Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 06:37   #61
BANNED

Re: Offroad Tools Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Impressive collection of garage tools. I'm wondering how any of them are specifically "Off Road" tools. These are tools used in any car or vehicle. Kindly elaborate on your offroad specific tools please as the thread says.
You are right , but may be the thread title needs bit of an editing , it can be 'Tools for off roaders , etc .

Jokes apart but going by the letter of law there must be very few tools that will classify as ' Off road tools ' , ( may be only recovery gear )
Tools itself are versatile , you can use it in workshop or on Road ,

So I guess its the ' Users head ' ( mind ) or presence of mind that will enable him to choose & take along & use the above displayed tools on the Trail itself

Quote:
Sorry not meaning to be a party pooper, just that the threads going elsewhere
Hey not at all , in fact welcome to the party , not only you but all those Jeepers

Now going back to the main topic , here is a Spanner ( 17 mm Ring ) which I specially use for the 2112 cc Peugeot exhaust , as there is very narrow space for other tool to perform ( this was shown earlier also , but adding with illustration

Offroad Tools Thread-dscn2610.jpg

Offroad Tools Thread-dscn2611.jpg

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 29th June 2011 at 06:39.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 08:20   #62
Senior - BHPian

I wonder who/how-many has ever seen a spanner like that.! What is the technical name for that?

----------edit-------
Quote:
Impressive collection of garage tools. Im wondering how any of them are specifically "Off Road" tools. These are tools used in any car or vehicle
Right, may be this thread should be called a Jeepers tools thread. All tools here are super and good to have, many - MUST. A breakdown can happen even on highway and few tools can help you out.

Sudharshan - Help me with a pic of this tool in question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sharath - your Jeep looks really good. As far as solenoid switch is concerned, after you remove the 27 mm spanner switch body (for which you would ideally use a 27 mm size deep box spanner), there is a plunger inside. If you remove the plunger and keep it and put the 27 mm cover only, the solenoid does not perform its intended function of stopping the fuel flow so you can merrily drive the vehicle even with a dead battery or in the worst case even without a battery. I recall that in the rotary FIP, there used to be a mechanical stop lever, which could be operated by a cable similar to the MDI engine. Just check if the lever is there. If yes, please attach a cable and use it to stop the engine and just knock the solenoid plunger off.
How does one operate it? I mean, is something other than the 27MM deep box spanner, like a long ROD thats needed?

Last edited by svsantosh : 29th June 2011 at 08:38.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 10:08   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I wonder who/how-many has ever seen a spanner like that.! What is the technical name for that?
I bought it many years back ,when I was 'shopping ' for tools -- I saw it on the racks & asked about it to the owner . According to him these kind of spanners are used in Cummins diesels . Anyway I liked it & I bought it .
But frankly wasn't sure about its use ,though later on it proved useful in many a odd jobs .

Quote:
-- All tools here are super and good to have, many - MUST. A breakdown can happen even on highway and few tools can help you out.
Not only that but practice to use & most importantly common sense & good presence of mind will rescue you

Quote:
How does one operate it? I mean, is something other than the 27MM deep box spanner, like a long ROD thats needed?
I know about this thing but frankly haven't tried it once , but as soon as I come to practice something on this I will surely share --- till then PM DB sir for a pic

Sudarshan
Old 29th June 2011, 10:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Im wondering how any of them are specifically "Off Road" tools.
These are tools used in any car or vehicle.
Kindly elaborate on your offroad specific tools please as the thread says.
yes i said that post pictures or post the list of tools ideal for offroad & to be used in home garage by offroader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
please share, discuss, debate about tools which are needed for armature/hardcore offroaders. (jeeps,gypsys,LR's,all included)

or give the list of tools that you guys use at home or in OTR.
in my case all the tools are meant for my home workshop (DIY) & to be kept in jeep in OTR.

if the post is really you can always report it.

rgds,
Nikhil

EDIT:
MODS please change the title of the thread if necessary.

Last edited by jeepster : 29th June 2011 at 10:57.
Old 29th June 2011, 10:54   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
I bought it many years back ,when I was 'shopping ' for tools -- I saw it on the racks & asked about it to the owner . According to him these kind of spanners are used in Cummins diesels .
Those are called "Half moon ring spanners" or commonly referred to as C-Type ring spanner. There is a S-Type spanner also. A very useful tool in some situations.

Spike
Old 29th June 2011, 17:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
yes i said that post pictures or post the list of tools ideal for offroad & to be used in home garage by offroader.

if the post is really you can always report it.

Oh Come on Nikhil.....!! You know I didnt mean it that way!

I Apologize if i have offended anyone, didnt mean to, honest.

Quote:
EDIT:
MODS please change the title of the thread if necessary.
Yes Mods Kindly do change appropriately.

Sudarshanjee, i have never seen the "Half moon" Spanner before and i thought you had done some of your famous DIY stuff on that when i saw your posted pic but seriously that is one hack of a useful tool to reach odd places. Though i have seen the "S" type as mentioned by Spikey.
Old 29th June 2011, 19:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Here is a link to the Gedore Catalog

GEDORE - Produkte[list_set]=118931,102618

Go to the spanners and scroll down to see the Half Moon
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 20:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh Come on Nikhil.....!! You know I didnt mean it that way!
no i am not offended.

i just used the off topic smilie instead writing OT so it looked like that.

any ways i used the title of Offroad Tools Thread as this was a tools thread in offroad section.

rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 29th June 2011 at 20:59.
Old 15th November 2011, 22:07   #69
BANNED

Dear All ,
I have something to share here , while I was cleaning my Parts Room cum library- I stumbled over this. It was lying there without use for few years now as a winch & a highlift has taken its place . I thought sharing may be beneficial .

you can call it a recovery tool , I was using it for recovery of Jeep , it has a 4 feet long some 1" wide link chain , this thing can actually lift a bigger vehicle like Landy from one side ( have tried it )

I had bought it old , so dont know the exact specifications , I will service it & show a demo of its internals as well as use , but till then have a look

Offroad Tools Thread-dscn3148.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 15:05   #70
BANNED

two special spanners one must have for brake pipe line work & diesel pipe line ( high pressure , Distributor pump to Nozzles )

General experience is those nuts get easily damaged if one uses the usual flat open spanners ( as any other spanner cant be used )

First pic has been posted before

Offroad Tools Thread-sept-12.jpg

Offroad Tools Thread-sept-12-nz.jpg

Sudarshan

Disclaimer : collecting tools & DIY can be an addiction , please take due care
Old 30th September 2012, 17:15   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
two special spanners one must have for brake pipe line work & diesel pipe line ( high pressure , Distributor pump to Nozzles )

General experience is those nuts get easily damaged if one uses the usual flat open spanners ( as any other spanner cant be used )

First pic has been posted before

Attachment 993593

Sudarshan

Disclaimer : collecting tools & DIY can be an addiction , please take due care
Yes these are used for all types of pipe joints. The best part is that if excessive force is used the opening will flare up and slip, thus preventing over tightening and thread slippage - a frustrating experience with pipe joints.

Last edited by Aroy : 30th September 2012 at 17:17.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 08:52   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The best part is that if excessive force is used the opening will flare up and slip, thus preventing over tightening and thread slippage
well I never knew this part , I didn't know they could be flare up , may be I haven't used excessive force .

What I experienced is these give enough grip around the nut , which is normally not achieved by the side spanner , thus avoiding damage .I always have them in the vehicle kit .

Sudarshan
Old 1st October 2012, 14:25   #73
Senior - BHPian

Sudarshan Bhai - do you know what is needed to tighten the inner nut of a FIP in a jeep engine (the nut between the FIP and Block) - my mech doesnt have a proper tool for it and just hammers with a screw driver!
Old 1st October 2012, 14:32   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Sudarshan Bhai - do you know what is needed to tighten the inner nut of a FIP in a jeep engine (the nut between the FIP and Block) - my mech doesnt have a proper tool for it and just hammers with a screw driver!
Which one ? can you post a pic please ?
AFAIK a 13 mm thin type socket does that job .Also I dont remember having any difficulty in doing the FIP job WRT what you have mentioned , but please confirm again

Sudarshan
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:39   #75
BHPian

Re: Mistakes while offroading: List them and Learn from them

While tools may be detailed as necessary to specific vehicles, additional items in my inventory while Desert Driving, included

- WD 40
- Duct Tape
- Nylon Ropes to tie up loose bits hanging from car after minor crashes
- Heavy Steel Pipes of various Outer Diameters that match Interior Diameters of other pipes for extended Leverage.
- Flagpole with distinctive Flag.
- Walkie Talkie set (all members had one for communication as Mobiles would not be relied)
- GPS
- Distress Flares
- 12" x 12" Thick Plyboard pieces for positioning Jack at loose earth / sand. Often used for placing under stuck Tyres to come out of sand. One side of the Boards used to have steel weld Mesh affixed to it.
- Straps
- 12 V / 220 V AC, Invertor with adaptor fitting into Cigarette Lighter Socket.

More important from all above,

- WILL to help others.

Amrik Singh
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks