Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2010, 08:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Noticed something now... Why isnt a hose' connected between the airfilter and the intake manifold?? Anything could be lodged inside the intake, have seen rat families, birds nest, hay, in similar places in abandoned vehicles..!!

Jeep won't start - please help trouble shoot.-1.jpg
Old 9th December 2010, 12:25   #17
BHPian

Re: Jeep won't start - please help trouble shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Noticed something now... Why isnt a hose' connected between the airfilter and the intake manifold??
I took out the hose to have a better view of the engine & pump for the photo. The hose is clean and so is the intake manifold.

I couldn't get the glow-plugs to loosen. Tried for about 30 mins and gave up. Was afraid to use too much force as I was wary of stripping threads or breaking off something. Dabbed some kerosene (sorry, don't have WD40) around it hoping it will seep in and loosen the threading. Will try again this week.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:16   #18
BHPian

OK, its been five months since my last post and things didn't change much. Got the Jeep started with a mech's help - the problem was in the fuel delivery. The problems continued and the vehicle frequently stalled and refused to start.

The mech finally pin-pointed the problem with the mico fuel feed pump. (See attached pics). He said that it was not holding the vaccum and air was seeping in causing the diesel to go back in the line.

Jeep won't start - please help trouble shoot.-micofeedpumpa.jpg

Jeep won't start - please help trouble shoot.-micofeedpumpb.jpg

As the mech' suggested, I gave the unit for an overhaul. The repair guy kept it for a day and returned it the next day saying that it cannot be repaired as the innards were completely worn out. Only option is to replace the unit.

The mech and I looked at few places for a 2nd hand unit, but it was not available. I finally gave up and started looking for a new one and even that is not available. The one store in town that is well-known for stocking old M&M parts said that they can source it for Rs 2,000. That is kinda steep to spend for an engine that won't even fetch 5K if sold.

One shop showed a pump for Rs 750 that was very similar except for a protrusion at one end that he called a "roller" and said it would work with the B-275. (Sorry don't have a photo) But the mech refused saying that he never saw it and cannot guarantee it would work. The shop guy would not accept a return or give any guarantee. So I didn't take that either.

Any idea where I can get that pump in Hyderabad? Any part number? What would be a reasonable price to pay for it?

Thanks
Teja

Last edited by H3LIOS : 18th May 2011 at 11:17.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:27   #19
BANNED

Why are you taking half measures in sorting out the issues?

Either you go the whole hog or sell this thing?

These jugaad schemes will go on eternally.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why are you taking half measures in sorting out the issues?
Sorry, but I don't understand. I got a mechanic to trouble shoot and he said a part has gone bad. I tried to get it repaired, but couldn't. So I am now trying to replace the part. How is this a "half measure"?

And if replacing a failed part with a new part is half measure what would be a "Full" measure?

Quote:
Either you go the whole hog or sell this thing? These jugaad schemes will go on eternally.
I am guessing that by going the whole hog you might mean doing it up completely... well, not every one had the budget or time or inclination to do that.

As for selling the vehicle, yes I am considering that.

Spitfire, you are a senior member of this forum and I had learnt much from your posts. But I would like to point out that your reply didn't address any of my questions or help my situation in anyway. Infact I feel that you have belittled my efforts to fix my Jeep. I don't think that is in the spirit of this forum.

Regards.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:54   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
And if replacing a failed part with a new part is half measure what would be a "Full" measure?
You get a mechanic to sort out an issue when the vehicle does not start.

A idle diesel engine can create a lot of gummy stuff in the engine innards. This could potentially clog your fuel lines and mess the fuel pump bad.

Remember the fuel pump is the heart of a diesel engine. And is probably the most complicated of all components on a IDI one.

A busted fuel pump needs to be changed by an original. The original pump is available. You probably need to look around more or put up a request on the forum. I am sure some folks can help you get one.

A replacement (looks like one) is a half measure for sure. A fuel pump costs a bit but getting a right one is really important.

Trying various other options will invariably lead you to trying to match the rest of the engine components to the jugaad part.

Quote:
not every one had the budget or time or inclination to do that.
Then these niggles will keep happening. A vehicle that is running on compromised parts will keep failing.

Quote:
But I would like to point out that your reply didn't address any of my
questions or help my situation in anyway.
I was trying to give direction to the effort you are putting in here. Repairing it only when it is broken is not going to give you the required solution.

Quote:
Infact I feel that you have belittled my efforts to fix my Jeep. I don't think that is in the spirit of this forum.
Honestly there was no intention as above. Heck I never have such an intention ever. Its just my luck that my wordings don't go well with folks on a non visual medium.

I am sorry if you feel offended. I will stay away from your posts and threads from now onwards.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry if you feel offended. I will stay away from your posts and threads from now onwards.
- Don't know how to respond or what to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
As for selling the vehicle, yes I am considering that.
Sold the Jeep yesterday with a full disclosure to the buyer. Hope he has better ownership experience than me.

Cheers.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Your mechanic is right. I had a similar problem on my old engine and that part you mentioned is the lift pump for diesel. This is what you use to bleed the system when you get an airlock. When this fails you basically keep getting air into the diesel line leading to airlocks and your engine stalling and running erratically.
I don't think Spitfire really knew about the part and hence his suggestion. Under normal circumstances you would need to overhaul the entire diesel pump, but in this archaic inline system, changing the lift pump is a very accepted solution.
Spitfire, you're a valued member, don't take things personally!

Most Viewed