Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2011, 09:45   #31
BHPian

Re: My Gypsy Gal is home

Congrats on your Gypsy Ragul!! Nice to see you here.
Old 9th January 2011, 12:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Gypsy Ragul. Nice looker any day
Old 18th January 2011, 23:08   #33

Congratulations on your gypsy Ragul. Do post more pics
Old 21st February 2011, 23:39   #34
BANNED

Loud Mechanical noise from My New Gypsy

Guys

Just now I was driving home from work. I shifted into 3rd and starting a gentle acceleration in speed and suddenly I heard a loud noise coming from under the car. I pulled over immediately and peeped under the car to check if any physical obstruction was caught on the underside. In the semi darkness I could spot none. Then remembering I felt no accompanying vibrations with it, I started off again. No problems for another km, then again it started. I pulled over again and checked the underside, nothing. Started again, no problems till I reached home. Too dark to look now, will check first thing in the morning.

The sound is not harsh clattering judderring type but mid-rangy and distinctly continuous mechanical rubbing noise that is mildly grating. It seems to come from forward center i.e to my front left from drivers position. I suspect the gearbox is having problems.

What do you experts think? The vehicle has only done about 3500kms.

Thanks

What can it be?

Last edited by Ragul : 21st February 2011 at 23:43.
Old 22nd February 2011, 01:02   #35
BHPian

Re: Loud Mechanical noise from My New Gypsy

Check the silencer pipe right from the engine till its end, it may be touching the body or gone very very close to any body surface and thus making sound on acceleration. It happens when any of the rubber mounts of silencer are broken.
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Loose exhaust mid-pipe. Is the vehicle in 2wd or 4wd?
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Check the silencer pipe right from the engine till its end, it may be touching the body or gone very very close to any body surface and thus making sound on acceleration. It happens when any of the rubber mounts of silencer are broken.
+1 to Hashim. I also sense that it is coming from your exhaust pipes.
Try going under the car (when it is completely cool) and check for any loose ends.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:36   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Loose exhaust mid-pipe. Is the vehicle in 2wd or 4wd?
I use 2WD only on Tarmac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
+1 to Hashim. I also sense that it is coming from your exhaust pipes.
Try going under the car (when it is completely cool) and check for any loose ends.
Cheers,
Deepak

Will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Hmm it wasn't a rattling noise more like a continuous whine with smooth grinding sound not grating. Possible that pipe touching the drive shaft?

Will take it to the MASS, haul it up and take a look tomorrow. I forgot to get a board with wheels to lie on and slide - is it available on J.C road? How much? Whats it called?

Thanks Guys!
Old 28th February 2011, 12:09   #39
BANNED

I checked at MASS, we lifted it up and inspected the underside. there was no sign of any loose fitting. The problem has not recurred so all is good for now.

However what nags me is that something might be lurking within like a cancer that will blow up into a major malfunction whilst on a long drive miles away from civilization. but thats just my paranoia.

Oh yes, the mechanic rotated all four wheels and found the driver side wheel wobbling slightly with some play. He tightened all the nuts including those on the suspension and now the vehicle handling actually feels "tighter" on bumps and potholes. Could the noise have been something rubbing on the wheel? I dont recall if the noise faded away as my wheel rotations slowed down, but I have suspicion it did. but then a mechanical noise from any part will fade when rpm reduces. Is there anything about loosely fitted wheel that can cause a midrangy (without treble frequencies) whining noise?

Thanks
Old 28th February 2011, 13:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ragul,
One of my experiences, if that would be of any relief to you.
A few months back, a metal wire got itself wound to my left front tyre and the edge of it was in contact with the wheel. So, it started making a metal sound after which, i stopped the car.
By the time, the car came to a halt, the wire had fallen off the wheel and i just happened to notice it.
If not, i would've just driven off with no sound at all and probably be wondering just like you. Could be a similar thing too, i hope.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 28th February 2011, 17:01   #41
BANNED

OK Thanks for assurance Starter.

Now to list another issue - I did a small tinkering job on the door last month and all looks well including color match. However yesterday I noticed, this door panel goes in with the slightest finger press and "clicks" back in place.

The other side door panel that was untouched, is tough to depress and feels solid in comparison. This one feels flimsy.

Is this a mistake on the part of MASS in not applying sufficient damping material inside or something? Should I go back to them and ask them to do something (anything?).

Thanks
Old 7th March 2011, 15:07   #42
BANNED

The problem became quiet frequent on my weekend trip.

I think its the differential making noise, can it be so? Because judging from the sound, the rpm sometimes appears to be lesser than the wheel rotation speed ... or maybe not (the recording was done at about 80kmph I think)

The sound also rarely appears to shift towards the left side wheel at times then back more towards the centre or right !!

Attaching an mp3 recording of the sound.

Please help me decide if the front axle differential needs to be changed or should the entire front axle assembly be replaced under warranty?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip GypsyNoise.zip (1.02 MB, 287 views)

Last edited by Ragul : 7th March 2011 at 15:25.
Old 7th March 2011, 16:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Please help me decide if the front axle differential needs to be changed or should the entire front axle assembly be replaced under warranty?
I doubt if any speculations will help in this case - this issue needs a proper diagnosis. Your best bet is to take one of the service center guys for a drive and try to replicate the issue.
Old 7th March 2011, 17:09   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
The problem became quiet frequent on my weekend trip.
========
Attaching an mp3 recording of the sound.
Check wheel bearing first, then the differential, axle and prop shaft joints. Also rule out the brake disc's jammed or something stuck, very less likely though.
Old 7th March 2011, 19:16   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I doubt if any speculations will help in this case - this issue needs a proper diagnosis. Your best bet is to take one of the service center guys for a drive and try to replicate the issue.
The symptoms come and go for like 15 secs every 25kms since Friday. Hard to to replicate in a city drive .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check wheel bearing first, then the differential, axle and prop shaft joints. Also rule out the brake disc's jammed or something stuck, very less likely though.

Thanks. Brakes are working fine at high speed, but yes I did feel/imagine more friction and some mild resistance when the noise occurs.

--R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks