Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 14:57   #1
BANNED

Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions

Dear all , I will like to share few things here.

This is about vehicular failures & on the spot solutions .

I have been driving,maintaining, using MM 540 ( 4x4) for last 21 years & Land Rovers for about 11 years . I carry normal tools & have found solutions on site . Thats why never got stranded .

I will like to share that here .

I also request all of you to contribute ,discuss, criticise or share alternatives so others can benifit .

I start from the problem of Diesel supply ,particularly tank & supply line problems . Have a look at following pic ,as how it can be solved (to drive on to home ). One can keep a length of plastic tube for this in spare

Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions-3.pipe.jpg

One small thing, the tab (3) is to be tightened again after priming

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 14th September 2010 at 15:05.
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2010, 11:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Sudarshan, this is a great initiative. Since I come back from every OTR with one or other problem, this will be very useful to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
I carry normal tools & have found solutions on site . Thats why never got stranded .
Do you carry a solenoid switch too?

Quote:
I start from the problem of Diesel supply ,particularly tank & supply line problems . Have a look at following pic ,as how it can be solved (to drive on to home ). One can keep a length of plastic tube for this in spare
Should the Jerrycan be placed in any particular height?
Old 15th September 2010, 12:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fuel Return Line

Quote:
Dear all , I will like to share few things here.

This is about vehicular failures & on the spot solutions .

I have been driving,maintaining, using MM 540 ( 4x4) for last 21 years & Land Rovers for about 11 years . I carry normal tools & have found solutions on site . Thats why never got stranded .

I will like to share that here .

I also request all of you to contribute ,discuss, criticise or share alternatives so others can benifit .

Attachment 423674

One small thing, the tab (3) is to be tightened again after priming

Sudarshan
Hi Sudarshan,

I would like to add.

From the FIP there is a Direct line to the diesel tank, this is the Fuel Return Line.

This also has to be connected to the jerry can, because the pump draws fuel and return the excess fuel, which is substantial, it is better to connect that to the fuel source; to have a closed circuit.

If the Fuel is drawn from Tank A, and return line connected to Tank B, then Tank A will quickly dry up, and Tank B will fill up much faster than Tank A; dries up.

Then Tank A will have to be filled manually very frequently.

To Prevent this from happening its better to connect the fuel Line and Fuel Return Line to the SAM Tank(Jerry Can/Bottle)

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2010, 14:49   #4
BANNED

Thanks

@ Samurai , I never carried a solenoid with Jeep . Mine never failed in 21 years ,but I came to know much later about the solution if it fails ( after nearly 4 years of using the Jeep) .
We didnt have Internet nor the concept of Offroading or any such exposure like BHP in those days , it was just doing things & going through obstacles.
Now your second point , till the FIP sucks diesel sussessfully I dont think the jerry can hight will matter.

@ Arka , yours is a very very valid point I forgot .( I had driven the Jeep like this for a shorter distances so the ' Return Line ' Issue never came up)

But you are absolutely Correct , The return line must be connected to the same tank/can from where the fuel is Taken ( at least for longer runs )
Thanks Arkajee

One more addition , The jeep has minimal return of fuel ( mostly at higher RPM ) but the Landy has quite significant ammount .

Further I would like to add more on
1) brake line problems & solutions
Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions-2.brake.jpg
Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions-3.brake.jpg
2) Oil pressure gauge pipe leaks & fixes
Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions-4.oilpipe.jpg

Sudarshan
Old 17th September 2010, 10:56   #5
BANNED

head light trouble .

What to do when headlights go off , in the middle of nowhere .

There is a simple solution which a non technical guy can apply ( with caution )

But first learn to disconnect the battery by removing the Negative terminal. This will give you some kind of relief in case of short circuits & eventual fire ( if the wiring starts burning due to dammage ,accident etc ) .You will be able to isolate the troubled spot & then reconnect the battery & thus be able to drive to some safe place ( with the wiring functioning partially )

have a look at this
pic 1
Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions-1.bhp-headlight.jpg

Sudarshan
Old 17th September 2010, 11:20   #6
BHPian

Instead of blocking using a blocked pipe, once my mechanic did a rather simpler thing, just insert one appropriate nail of smaller length into the hole and tight back the pipe. The blunt end of the nail will completely close the entry of break fluid. I did it myself and worked when one side line was leaking, even though we have only 3 brakes remaining!! I think this wont harm the system in anyway. So carrying one or two similar sized nails in the tool box will do.

With thanks and regards

Last edited by glomus123 : 17th September 2010 at 11:23.
Old 17th September 2010, 11:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

^^ Raju bhai, this can be done in case of a faulty Headlamp relay right? Could you please share some more ingenious techniques on troubleshooting wiring problems?

Spike
Old 17th September 2010, 12:41   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post

Instead of blocking using a blocked pipe, once my mechanic did a rather simpler thing, just insert one appropriate nail of smaller length into the hole and tight back the pipe. The blunt end of the nail will completely close the entry of break fluid. I did it myself and worked when one side line was leaking, even though we have only 3 brakes remaining!! I think this wont harm the system in anyway. So carrying one or two similar sized nails in the tool box will do.

With thanks and regards
well if you are confidant then this can be an alternative . But I will personally try & recomend my method ,Reasons

1) Nails being very smaller objects will easily get lost in the kit ( anyways nails have other use also, guess what , not jocking )
2) I will like to Bye pass & isolate the problem
3) to seal any liquid or gas, certain element in joints must be there called as the SEAT ,parts should be seated perfectly to seal . I am doubtfull about Nails .

Thanks for the idea I will keep nails too as plan B atleast .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ Raju bhai, this can be done in case of a faulty Headlamp relay right? Could you please share some more ingenious techniques on troubleshooting wiring problems?

Spike
Well my solution to the electrical problems will be based on the principle of 'Bypass & Isolation' , if not replacement in first place .

You can use a bypass wire for FI pump solenoid or for heater plugs( engine starting ) or even for starter ( I will give a pic shortly )

the above solution I illustrated will work not only with relay problem, but in case of switch & other wiring problems & failures

This is to be remembered that thease solutions will only buy you some time to reach to safe spots .

My knowledge is limited & there will always a limit to personal knowledge ,but every one can contribute & share here so that there will be a long list of such solutions available to everyone .

Collective knowledge & efforts have no limits.

Sudarshan
Old 17th September 2010, 14:04   #9
BHPian

Hi Sudarshan,

Please take my BOW, I am always scared of travelling in my jeep during night time, cause i don't trust the electricals of my Jeep at all inspite of getting the entire wiring redone. Though these simple but effective steps shall ensure that incase of worst scenario atleast we ourselves will be able to do makeshift stuff and reach to some garage.

I humbly request you to please keep on updating this thread and request other gurus to please share their knowledge as well.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

few things what i have experienced so far

1) Wiper Failure - wipe tobbaco on windscreen

2) Broken Radiator - apply dry soap on the raditor from where its leaking, and drop some turmeric powder in radiator

3) broken bolts on free wheeling hubs - incase of emergency remove 3 bolts from second HUB in put it on the one which is broken

4) Leak in petrol Tank - use M-Seal or Soap.

5) in a situation of a Dead vehicle without a tow rope you can always use cycle tyer or mulitple tubes. there is another way to tow the vehicle without any cable also but its not safe so would not like to recommend here.

6) Vehicle overheating after OTR - Check for any damage to radiator or oil sump. if no damage then splash some water on radiator and make sure its clean and mud is not stuck in it.

i will try to recollect some more incidents and share my points.

Last edited by pdev29 : 20th September 2010 at 12:23.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:59   #11
BHPian

@Devang: I think you should share your favorite, Gypsy going into 4 neutral expertise here. Seems to be really common.
Old 20th September 2010, 17:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Soumya,

this is very common is all the gypsies.

first thing one should do when the 4wd is stuck, drive your vehicle in reverse gear and try to shift at that time. if it doesnt work then try following

1) open the 4wd cover
2) check which gear is stuck
3) put the lever or screw driver in the slot and shift the gear.

dont close the cover untill you finish the OTR just put the stick back and lock the cap.

P.S one simple mod everyone should on their gypsy :

Weld 2 small rod on the lock cap of 4wd , it will be easier to open and close the lock
Old 20th September 2010, 20:03   #13
BANNED

Starter problems

In every starter there is a big cable that goes from battery positive terminal to the starter .also there is a small wire connected ( solenoid input )

1) check the main cable if loose . ( do this when the negative terminal is disconnected ) Also the wire to solenoid terminal if loose

2) if that is ok , put the negative terminal back & check earthing ( if given ) & also a cable that connects the engine block to chassis/body .

3) after all this is done & checked but still the starter is not working then do the following
try to give current ( Battery positive to starter solenoid input ) with a wire
Caution : while giving current to the starter solenoid do the following
1) keep the car in Neautral
2) hand brake on & wheels choked
3) Keep clear of fan
4) Ignition On

After doing this you will find one of thease

1) Engine will either crank & fire.
2) Engine will not crank ( battery may be down ) or the starter is having serious problem ,so your job is done ( except putting a charged battery )
3) Engine willl crank but will not fire ( other problems )
pic starter
Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions-starterbhp.jpg

Pic fuisible links as mentioned in earlier posts

Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions-fuselink.jpg

pic Test lamp
Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions-testlamp.jpg

pic for small jobs only jump leads
Offroad-Onroad failures & DIY solutions-jumpleads.jpg

Caution : Practice this with the electrician around .

Sudarshan
Old 20th September 2010, 20:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
Weld 2 small rod on the lock cap of 4wd , it will be easier to open and close the lock
@Dev: Thanks a lot for this tip. Just one request, could you kindly post a pic whenever it is possible, to just explain what you mean here. It would really help.
Thanks a lot.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 20th September 2010, 22:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
try to give current ( Battery positive to starter solenoid input ) with a wire
Which gauge wires do you use for this? The above mentioned method is very useful and critical. I remember an operator named Balu Phakde who taught me this trick while I was a trainee in R&D. Thank you Phakde Bhau

Spike

Most Viewed