Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 13:11   #1
BHPian

Rock slider question

I am hoping this is the appropriate section to post this question.

Was searching for rock sliders for Fortuner and came across this

How to build rock sliders. - Page 3 - SA 4x4 Community Forum - The only forum for the offroad and 4x4 enthusiast

Background:
Earlier, I had a scorpio and the Aluminium footboard that comes standard has taken some beating in places I regularly visit, and I see that fortuner also has similar footboards.

I would hate to do the same thing to my new vehicle.

Anybody who has experience with fortuner already, I would appreciate your experience about the standard footboard taking a hit.

Is there any rock sliders available off the shelf?

If not, is there anyone who can make this as per the design/specs given in the link? (first pref in Bangalore itself)

Would not want it for the show alone, it should serve the purpose.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 27th August 2010, 01:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

I remember Khan_Sultan (Shanawaz) making one for his Gypsy and he is from bangalore. try searching his threads, you shall find more info.
Old 28th August 2010, 22:53   #3
BANNED

Some else in this forum has done a custom skid plate and rock slider for Grand Vitara,Just cant recollect the name,he will be the right person to guide
Old 30th August 2010, 10:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Some else in this forum has done a custom skid plate and rock slider for Grand Vitara,Just cant recollect the name,he will be the right person to guide
That's Samurai. I don't think he has gone for Rock sliders.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can probably have somebody local to you fab these. It's not rocket science. You just have to have some strong steel welded and/or bolted to your chassis, protruding far enough to give clearance to your upper body sheet metal should you meet a tree or titanoboa out there in the muck. One nice thing about a strong tube or grate type rock slider is that it will not accumulate mud and crap the way your present running boards probably do. The hardest part of this is trying to get passed the astonished look of complete incomprehensibility your local welder is likely to give you.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 31st August 2010 at 11:36.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

here is a link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...s-etc-etc.html
Old 6th September 2010, 13:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey rajan, some people do get confused when it comes to the term 'rock sliders'.

Side rails/side steps and rock sliders act as a shield between your 4x4’s vulnerable lower panels and rocks or road debris encountered during OTRs and offroad travel. When driving off road, your vehicle's lower panels are highly susceptible to damage from road debris and obstacles.

some people use side step board as rock sliders, some use protection steps as rock sliders.

generally you can catagorise the rock sliders as under:

1. SIDE RAILS AND STEPS
2. PROTECTION STEPS
3. ROCK SLIDERS

Designed specifically for the genuine 4x4 offroad vehicles like gypsy, MM550, CJ3B etc. Genuine rock sliders are built with high quality steel for optimal strength and you should get them fabricated by a reputed steel fabricator only.

here are some photos for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock slider question-protection-steps.jpg  

Rock slider question-rockslider.jpg  

Rock slider question-side-step-being-used-rock-slider.jpg  

Rock slider question-1.jpg  

Rock slider question-superslider_end.jpg  

Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2010, 12:05   #8
BHPian

Thanks Parm,
Dont know if you had a chance to look through the link I had posted.

Thats a proper Rock Slider design along with protection for the lowerbody/doors from flying stones, and this will also extends lil outside for side protection, and can be used as a step if you want.

Looks like I will have to get this done with fabricators. hmm. may be when I have time.
Old 9th October 2010, 15:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Pvrajan you can check out www.ironman4X4.COM for offroading stuff for the Fortuner. they have a representative in Bangalore. I was going to order alot off stuff for my car from them, till i decided to keep a car only for Offroading puposes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks