Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:05   #1
BHPian

Bolero SC Turbo

I have got a brand new Bolero SC Turbo Single cab, brought by an enthusiastic owner who want to do a bit of 4x4. My Job was to put a winch and a few accessories that will make his off road trips without getting stuck.

The Bolero having such a nice engine and transmission, was a big dissappointment that you can not put this power down for intended use of 4x4, because of some elementry design faults.

The engineers at Mahendra who designed the 4x4 version has probably not been off road, and the 4x4 version is an after thought, from the 4x2 version truck.

Firstly, the Intercooler is in the front of the vehicle behind the bumper where usually a placed reserved for winch fitment. On a 4x4 when wading this will clog it up in no time. This could easily be located higher.

Then The Wheel well is compromised to accomodate front Lights, which stops the wheel before the suspnsion limits out.

The Fuel tank is a rectangular block that sits behind the rear Diff, low as the diff. A trap when you want to reverse.

The silencer, is lower than the chassis, and a side step lower than the silencer.

The departure angle is a straight line.

The Body on the drivers side has an indent for the Clutch and the brake pedals to move its full stroke. Water retains in this well.

The Central locking is fitted on the kicker panel, on the floor board level, which started shorting when water came in. Also the radio consol is fitted so low, that it will submerge before the gear shift.

Worst of all the sound proofing is sponge type material that soakes up water, and fixed on the inner mudgaurds, soaking mud.

This Engine Transmission and the Ratio of this vehicle is capable of keeping up with some of the best 4x4's. But why has the designers given factory obstacles that does not give this machine a chance off road?

Last edited by LKCRUISERS : 23rd June 2010 at 20:08.
Old 24th June 2010, 09:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKCRUISERS View Post

The departure angle is a straight line.

Quite frustrating, I can understand that !

Quote:
...But why has the designers given factory obstacles that does not give this machine a chance off road?
Guess they did not intend this vehicle (Bolero 4X4) to be used as a serious off-roader.

Welcome to the 'off-roading-enthusiast-frustrated-with-Mahindra4x4-issues' club !
Old 24th June 2010, 17:21   #3
KMT
BHPian

LKCruisers
Out of curiosity, what alternatives are available for you in Colombo (at this features/price range)?
I am based in Oz and am amazed at the relatively high quality of Chinese 4x4s that are priced much lower than Mahindra products here, have they reached Srilanka yet?

In India a majority of people by M&M products due to lack of choice of alternatives (within this functionality/price range).

As M&M have a virtual monopoly they keep passing on under-engineered products.

Please pass on your comments to senior M&M mgt who are on this forum. Two names Spike Arrestor & Dhabar Behram (who run the centre for 4WD excellence at Mahindra), they appear to be enthusiasts and I expect they will take your feedback seriously.

I am surprised that more people have not posted their views on this thread.

Mods- do you want to move it to the 4x4 Vehicles section where more people will see it?
Old 24th June 2010, 17:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
...I am surprised that more people have not posted their views on this thread...
Once the EXAMMs and AKC are over, there will be more activity on this thread, I guess.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...nd-june-7.html
Old 24th June 2010, 21:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
LKCruisers
Out of curiosity, what alternatives are available for you in Colombo (at this features/price range)?

This vehicle cost SLR 1.8m, for 2.25 you can buy a Mitsubishi L200. The chinese vehicles are too difficult to identify, the same vehicles or copy of Japanese models comes badged "Great Wall", "Go Now", "Jac" etc, with no or little dealership back up. At least Mahindra has a dealer that is there for the past 5 years to take the customer complaint. Also the lowest priced diesel 4x4.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:07   #6
BHPian

@LKCRUISERS, does TATA sell any 4x4s in Sri Lanka ? If you know, how do you feel they compare with Mahindra ?
Old 24th June 2010, 22:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
As M&M have a virtual monopoly they keep passing on under-engineered products.
It is not really under engineered, as there are improvements with a Turbo intercooled engine, matched with a nice final drive, I felt it was similar to a 200Tdi Land Rover 90 without the Turbo Lag. That is what impressed me, but they have been lazy with the rest of the improvements.

For example how much would it cost to re route the silencer on the 4x4 model ? There is plenty of room to do it. How much would it cost to improve the exit angle ? which does not even compromise loading space.

If the finishing touches are attended to, it is a lot of vehicle for the money, especially for our parts of the world, where comparatively the Bolero is more suited than the new trends of 4x4's with carl-like features wrapped with so recycled plastic.

Last edited by LKCRUISERS : 24th June 2010 at 22:35.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

If possible, could you please post some pics of the Bolero 4X4...would be interested in knowing if there are any differences between the ones sold here in India.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:00   #9
BHPian

@ LK

Would be extremely interesting to have an experienced off-roader such as yourself dissect the Bolero.

1) What engine, gearbox, transfer-case, chassis and final-drive ratio does your Bolero have?

2) Does it have IFS or live axle? FFRA or SFRA?

3) How does it compare to other legends like the Suzuki Samurai, Land Cruisers and Land-rovers? Besides the thought-less design, how does it fare during climbs and other obstacles?

Sorry for the questions, I am just curious to get your impressions.

Have fun and take care.
Old 25th June 2010, 13:22   #10
BHPian

I'm hoping Mr Behram and Spike Arrestor are reading this.

-- Torqy
Old 30th June 2010, 20:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This vehicle cost SLR 1.8m, for 2.25 you can buy a Mitsubishi L200.
Hey Sean, Good to hear your views on this.

BTW, the L200 is pretty decent with a good ability that puts many on similar wheelbase to shame!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I'm hoping Mr Behram and Spike Arrestor are reading this.

-- Torqy
I'm sure BD, Spike and Vinod will read this shortly and do the needful
Old 1st July 2010, 16:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Bolero.

Hi Sean,

M&M is Mass producing the 2WD Vehicles, and since only 2% of their vehicles are 4WDs, then don't go into the nitty-gritties.

JUST REMOVE THE OFFENDING PARTS, and Chop the rear over Hang.

The Front is Dana 44 19 Spline (4.55:1)
Rear is Dana 44 30 Spline (SFRA) 19 Spline (FFRA) (4.55:1)

You can easily lower the Differential Ratio to 4.88:1

The vehicle is very robust and once stripped and tricked out, will be quite good off-road.

Regards,

Arka
Old 5th July 2010, 16:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Sean,

The Front is Dana 44 19 Spline (4.55:1)
Rear is Dana 44 30 Spline (SFRA) 19 Spline (FFRA) (4.55:1)
Hi Arka, thanks for the info, felt like 4.56. The rear is a SFRA, if it is 30 spline I can get an Air Locker in.

I am quite impressed with its power, and if my client do not mind the chopping, can make a good off roader out of it, give the rest of the brands a run for their money.

It is shame that only 2% of these are made in 4x4. Is the Invader with the same Engine and Tranny ?

Looking at the chassis rail it will be an easy coil conversion.
Old 5th July 2010, 16:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey Sean, Good to hear your views on this.

BTW, the L200 is pretty decent with a good ability that puts many on similar wheelbase to shame!!

I'm sure BD, Spike and Vinod will read this shortly and do the needful
This is what we do with the L200, will post the bolero picture soon
Attached Thumbnails
Bolero SC Turbo-l_200_picture1.jpg  

Old 5th July 2010, 16:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Specs also, please !

Quote:
...I am quite impressed with its power, and ...
Please let us know the engine and other specs, along with pics. Curious to know if it is the MDI3200TC or some other more powerful engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks