Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 23:31   #46
BHPian

Re: My Gypsy Gal is home

I guess the issue is with 4X4 transfer case, i remember a similar sound with my Ex-Army Gypsy. There is a pin inside 4X4 transfer case which creates this sound even while driving in a 4X2 mode.
Old 8th March 2011, 09:43   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
I guess the issue is with 4X4 transfer case, i remember a similar sound with my Ex-Army Gypsy. There is a pin inside 4X4 transfer case which creates this sound even while driving in a 4X2 mode.
Would like to know more, coz gypsy has one of the most silent transfer cases. Even a small bearing whine can be easily pin pointed in them, such is the refinement.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:28   #48
BANNED

Re: Good location for fog lamps?

Got a pair of Hella FF75s from Borderlinx. They are narrow and wide as you can see in the pic. I want to mount them below the front bumper right in line of the parking lights. Is that a good location? I dont want them them to attract attention by mounting them visibly on top and provide temptation to steal.

See pics for options. what do you guys suggest? The lamp is only 94mm tall and fits inline above the level of the front suspension.
Attached Thumbnails
My Gypsy Gal is home-ff75.jpg  

My Gypsy Gal is home-hellamount.jpg  

Old 16th March 2011, 10:43   #49
KMT
BHPian

Ragul below the bumper there is more chance of waterlogging in the lamp, water splashes and stone chips on highway drives.
Place it above the bumper.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:29   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Ragul below the bumper there is more chance of waterlogging in the lamp, water splashes and stone chips on highway drives.
Place it above the bumper.
I agree go on top it will look better as well. And if a situation arises on one of your trips where u see a nice short offroad track by the side of the road, then u can take a detour with no worries about approach angles .

P.S congrats on your purchase and do keep us updated on the strange noise thats been bugging the gypsy.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:53   #51
BANNED

Thanks Guys. I will place the lamps on top then.

Tomorrow I give it for 2nd service. I have instructed them to open 4x4 transfer case and check.

Right now I have a quick question - when I do a hard left lock of steering I hear a 'tuk ... tuk' straining noise from the rear left of the vehicle, like something is about to give away!! Every other time but not all the time. What is it about steering hard left that could strain something in the rear? Should I add this to the list of problems to investigate or is it a minor "happens" kinda thing?

Thanks in Advance.
--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 18th March 2011 at 17:54.
Old 18th March 2011, 18:31   #52
Team-BHP Support

I think you need to check your differentials, maybe that is the culprit for all these noise issues.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:25   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think you need to check your differentials, maybe that is the culprit for all these noise issues.

You mean the tuk tuk noise or the front axle whining noise?

Thanks
Old 18th March 2011, 19:30   #54
Team-BHP Support

Oh the front sound also, i thought it was intermittent khad khad sound? One can easily get mistaken by the source of these sounds when you sit inside the vehicle. I really am not very convinced by the gearbox theory coz a) it can be easily figured out in an otherwise silent gypsy. b) it will happen through out and very minute chance to be occasional.

khat khat yes seems like axle/differential sound. But all these in a brand new Gypsy!!
Old 18th March 2011, 20:05   #55
BANNED

The whining noise started a few days after the radiator was replaced. The original one had many bad fins in the top 1/3rd and requested them to replace it.

Can it be the radiator fan? It must be coming on and off once in a while and when it does sometimes makes noise?

The rear tuk tuk sound on consultation with my colleague seems like a leaf spring to him. I hear it particularly when ascending my multi-level car park hair-pin bend right at the end of the ascent where the front and rear could be at different heights. Combined with sharp turn on the spot, could the leaves be stressing on a roll?

Thanks
Old 18th March 2011, 20:21   #56
Team-BHP Support

What type of radiator fan does your BS IV gypsy have? Electric or constant mesh? If its electric fan there is a possibility. On the other hand now since you mentioned the radiator replacement do check on any possibility of fan misalignment.

Ok the tuk tuk can be spring or chassis flexing or a loose part touching one of them. Since you are able to replicate the issue, it should not be a difficult task to identify.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:33   #57
BANNED

Quote:
What type of radiator fan does your BS IV gypsy have? Electric or constant mesh? If its electric fan there is a possibility. On the other hand now since you mentioned the radiator replacement do check on any possibility of fan misalignment.

Ok the tuk tuk can be spring or chassis flexing or a loose part touching one of them. Since you are able to replicate the issue, it should not be a difficult task to identify.

Thanks. I have prepared a note listing the issues and possibilities for the service center. Since I have to be on-call available near my computer this weekend, I cannot be at the garage. Any suggestions for the clutch problem 2 and 3 and also 4 listed below?

1. Rattling noise from rear left (loose fitting somewhere under body?)
2. Jerking in 1st gear (Drive 100mtr in 1st gear no clutch and check).
3. High level of Juddering after biting point in 2nd gear (Drive 100mtr in 2nd gear with clutch at biting point then beyond biting point and check)
4. Squealing noise from front right Disc Brakes (Remove wheel and check Disc)
5. Front right wheel play (wheel bearing faulty?)
6. Loud Whining/Grinding noise from front axle. Average 30 secs per 50kms. Sometimes noise is present only for 3 seconds, sometimes for 7 secs and sometimes for 30+ seconds. Noise is loud enough for people in approaching vehicles to stop and stare. Problem started after replacing radiator. Check radiator fan for noise by starting it and running for 20+ mins, else check 4x4 transfer case and wheel bearing? Can we rule out the differential here? Can radiator fan be so loud?
7. 'tuk ... tuk' straining noise from rear left on hard left steering lock on hair-pin bend (At end of ascending slope - front wheels level, rear wheels lower level - Check rear left leaf springs if roll is causing strain)

PS: I dont know the difference between electric and mesh type. But I see a plastic fan if it helps ... dont know if it has PSPO either :P

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 18th March 2011 at 20:35.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:36   #58
Team-BHP Support

2 & 3 are at what speeds and is while throttle is given or while coasting?
Old 18th March 2011, 21:44   #59
BANNED

Quote:
2 & 3 are at what speeds and is while throttle is given or while coasting?

I dont recall right now precisely , but like a very somewhat light foot on accelerator. The 1st gear problem is when I try to accelerate from 10kmph and the 2nd is hmmm possibly my fault in going too slow for 2nd or what?!!! Now suddenly I have doubt. Will check @30kmph on my way home from office now.

Thanks
Old 18th March 2011, 21:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

some ideas for the hella lights.

My Gypsy Gal is home-ndcdfx8yp.jpg

My Gypsy Gal is home-ndcdfx8ypp.jpg

My Gypsy Gal is home-ndcdfx8yppp.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks