Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2010, 09:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
in real life terms, the xdp, xd3p, mdi, turbo, crde - all engines cater to different tastes, but if indian army finds the KMT90 bulletproof, then there is no second opinion on that,
I tend to disagree here, what will you say if Army vehicles come with "something" other than a KMT90?

Spike
Old 31st October 2010, 09:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Hi Jyobeb,
A question though, how is the present engine-gearbox doing and your reason for proposed change?

Regards,

Attachment 446509
Attachment 446518
Mr Fazal, I think your gearbox is different from mine. Mine is all aluminium while your transfer case seems to be cast iron?? I will post pics of my gearbox soon.
While my jeep was SPOA, my clearances were very good but now that I have reverted to original SUA, I find the clearances too close for comfort. Also the location of the PS pump is too close to the front differential and will definitely foul in case of a YUMP!
Old 31st October 2010, 10:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I tend to disagree here, what will you say if Army vehicles come with "something" other than a KMT90?

Spike
Most people in my office do not understand what is a JEEP thing!

i cast my opinion in present tense. i respect army attestation more than arai,vrde certifications bcoz of extreme testing conditions. am i clear now ?

spike sir, your signature speaks a lot about jeeping, can understand your feelings. its mutual sir. regards.

Last edited by .anshuman : 31st October 2010 at 13:47. Reason: Formatted post to remove HTML tags.
Old 31st October 2010, 10:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i cast my opinion in present tense. i respect army attestation more than arai,vrde certifications bcoz of extreme testing conditions. am i clear now ?

spike sir, your signature speaks a lot about jeeping, can understand your feelings. its mutual sir. regards.
I agree with your POV. From where did ARAI / VRDE come into picture here?. BTW, CMVR is not applicable to Army vehicles!

Glad that you liked my signature, at-least some people understand.

Spike

PS- Please don't call me Sir, I am too small in the rung (position / age) to be called a Sir
Old 31st October 2010, 11:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Spike
[COLOR=#777]Most people in my office do not understand what is a JEEP thing![/COLOR]

Shekaran,
It is not the army or the CMVR,ARAI,VRDE that tests the GB as an individual unit for its ruggedness or reliability. CMVR is no part of the army.

Advancement in Technology is a continuous process, when the KMT-90 was introduced the BA-10 was non existent nor the further advanced version NGT530, like Arka points out.

You will be surprised if you actually realize the mind set of the army:

If something works for them, they will not opt far a change in spite of the leaps in technology for a decade or even two or three, eg. Royal Enfield, Mahindra. Not that these are inferior machines, but obsolete definitely!

I will give you an example, The Sri Lankan army had called for world wide tenders for their requirement of 4X4's for the army, in the late 90's-00's.

Land Rover and other majors bidded for the global tenders with the unit price above Rs. 25 Lakhs. Force motors from India too were there and bagged it because their JUDO was under 10 lakhs and a very capable machine ( I have seen it action numerous times. Where the Mahindra struggles, the Judo strolls).

Now if, going for a better vehicle was on the our army's agenda, they would experiment with their Bikes and the Jeeps. BUT... they are content since the 70's and ride/ drive the same machines which they did 40 years back due to various factors, one out of which is budgetary allocations.

Likewise for the army an upgrade from KMT-90 to NGT-530 also costs, this is the most probable reason they stick to KMT-90. I am sure they did not test the later gear boxes like BA-10 and NGT-530 and that they failed the test.

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 31st October 2010 at 11:27.
Old 31st October 2010, 13:03   #36
BHPian

Faizal Sir,
Thanks for enlightening the aspect deeply.
i stand corrected in my assumptions, but what i cast was just my simple opinion, just that. nothing personal so please excuse if i said anything absurd...
You are one of the main reasons i fell in love with the jeep, and your machines are my favourite wallpapers, learning books etc.,.

Can i ask you a favour ? my jeep is 90% highway and 10% only offroad. How to make the jeep - MM540 more comfortable, less garage visits etc ? am now doing the costly diy process, which consumes both time and money. if jeep gurus like you could educate people like me, who are mainly spectators for offroading, it would be highly helpful. Thanks, Regards, Have a nice day.

Spike Sir, the "Sir" comes out of the vast knowledge sharing you share upon to us fellow jeepers, kindly endorse that...
Thanks, Regards.

Last edited by shekaran : 31st October 2010 at 13:06. Reason: spell check
Old 31st October 2010, 13:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Faizal Sir,
Thanks for enlightening the aspect deeply.
i stand corrected in my assumptions, but what i cast was just my simple opinion, just that. nothing personal so please excuse if i said anything absurd...
You are one of the main reasons i fell in love with the jeep, and your machines are my favourite wallpapers, learning books etc.,.

Can i ask you a favour ? my jeep is 90% highway and 10% only offroad. How to make the jeep - MM540 more comfortable, less garage visits etc ? am now doing the costly diy process, which consumes both time and money. if jeep gurus like you could educate people like me, who are mainly spectators for offroading, it would be highly helpful. Thanks, Regards, Have a nice day.

Spike Sir, the "Sir" comes out of the vast knowledge sharing you share upon to us fellow jeepers, kindly endorse that...
Thanks, Regards.
Shekaran,
What you said is nothing even close to absurd, we all have our own point of view.
Thank you for your kind words.
Please elaborate exactly what you mean by making your 540 more comfortable, many gurus like Arka, Spike, Sir Behram are there to help you and my humble self too.
"Spike Sir", this title he desrves for the reason mentioned by you especially at his young age. I too look up to Spike Sir, for his knowledge but most of all like him for his attitude.
Regards,
Old 31st October 2010, 14:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
"Spike Sir", this title he desrves for the reason mentioned by you especially at his young age. I too look up to Spike Sir, for his knowledge but most of all like him for his attitude.
Regards,
OT-
@Shekaran, Fazal Saab, I am humbled. This is the best appraisal I could have got. I am blessed to have worked with DB during the early part of my career, met so many wonderful people through T-Bhp( UBS, Fazal, Jaggu, DKG, Khan, Arka, Vinod, Shibu, Sutripta, Sudarshan, Tejas just to name a few). I learn from all you guys and that is why I'm here. There is one thing which all of us have in common, "Passion for excellence" this is what sets us apart. Cheers!

Spike
Old 31st October 2010, 20:41   #39
BHPian

Dear Shekaran,

Thanks very much.

I am meeting Miyer and Krishna (Kittigadu) and we plan to visit Babu (supposedly the best jeep mech in town). I met them for the first time today at the Conty Meet at the RSI.

Lets see what the expert says.

Actually, my requirements are very basic. No off roading, I should be able to make a trip to Mysore, Wayanad or Yercaud with family without feeling like I am in 2nd gear all the time, although I am in 4th.

After seeing all those sexy Contessas today, I am very seriously thinking of buying a Contessa. Have been searching the net for a Contessa (Isuzu 1800 cc petrol, not the diesel) ever since I came back home. My son was with me and he said I should have bought a Contessa instead of the MM540.

I have about 150 pics of today's Conty meet, but cant upload them as the regn numbers need to be blanked out, I dont know how to do that. I'll be giving the pics to Kittigadu tmrw on a pen drive, he'll do the uploading.

Dont be surprised if I buy a Contessa within the next two weeks !!

Cheers

KD
Old 1st November 2010, 10:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Spike
Hi Spike,

How many years did it take M&M to copy and "improve" that something?

Why was was the BA-10 Discontinued to XD3P Bolero 4WD and replaced with, Isuzu 5Speed 4WD?

The MM Pe also had the 1.8L Isuzu with Isuzu 5 Speed 4WD, some of the 2006 MM550XD also had the Isuzu 5 Speed 4WD.

The BA-10 & Isuzu maybe Silky Smooth but they are not rugged, and cannot take a hard knock.

I believe the "Something" is a NGT520 on the new MDI3200TC MM550XD.

Regards,

Arka
Old 1st November 2010, 14:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

How many years did it take M&M to copy and "improve" that something?

Why was was the BA-10 Discontinued to XD3P Bolero 4WD and replaced with, Isuzu 5Speed 4WD?

The MM Pe also had the 1.8L Isuzu with Isuzu 5 Speed 4WD, some of the 2006 MM550XD also had the Isuzu 5 Speed 4WD.

The BA-10 & Isuzu maybe Silky Smooth but they are not rugged, and cannot take a hard knock.

I believe the "Something" is a NGT520 on the new MDI3200TC MM550XD.
Arka, we have even broken the KMT90 while doing "something", that doesn't mean it is not rugged. And the "something" mentioned by you is partially incorrect.

Spike

PS- BTW is it locking without making noise
Old 1st November 2010, 16:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
..."Something" is a NGT520 on the new MDI3200TC MM550XD...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
...the "something" mentioned by you is partially incorrect...
Replacing 2 with 3 should make it correct?
Old 25th September 2013, 17:58   #43
BANNED

Rebuilding a XD3P

Gurus this is an often discussed thread but in all my searches on teambhp i have not come across a thread that guides a person in totality about the rebuilding process of xd3p engine i mean a thread that is complete in all respects like a list of possible resources like where to get parts ,helpful manuals , tricks and other nitty gritty of the rebuild so that it can last a few thousand miles and a few pallar challenges.
Background; i have a cj3b that has a diesel engine (international harvested B 275) this engine has its own plus points and drawbacks primarily that bothers me the most is the noise it makes when driven around and lack of high speeds when following a convoy. best plus point is that this is a "donkey" engine, returns 18-19 kmpl, top speed around 70, never cared to check its temperature gauge as it never heats up besides 6-7 hrs of continuous offroading in low gear.Recently i have changed over to kmt 90 4 speed gear box(4 froward and 1 reverse) with matching 4x4 transfercase.
After careful consideration and talking to all gurus of jeeping community like UBS, Arka ,Fazal sir,and reading many more threads of engine transplants,final conclusion is that we will go in for a XD3P rebuild ,
The engine that i have procured is a water damaged ex army xd3p.
please fire on
hate tar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 08:19   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rebuilding a XD3P

I have never rebuilt an XD3P, and, I have my own doubts regarding a perfect rebuild, seeing examples around me.

However, if it helps you, you can refer to this document for some specs.

XD3P Engine & 5-speed Gear Box-xd3p.jpg

XD3P Engine & 5-speed Gear Box-xd3p1.jpg

XD3P Engine & 5-speed Gear Box-xd3p2.jpg

Can you please elaborate on the water damage? Is it hydrolock?
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 09:59   #45
BANNED

Re: Rebuilding a XD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate tar View Post
Gurus this is an often discussed thread but in all my searches on teambhp i have not come across a thread that guides a person in totality about the rebuilding process of xd3p engine i mean a thread that is complete in all respects like a list of possible resources like where to get parts ,helpful manuals , tricks and other nitty gritty of the rebuild so that it can last a few thousand miles and a few pallar challenges.
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate tar View Post
63 views and no views or a view point from the gurus,
Absence of manuals ? yes.
Absence of literature ? yes .

Information abt actually doing it on forums ?? NO a Big one, because frankly & sadly most of us believe in card money.

BUT even if such info is made available, who going to use it ? are you going to do it yourself ?

Even if you are going to do it yourself , you are not going to cut (grind) the Crank by yourself or grind the valves or make or fit valve guides .Are you by yourself going to " light face" the head all by yourself ?

The thing I am trying to point out is, even if you are having the literature, you are going to go to the Local machine shop for major parts machining. ( head ,crank bearings ,connecting bushings , valve seats etc.

And now listen to me very well, these machine shop guys are " Gods" in their own premises, they just dont listen to you & your manuals, sometimes they may just "shove" you out .... Been there done that

I have assembled my own engines, right from my Luna to pump sets to the Landy. I have taken support of technical material to get it done right from the beginning, right from a smallest lathe shop to the biggest in the city. Believe me its an " Everest " Task " to convince these people to do the work in a theoretically right way.

Besides you will need tools, if you want to do DIY, not the 34 piece socket sets I mean -- tools like air compressors to clean the parts thoroughly, a torque wrench , ring guides,valve spring compressor & many other small ones along with engine lifting (a 2 ton chain pulley block ), naah you are probably not ready for all this Brother, because you go in to this & get kicked out of the Job & home at the same time.

So finally a guy like you (assuming you are not a jobless Junk like me)-- the only way is to go to a " Good " mechanic, rest your head on his shoulders & find lucky if do not get -- whatever .

If you get the drift of what I am saying, thank me OR report the post & get it out of your thread . I dont want to hijack it .

Jeeps are built.. Oh forgive my rant Bro

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed