Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 21:10   #1
BHPian

XD3P Engine & 5-speed Gear Box

Can anyone help me to source a used XD3P engine and 5-speed gear box ? How much would this cost ? I am willing to go and pick them up if it is an overnight journey from Bangalore.

There's a friend of mine in Coimbatore who's looking around and I have told a couple of friends in Chennai also. But they are strictly the Enfield Bullet types and may not know what to look for.

Its for my 2WD MM540 which currently has a XDP4.9 engine and a 4-speed gear box. My mech says both the engine and gear box need some work which would cost me around 20K. I would rather put in some more money and invest in a XD3P engine with a 5-speed gear box which is a sort of made-for-each-other combination.

I look forward to help & guidance from the jeep gurus in the forum. Although not new to automobiles, I am new to jeeps.

Mods - please excuse if this topic has been addressed elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks

KD
kd7202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2010, 15:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

May be this deserves to be in the 4x4 technical section, or may be not.

Anyways, a XD3P scrap condition (non-working) from a army disposal would cost atleast 25K in chennai (border thottam area). I saw a deal last year aug09 for the same engine. Then you need to spend at least 20-25K to bring it to working/proper condition. A 5 speed (as in 5f + 1r) I think is the BA-10 (its the 1st 5+1 that came with the XD3P. I am not sure on the price, but it can be as expensive as 15-20K (pure guess, going by the jeep enthusiasts increasing day by day). Oh, and add at least 5K for transport from chennai to bangalore...

You are looking at at least 50K(to 65K) for this whole project... Why not just rebuild the engine at a good place in bangy and rework the GB, or may be get it converted to a 4x4 and join the gang of offroaders in bangy...
Old 28th October 2010, 16:45   #3
BHPian

Hi Santosh,

Rebuilding the engine and gearbox, now that's a good idea.

After I bought the jeep, I have been to three mechs, the first one did the tinkering & body work, second one did the painting and the third one did some minor mechanical work.

The third mech is the one who told me that doing up my engine and 4-speed gearbox would cost me 20k.

One thing I have noticed is that most mechs do not do as good a job on a jeep that they would normally do on a car. Jeeps are treated in a very casual manner, little things that need to be done are overlooked or ignored, chalta hai attitude, etc.,

In case you know a mech who will respect my jeep and also my money, please let me know.

Thanks again.

KD
Old 28th October 2010, 21:42   #4
BHPian

you can contact miyer in the forum, who is a friend of mr.babu, who runs one of the best jeep garages in bangalore.
i too have the same configuration as yours, and the xdp engine + 4 speed gearbox weighs around 150kgs (approx), and rebuilding, if done correctly - will be your best bet. you can change the rear diff ratio to that of the bolero, if you want higher top speed, losing a bit on initial pulling. you might need to use the 1st gear, when starting from standstill, thats all...
if you dont want to visit mechanic garages often, then dont go for old engines - as the post fitment needs constant attention, due to the used engine reliability...
for 20k, you can thouroughly rebuild the xdp engine, gearbox, transmission etc.,. giving you another 1Lac trouble free kms of happy motoring.
Old 29th October 2010, 10:19   #5
BHPian

Dear Shekaran,

Thanks. Just PMd Miyer. Hope he gets back soon.

Cheers

KD
Old 29th October 2010, 11:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

The BA10 is a very fragile gearbox mainly because it's made from Aluminium.
Consider the cast iron NGT 520/530, but you'll have to use the Di-Turbo engine with it. The NGT wont work with the XD3P.
Old 29th October 2010, 12:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

^^ Most transmissions / trans-axles made today use Aluminium. There is a notion that using Aluminium make it fragile, NO it doesn't. Which NGT530 is Cast iron?

Spike

PS- Airlines also use Aluminium.
Old 29th October 2010, 13:05   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ Most transmissions / trans-axles made today use Aluminium. There is a notion that using Aluminium make it fragile, NO it doesn't. Which NGT530 is Cast iron?

Spike

PS- Airlines also use Aluminium.
+ 1 to that ,a little OT may be , but Land Rovers are using it for ages not only for body pannels but also for the bell housing ,GB ,& TC also.

I have a 70 model in which the Bell housing (in two parts ,1 stays with engine & second attached with main gear box ) the main gearbox & also the Transfer case are made of aluminium. No issues so far ( metal fatiuge etc )

I think its the material quality/composition ( alloyes or whatever) that makes it capable for the job . calling it just Aluminium is not exactly correct.

Sudarshan
Old 29th October 2010, 14:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

I think its the material quality/composition ( alloyes or whatever) that makes it capable for the job . calling it just Aluminium is not exactly correct.

Sudarshan
Spot on! + design also plays a crucial role.

Ever compared the bell housing area of a KMT90 and a NGT 530 / R? There lies the answer.

Spike
Old 29th October 2010, 14:32   #10
AVR
BHPian

BA10 v/s KMT90

Quote:
Spot on! + design also plays a crucial role.

Ever compared the bell housing area of a KMT90 and a NGT 530 / R? There lies the answer.
Spike,

Just because its the Technical section, you cant expect people to know the difference.
Please elaborate the difference and it may not even be OT on this thread because have been told that KMT90 is a more rugged gb compared to the BA-10. Is it just the Aluminium? Or are there other reasons too? Would be interesting to know!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 29th October 2010, 15:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

AVR / others :- Please post pics of both these transmissions side by side, then I will explain. Otherwise trying to explain this (using words) will go all over your head.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 29th October 2010 at 15:12.
Old 29th October 2010, 15:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

BA10 to NGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The BA10 is a very fragile gearbox mainly because it's made from Aluminium.
Consider the cast iron NGT 520/530, but you'll have to use the Di-Turbo engine with it. The NGT wont work with the XD3P.
Quote:
Hi Nitrous & Spike,

The BA10 is a Peugeot design.

The NGT520 is essential a Cast Iron BA10 with different internal dimensions & differences.

The NGT530 is a "New & Improved" BA10 with Different Internal dimensions & differences and an Aluminium body.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 29th October 2010 at 15:22.
Old 29th October 2010, 15:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Arka, here the topic of discussion is not about the predecessors, forerunners and ancestors. The discussion is on Aluminium and Cast Iron.

Spike
Old 29th October 2010, 15:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ot

Quote:
Arka, here the topic of discussion is not about the predecessors, forerunners and ancestors. The discussion is on Aluminium and Cast Iron.
Hi Spike,

My apologies for going OFF-TOPIC. I thought this thread was about the XD3P and 5 Speed Gearbox.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Thanks for the confirmation, of the BA10-NGT530 genealogy
Old 29th October 2010, 16:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

View on ruggedness

Arka, why do you think KMT 90 (GCI-Grey Cast Iron type) transmissions are considered to be more rugged when compared to Aluminium alloy (AS9U3).

I still haven't condescended to your earlier statement on genes though!

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks