Team-BHP - Possible to climb over HUGE sand dunes ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Possible to climb over HUGE sand dunes ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/84186-possible-climb-over-huge-sand-dunes.html)

I found this picture on the internet. It is literally the mother of all dunes. Do you think there's any vehicle which can clamber over that?

Descending should be fine although a little hair-raising, but what kind of power would you require to climb?

Climbing this :eek:??? May not be possible.

Sand doesn't offer enough friction. Even with loads of power, wheels will keep rotating without going forward.

Almost:

YouTube - Crazy sand dune hill climbing race truck roll over crash-nice save

Or get the craz icelanders in their hill climbers. Should be a piece of cake for them.

OMG! Descending itself seems to be challenging in those angles especially through the loose dunes.

@Bullet:

Stock offroaders might not be able to ascend this one...but nitro/methanol/alcohol powered 3L 2JZ's/22R's might find this a piece of cake ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 1950108)
@Bullet:

Stock offroaders might not be able to ascend this one...but nitro/methanol/alcohol powered 3L 2JZ's/22R's might find this a piece of cake ;)

Piece of cake? I have my doubts about that.

Even the Icelandic 'Formula Offroaders' may run out of breath by the time they reach the top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by '72 Bullet (Post 1950178)
Piece of cake? I have my doubts about that.

Even the Icelandic 'Formula Offroaders' may run out of breath by the time they reach the top.

Check this out...

YouTube - ‫?????‬‎

The Arabs have the know-how of taming their dunes ;)

in the Spitfires' vid, thats called presence of mind ! Awesome

Dear all - I remember to have come down a huge sand dune the height of a 4 storied building during a Great Escape in 2002 in Mandawa in Rajasthan. It was quite a task coming down in low range. Going up the thingy? At least I have not attempted.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 1950294)
Dear all - I remember to have come down a huge sand dune the height of a 4 storied building during a Great Escape in 2002 in Mandawa in Rajasthan. It was quite a task coming down in low range. Going up the thingy? At least I have not attempted.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Behram Sir, your jeeps are way too under powered to take it up the other way around :D The only hope is the biggest buzz word in town- "Thar", when are we trying this one at Mandawa??

remember seeing a video in which a nissan patrol(swb) climbing up even steeper slope.

Its possible if the right machine is on the right hands.:)

Nothing is impossible. But we have to see if it is really feasible.IMHO the gradient here is about 60-70 degrees. The best of the tanks which have tracks may be able to climb it. In addition to gradient another factor is the height of the dune. It may be possible to cross a sand dune from knuckle end of this gradient if height is very less.

As far as sliding down is considered, if the vehicle is in speed its likely to topple down. It happened to me once when, while negotiating the dunes I came across a sudden downfall in the height and the vehicle was in a decent speed. I dont know how we survived that fall. :D

Anybody who has taken desert safaris in Dubai would be somewhat familiar with such things. In order to climb anything (even with partially deflated tires and 4X4) you need momentum, which can only come when you are descending another larger hill. These drivers know exactly how much they can climb with such momentum and the moment they are about to run out of momentum, they, kind of take a U turn and descend back. There is not enough traction with loose/dry sand to climb against the gravity.

@ wolf and spitfire

:eek:

p.s. wish i could get the tongue to hang down a few inches. The videos are amazing, those guys are insane.