Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2010, 00:08   #1

Queries about my two Mahindra 550s and a '71 Kaiser Willys

Hi guys, I'm from Bangalore and if I've not made an introduction, I'd like to mention that I've got three jeeps, one an MM550XD (2000 mod), an MM550DP (1996 mod) and a Kaiser Willys (1971 mod). I'm limited on the tech side of things and would request for some in-depth views on the terms used...sorry!!! Please fill me in...I'd love to carry the conversation further.

1. Firstly, I'd like to revist an old topic and one of the most nut cracking ones for any jeepers I suppose, and that being the engine/Gearbox combos. On the DP, I've got the standard Peugeot 2.1 L engine and fitted it with a BA-10 GB with crown/pinion ratios of 44/9 (don't know what it means from a theoretical standpoint, but would request some input on this). The jeep gives me decent pickup and speed, but I'm not satisfied with what I had envisioned what an old Scorpio GB could do. Does it have something to do with the engine (being an underpowered one), which really starts to struggle once I cross the 100 kmph mark or does it have to do with some extra tweaking (which I haven't done) on the fuel pump, better crown/pinion ratios or even an overdrive combination (turbo, etc.). All I need is just an increment of 15-20% on the performance because I know it's all my jeep could take. It's a 2wd and I'm looking to upgrade to a 4wd and would like a manual transfercase rather than the electronic ones that come with the old Bolero 4wd or so, from what I gather. Please advise...

2. Secondly, on the Kaiser I've got a 307 Benz engine with a 6-speed (5+1) GB. It's very underpowered and I'm looking at overhauling the mech specs to be a cruiser (because I travel from B'lore to Ooty regularly) and would like to make my travel in the 90-120 kmph range. Again, from what limited knowledge I have, the engine could be an XD3P with the 6-speed GB (5+1) ratio, and of course changing over the differentials and brake systems (drums to disc brakes). Is this a good change-over to do or do I have other options as well? I'm purely looking at it being a 2wd and nothing more.

3. Thirdly, a friend of mine has a 1965 Willys with a refitted MG410 gypsy engine (1 L) with 4-speed 4wd GB. It's very underpowered and he's looking for a changeover to a better engine and GB combination. What do you guys suggest? I suppose from a regulation point of view we need another petrol engine, rather than a diesel one, and would like to know what would be the most optimal combo to make this a cruising vehicle, because he hardly does the OTR stuff, but would like to retain the 4-wd if he decides to go off-road sometime.

4. Lastly, I've changed the steering on my MM550 (XD3P) to the old Bolero power steering one (the box/motor system) and would like to know if this a reliable kit for an offroader. If not, what possible problems I might encounter...I'm due to be selling this fully reconditioned one and I want to be in a better position to explain to the buyer the possible pros and cons.

Thanks guys. I'm open to you'll not only educating me and apprising me of the tech specs but also on your views on one or all of the above problem areas I have and I'd appreciate if you guys can update me on any of your suggestions other than what I have in mind.

Cheers!!!
Old 25th November 2010, 13:21   #2
AVR
BHPian

Hi Mel Singh,

Till the experts chip in thought I'll try answering some q's:

1) Given that your 550DP already has the BA-10, the simplest improvement for speed would be reducing from a 44/9 aka 4.88 to the 4.27 ratio. That would surely improve your top speed but at the cost of a lower-torque driving experience. Please note that if you plan to convert it into 4wd and take it offroading the existing 44/9 is an ideal compromise for the DP

2) The Kaiser would work well with the XD3P engine and the BA-10 5+1 gearbox. On the petrol side, even the 1.8 petrol Isuzu is a good option. Some petrol 440s were made by Mahindra with that engine

3) The 1965 willys - you can probably look for a Hurricane engine or the 1.8 Isuzu but I am not sure so will let someone else answer that.

Cheers,
Aditya
Old 25th November 2010, 14:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Request you t post few pictures of your Jeeps, especially the Kaiser.

Hyderabad has many Kaiser jeeps and many of them are fitted with Toyota 2c.
Old 29th November 2010, 23:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Request you t post few pictures of your Jeeps, especially the Kaiser.

Hyderabad has many Kaiser jeeps and many of them are fitted with Toyota 2c.
Hi Silver, this jeep is presently stripped down and as such don't have any pics right away to provide you...

But in short way of explaining, it's the one with the bonnet that goes all the way to the sides without a step like the MM540s or 550s for that matter, and the front grill is a little different with the bonnet curving inwards a bit more and thus making the headlights cut into the grill...the rest of it is the same for the Kaisers of this model...sorry about the pics, but I'm hoping this could fill you in
Old 29th November 2010, 23:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hi Mel Singh,

Till the experts chip in thought I'll try answering some q's:

1) Given that your 550DP already has the BA-10, the simplest improvement for speed would be reducing from a 44/9 aka 4.88 to the 4.27 ratio. That would surely improve your top speed but at the cost of a lower-torque driving experience. Please note that if you plan to convert it into 4wd and take it offroading the existing 44/9 is an ideal compromise for the DP

2) The Kaiser would work well with the XD3P engine and the BA-10 5+1 gearbox. On the petrol side, even the 1.8 petrol Isuzu is a good option. Some petrol 440s were made by Mahindra with that engine

3) The 1965 willys - you can probably look for a Hurricane engine or the 1.8 Isuzu but I am not sure so will let someone else answer that.

Cheers,
Aditya

Thanks AVR, I'm seriously looking at your considerations on the Kaiser makeover, as I get the feeling that that will be the most optimal from a few different points of view. As to the 4.27 ratio, thanks, I'll try and get one and let's see how it goes...

And I've given my friend the suggestions on the petrol engine...he said he wanted to think a bit more and then decide...let's leave it to him

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks