Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 22:50   #1
BHPian

Whats the best LSD oil to use?

Hi Friends,
Until today i don't know that how ignorant our local mechanic, i just done my first service after rebuilding my white army spec mm -550, i saw something is missing, i asked my mechanic weather u replaced diff oil he said yes sir, and for my shock its 90 grade oil, i asked him again Yar this jeep is eqiped with LSD and companywala has specially fitted a small embosed metal piece mentioning we have to use separate oil for this, he checked and confirmed Sir Something Shell written their more then that i can't read, please Experts Advice me which oil is recommended and Availability please.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Whats the best LSD oil to use?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Hi Friends,
Until today i don't know that how ignorant our local mechanic, i just done my first service after rebuilding my white army spec mm -550, i saw something is missing, i asked my mechanic weather u replaced diff oil he said yes sir, and for my shock its 90 grade oil, i asked him again Yar this jeep is eqiped with LSD and companywala has specially fitted a small embosed metal piece mentioning we have to use separate oil for this, he checked and confirmed Sir Something Shell written their more then that i can't read, please Experts Advice me which oil is recommended and Availability please.
Hi Viji,

I don't know the companywala spec, But I have been using GL5 85w140 since 2006.

Any Brand, but the specifications are GL5 85W140.

Also try this in you Gearbox and T-Case, even front Axle.

Tipper Guard Max 85W-140 is a Gear Oil of Ashok Leyland

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th December 2010, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir Something Shell written their more then that i can't read.
swastikviji,
As per the manufacturers recommendation for LSD, the embossed plate reads: SHELL-SPIRAX HD 90.
Whats the best LSD oil to use?-img_9985.jpg
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2010, 22:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
swastikviji,
As per the manufacturers recommendation for LSD, the embossed plate reads: SHELL-SPIRAX HD 90.
Attachment 465954
Regards,

Fazal sir/Arka thank you, i got Ashokleyland oil, Shell is not Available off the Shelf.

Fazal sir off the topic,, where u get this brand new label?
Old 9th December 2010, 06:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fazal sir/Arka thank you, i got Ashokleyland oil, Shell is not Available off the Shelf.

Fazal sir off the topic,, where u get this brand new label?
Good Morning Viji,
This is not a brand new one, as advised by Arka, I had picked up a pair of army MM550 front and rear diffs. for my CJ 340...this plate luckily survived but was all painted and re painted over. I removed it all and got it zinc plated.

Arka,
What do you have to advice reg. the viscosity of the oil that you use against the manufacturers recommendation/ specs?
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 9th December 2010 at 06:36.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

85w140

Quote:
Arka,
What do you have to advice reg. the viscosity of the oil that you use against the manufacturers recommendation/ specs?
Regards,
Hi Fazal,

I don't know much about gear oils, but I prefer using a High Quality Gear Oil which works for all the Gears in my vehicle, Front & Rear Differentials, Gear Box and Transfer Case & Steering Box.

A GL5 Oil is an Extreme Pressure Oil.

And since it is Multi-Grade its Low temperature Viscosity is that of a 85W Oil, and High Temperature Viscosity of a 140W Oil.

Also it has various additives, which prevent corrosion.

Gear oils [SubsTech]

Regards,

Arka
Old 9th December 2010, 11:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: 85w140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
And since it is Multi-Grade its Low temperature Viscosity is that of a 85W Oil, and High Temperature Viscosity of a 140W Oil.
Even i was wondering the same, isn't it better to use multi instead of single grade?

Viji good that you found the oil, i need a bucket of same brew. Gonna do a minor overhaul and service of DwArF and right time to shift to leyland oil
Old 9th December 2010, 11:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Differential

Hi Fazal,

What is the Standard Differential Gear Oil used in JEEPs?

It is a 140W Gear Oil, for Tropical (Hot Weather & Humidity) Use.

In Colder Climates (Europe/North America) 80W90 or even a 90W is suitable.

But Why is Shell SPRIAX 90 recommended for the LSD?

In a LSD 2 components generate Heat.

i) The Crown & Pinion Assy (Spider/Differential Pinion Gears)
ii) The Wet Clutch Plates of the LSD.

If we use a 140W Oil the Clutch Plates will not get adequately lubricated, initially as the Oil is too thick to penetrate between the Clutch Plates, and the Clutch Plates wear out.

But a 90W oil is more suitable to lubricate the wet clutch plates of the LSD, as it is thinner and once it heats up the differential starts to sing, especially in Hotter Parts of the country.

But a 85W140 works a bit differently, initially it lubricates the wet clutch plates, and as things get hotter the oil gets thicker, giving lubricating the Crown & Pinion Gears.

It is a smarter Lubricant, but the biggest advantage is not that is is suitable for LSD or Differential, but even Gear Boxes, where a 140W is too thick to lubricate, initially when the gear box is warming/heating up.

Since it is a better lubricant, and has multiple use in a single vehicle, it cuts down inventory.

Experts please correct or make the necessary additions.

Regards,

Arka
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SpiraxA.pdf (47.4 KB, 622 views)

Last edited by ex670c : 9th December 2010 at 11:31.
Old 9th December 2010, 19:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Arka,

That is very well explained, I get the point and understand the advantages of multi grade in the differentials.

Now my question is, when this particular LSD was standard for the army 550's in India, so was this plate specifying the oil grade, fitted (in India) on differentials with the imported LSD in it.

In spite of the hot climate here, the factory fitted plate recommending Shell Spirax 90, same as in colder countries?

Was this oil recommendation on plate an oversight, or is it the right grade to be used?

Sir Behram or Spike can perhaps enlighten us and also let us know what the army has been using.

Regards,
Old 10th December 2010, 10:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

D44 Track-Lok

Quote:
Thanks Arka,

That is very well explained, I get the point and understand the advantages of multi grade in the differentials.

Now my question is, when this particular LSD was standard for the army 550's in India, so was this plate specifying the oil grade, fitted (in India) on differentials with the imported LSD in it.

In spite of the hot climate here, the factory fitted plate recommending Shell Spirax 90, same as in colder countries?

Was this oil recommendation on plate an oversight, or is it the right grade to be used?

Sir Behram or Spike can perhaps enlighten us and also let us know what the army has been using.

Regards,

Hi Fazal,

My guess that when 1970s design, TRAC-LOK was introduced 1996-2000 MM550XD Vehicles, Shell SPIRAX A GL5 90W, was the easiest available GL5 oil.

Regards,

Arka
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D44-Trac-lok5313-3.pdf (1.09 MB, 795 views)
Old 26th December 2010, 15:29   #11
BHPian

Re: Whats the best LSD oil to use?

Replaced Oil with Shell Spirax, the best part as explained by Arka same brew is Suitable for LSD differential, trancefercase,and main Gear Box. not drove the vehicle after oil change, i will post after driving it in next OTR, if i feel any major changes in performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Whats the best LSD oil to use?-shell1.jpg  

Whats the best LSD oil to use?-shell2.jpg  

swastikviji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2010, 19:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Gurus,

I have got a Friction Additive along with the Auburn GEAR LSD unit, The recommendation as mentioned in the friction additive's lable:
Whats the best LSD oil to use?-100_2247.jpg

"All Auburn Gear Performance Limited-Slip Differential designs have been extensively teated with high quality non-synthetic 80W90 hypoid gear oil treated with Auburn Gear friction additive part number, 504102.

3 oz. of additive will treat 1 quart of oil.
6 oz. of additive will treat 2 quarts of oil.
9 oz. of additive will treat 3 quarts of oil.

To avoid differential clutch chatter(noise) and for optimum performance, use the oil described and this additive in the prescribed amount. Use of other additives and oil types may cause differential clutch chatter."

I think as Arka states "GL5 85W140" should be a replacement, as it has already got the required Additives.
Old 26th December 2010, 21:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Differential

Quote:
But a 85W140 works a bit differently, initially it lubricates the wet clutch plates, and as things get hotter the oil gets thicker, giving lubricating the Crown & Pinion Gears.
Regards,

Arka
Hi,
I think a multigrade does not thin out as much as a single grade, rather than becoming thicker with increasing temp.

Maybe someone can compare the lubrication needs of a) Slushbox, b) LSD (clutch type) and c) Motorcycle gearbox. In all three cases, the lubrcant has to lubricate, while maintaining the friction characteristics of the clutches/ brakes.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th December 2010, 11:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Correction

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
I think a multigrade does not thin out as much as a single grade, rather than becoming thicker with increasing temp.
Hi Sutripta,

Thanks for the correction.

Regards,

Arka
Old 22nd September 2013, 00:03   #15

Dear jeep gurus, how many litres of lsd oil will be required for the front/rear differntial, transfer case and gear box? And after I drain the old oil, do I need to clean up using some kind of solution before I put the new oil? Sorry too many questions, and thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bronco Buster

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks