Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 23:14   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Gypsy Gal is home

Which MASS is this? Glad to know things are sorted, even i was surprised when you wrote so many niggles about a brand new gypsy
Old 20th March 2011, 00:39   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Which MASS is this? Glad to know things are sorted, even i was surprised when you wrote so many niggles about a brand new gypsy

Indira Nagar, the one behind Leela.

The whining noise remains to be seen. It hasn't appeared in the last one week. So I can't tell or be sure its gone. All other issues are I guess, me being a neurotic, psychosomatic and imagining diseases symptoms and afflictions that require frequent pill popping

They also aligned the wheels they said. Does the MASS there have proper wheel alignment facility ?

I guess me being a first time car owner - took my time to understand what needs minor tinkering for improvement, and what is normal - the stuff you guys would locate and fix in the first 500km and forget about ...

Plus - I abused it deliberately to get a feel of how it handles :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2273843

Took a road @70 that should have been taken @30

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 20th March 2011 at 00:51.
Old 20th March 2011, 18:11   #78
Senior - BHPian

@Ragul - you seem to be keen on destroying your vehicle. May I volunteer for the same?

A Gypsy is not built for abuse. You will bend your axle tubes, break your leaf-springs and shatter your king-pin bearings if you drive like this.

Re-look your approach to this vehicle...on a road that should be taken at 30, you should be doing 25 in a Gypsy considering how stiffly sprung it is.
Old 21st March 2011, 13:33   #79
BHPian

Ragul, any pics with the windscreen down?

Any idea if a hard top gypsy can be converted later to have a system for bring down the windscreen - actually this would need removable hard top.
Old 21st March 2011, 13:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post

Any idea if a hard top gypsy can be converted later to have a system for bring down the windscreen - actually this would need removable hard top.

Hi,

The hardtop can be easily removed.You can also fold down the windscreen by removing a couple of screws at the inside top left and top right corners, and unlocking the 2 levers on the side of the dashboard (after the HT is removed)

Cheers,
Old 21st March 2011, 13:57   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
@Ragul - you seem to be keen on destroying your vehicle. May I volunteer for the same?

A Gypsy is not built for abuse. You will bend your axle tubes, break your leaf-springs and shatter your king-pin bearings if you drive like this.

Re-look your approach to this vehicle...on a road that should be taken at 30, you should be doing 25 in a Gypsy considering how stiffly sprung it is.
Thanks for the warning Gsferrari. I don't plan on repeating it - I just had to do it once to understand how she handles. Now I know the limits - when she becomes unsafe and when there is potential for loss of control, I will drive with studied caution going forward.

BTW any suggestions for front shocks to remove steering wobble when the Gypsy hits a pothole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Since I am working from home today I will remove her top and post some pics Get ready for the strip tease later this evening ...

Cheers

Last edited by Ragul : 21st March 2011 at 13:59.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:08   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I really am not very convinced by the gearbox theory coz a) it can be easily figured out in an otherwise silent gypsy.
I agree, if the noise occurs once in a blue moon then it's nothing to do with the gearbox. May be its the radiator fan touching something, my old gypsy would whine more as the speed increases but the noise was consistent and won't go away until you slow down.
Old 24th March 2011, 20:38   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Is this a 'tuk-tuk' sound or a 'kat-kat' sound? If this is coming on full steering lock/turn, then it seems to be from the differential. Something may not be right there.

Yeah, differential seems to be the source for this one.

Hmm the "tuk tuk" noise is back and a little more sharp and almost "kat kat" like to the ears although I would really like somebody else to hear it and tell me. The other day I tried for 15 mins to replicate it and I was confused by the way it sounded because it was fainter than today. Today it was more clear and loud - when reversing out of my driveway and when on the hair-pin bend of the car park.

Mr. Khan - how serious is the problem if its a differential issue? Will a simple oil refill fix the issue?

PS: Sorry about not posting the pics with windshield down, work kept me busy and I could not allocate time to removing the soft top and lowering windshield and putting it back. I will add those pics in the initial ownership report after a long drive in a dense forest area.

Thanks
--Ragul
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:45   #84
BANNED

Guys

Guess the CWC has been a great and happy distraction!!

Can somebody help and respond to the post I made in the older thread?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post2300835

I would like to place the order by tomorrow and upgrade the suspension when I return from a trip 15 days later.

Thanks

-Ragul
Old 14th May 2011, 11:01   #85
BANNED

Guys

My Gypsy suffered a perpendicular collision in the driver side rear last month from a rashly driven and overspeeding Qualis. The bull bar wrecked the area below the petrol tank.

MASS has ordered a rear quarter panel and will cut out the old section and weld the new one in place. Is there anything I need to take care about and oversee so that they dont botch the job? Is gas welding good enough or should I insist on arc welding?

The rear wheel is also wobbling because the plate to which the wheel is screwed got bent. Can it be straightened without weakening the forged metal?

--Ragul
Old 14th May 2011, 11:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
MASS has ordered a rear quarter panel and will cut out the old section and weld the new one in place. Is there anything I need to take care about and oversee so that they dont botch the job? Is gas welding good enough or should I insist on arc welding?

The rear wheel is also wobbling because the plate to which the wheel is screwed got bent. Can it be straightened without weakening the forged metal?

there is no alternative to the gas welding for the body repair.

& the mechanical parts should be replaced as per the damages.

rgds,
Nikhil

BTW i hope that no one is injured.

Last edited by jeepster : 14th May 2011 at 11:19.
Old 14th May 2011, 16:24   #87
Team-BHP Support

Really sorry to hear the news. Get the panel replaced as well as all the mechanical parts since its a brand new vehicle. Insurance will take the tab, might as well get it in ship shape.
Old 14th May 2011, 18:02   #88
Senior - BHPian

Hope no one is injured. Is the extent of damage too much as i always felt that gypsy had a strong body unlike passengers cars and gets away with a bit of dents and scratches. post pics if you have taken.
Old 14th May 2011, 18:20   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post

Don't worry about the gas welding. They should be able to do a neat job.
Why don't you just order a new Rim as well. Else, swap the bent rim with that on your spare and make sure you always use the bent rim on spare (even on rotation).
Unmount the tyre and check for any signs of damages.
I sincerely hope your gypsy comes back home as new.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 14th May 2011, 20:35   #90
BANNED

Thanks Guys.

It is not the rim that is bent but the vertical round plate that is connected to the axle - into which we mount the tyre. I think it is at an angle from 90degrees. Not sure if the wheel bearings need fixing or it needs to be straightened. The MASS guy took a 5 min glance under body and said no need for new parts for that. Should I insist on new parts?

Insurance is cleared.

No injuries thankfully - my right shoulder banged the inside of the door on impact and the area around the door locks vertical knob bent and the paint cracked!!

On that note I also received the CFL front and rear suspension kit last week.

I have been too busy to post pics or discuss this incident due to late nights at office, sorry.

Will update with pics later this week.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 14th May 2011 at 20:45.

Most Viewed