HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
If I plan to make ride comfort on the jeep I start with suspension. The leaf spring should be thin in size. No of spring should be more in a single set. I prefer smooth surface on the spring. If needed sand the surface. Use good quality lubricant on the surfaces of spring.reduces friction between the spring. Next camber of spring properly set. Spring mounting, I go for bigger rubber bushes. Bit of porch alter is needed. Now for shocks, double acting shocks with long stroke. I stick to hydraulic shocks. Even soft double shocks on each suspension will work. Handling will improve. Body roll minimize.

Now for engine bedding. Tata sumo or tavera mounts are fine. Gear box mount, stick to jeep OE. Add a small 2 wheeler shocks next to the engine mount connected to the engine. K/H shocks will do. Use a fixable pipe starting of silencer pipe from the engine. It is available in the market in different dia. lot of vibration is reduced. Use good rubber rings to hold silencer pipe. Remove all body panels like fender, front grill, refit it using rubber sealant between the joint. This will make the body one unit. Seats, I look for firm and rigid type. Body mounts: any good rubber mount will do. Tubeless or soft side wall tyre work wonders.
Good points Sir

Quote:
Ride quality of a gypsy is horrendous, no one dares to sit in my vehicle even though they want to.

How can the gypsy suspension be tweaked with costs not skyrocketting?
CFLs are one option, everyone has a +ve response to the rear CFL.
I've used Peddars GAS SHOCKS on my gypsy and the ride as well as handling was AWESOME.

Venkat, interesting thread and some great options.

@THE_WOLF: WOuld like to experience your 540 with air suspension. Is it similar to the one in the TLCs done at Coimbatore?

Most Viewed