Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2011, 15:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to stop Jeep from stalling in water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Santosh, why is the connector welded there in the very first place? Do you think it is required there?
Spike
I too felt it should have been on or before the bend, towards the exhaust manifold side.
Old 25th January 2011, 16:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
I too felt it should have been on or before the bend, towards the exhaust manifold side.
Fazal saab, exactly, there is a reason why it is provided. Have a look-How to stop Jeep from stalling in water?-20110125_165058.jpg
@Santosh, I think the position of this part in your Jeep is incorrect, please get rid of this "thingie"!

Spike
Old 25th January 2011, 17:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Flex Pipe:

flex pipe - Google Search
Old 25th January 2011, 18:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That "thingie" is called as a Flex connector or a Flexible bellow.

@Santosh, why is the connector welded there in the very first place? Do you think it is required there?

Spike
Quote:
Fazal saab, exactly, there is a reason why it is provided. Have a look-Attachment 488607
@Santosh, I think the position of this part in your Jeep is incorrect, please get rid of this "thingie"!

Spike
Usually its held by a clamp with bolts right? And how critical is the positioning, next to manifold? I know it is a weak part which tends to break off (manifold pipe area, when connected by rigid pipe), have seen it happen. But by attaching it before the next body clamp in the exhaust system, arent we reducing the stress anyway?

Even in Thar i see there is something like that under the front floor area before the box?

So where should this flexi tube "ideally" come?
Old 25th January 2011, 19:03   #20
BHPian

Re: how to stop jeep from stalling in water??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
After every stall what was done to get the engine started again, this is important to pinpoint the reason?
For eg. If you needed to clean the tank, fuel line, diesel filters, then it could be water entering the tank.
fisrstly Fazal bhai, nice to hear from you,
1. first time the water entered from the air filter, whose inlet was wrongly positioned at the radiator direction, in order to suck in max air ( water too )
I rectified it later by placing the inlet of the air filter in take pipe right back close to the engine firewall, in my bolero and went through this..

How to stop Jeep from stalling in water?-38067_1538804515290_1390211737_1421931_5250250_n.jpg

How to stop Jeep from stalling in water?-38507_1538804915300_1390211737_1421935_3102566_n.jpg

How to stop Jeep from stalling in water?-38507_1538804955301_1390211737_1421936_4185460_n.jpg

2. second time the jeep was bogged down in something like sand in 2 feet water, vehicle was running for about 10 mins till a recovery vehicle could come thru, but by then, the engine gave up, and kaput!!!, i had to drain the engine and the fuel tank.
3. the third time was peculiar. i never understood how it stalled!!!
i was cruising along nicely in about 2 feet deep water, in second low, no high speed drama, and after crossing about 20-30 ft of the stream, the engine just died down, as if someone switched it off!!!. air filter was dry.
on closer inspection, afterwards , i found out that the return pipe on top of the fuel tank was a bit loose. could it be the problem? its also important to know that i had crossed another stream enroute to the one i stalled, about 500 meters before this one.
Old 25th January 2011, 20:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Usually its held by a clamp with bolts right? And how critical is the positioning, next to manifold? I know it is a weak part which tends to break off (manifold pipe area, when connected by rigid pipe), have seen it happen. But by attaching it before the next body clamp in the exhaust system, arent we reducing the stress anyway?

Even in Thar i see there is something like that under the front floor area before the box?

So where should this flexi tube "ideally" come?
The function of this part is similar to the slip joint in a propeller shaft i.e. to take up the slack / inconsistencies within the system (here exhaust). As you know, engine while running "rocks", the primary exhaust pipe which is connected to the engine becomes rigid (as it is bolted). So when the engine rocks this pipe moves along with it. As the orientation of the joining pipes may be in a different plane (bending axis is different) this mechanism takes up the oscillations and prevents / minimizes it from being transferred to the next pipe. Most exhaust pipes come with flanges at the end (which are welded ) which when subjected to torsional loads give away at the welds (weld areas are the points of maximum stress concentration).

The first bends in the exhaust pipes are the regions which get heated maximum, it is desired that this component does not foul with others (which are more prone to fire), hence they are moved as close to the exhaust primary pipe as possible. Most vehicles today have this.

Hope it is clear now.

Spike
Old 25th January 2011, 21:43   #22
Team-BHP Support

Loud and clear Spikeeeee! Thanks a ton again. Should be a good upgrade when i change DwArFie's pipes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks