Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 12:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
This is the model we will be looking to get final quotes for...this has the angle fixed to 70 deg.

Anyone know any FRP guys who can give me better quotes?

Thanks,
Manas
Good work there. The only oddity I feel are the rear windows. The main issue I see is that they are at a whole different level (lower) compared to the front ones. That makes the rear look droopy. Align the rear glass to the front ones and at a similar glass height and it will look cool.

EDIT: I was saying just what offroad_maniac picturized in the post above. It looks great that way

Last edited by jayded : 29th March 2011 at 12:36.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
You also missed out measuring the Thar from below the bumper like you did for the Wrangler.

Manas
Manas,

In the case of Wrangler bumper, Its look like a part of the body But in case of Thar Its different,Its not a part of the body. Thats why I did it like that.

The plan in My mind is this But now I am going ahead with a Metal Frame + Soft top.

Thar Hardtop Design-new111.jpg

Thar Hardtop Design-bew23.jpg

- Sreejesh
Old 29th March 2011, 12:52   #33
BHPian

@Offroad maniac - the windows definitely look good the way you have modded it - will change that in the design...But will keep the straight back and 70 deg angle. Will look at increasing the straight line height and decreasing the height of the angled part if possible.

I guess dislike is a strong word...I just feel it could look a lot better and more aggressive. And for some reason - it looks quite plain to me...

@Sreejesh - Please let me know how you get on with your top...will be interesting to see progress. As always, pics speak best!

The toughest part for me is the fact that I do not have a Thar YET and have to "borrow" someone else's as well as their time to keep making changes and see the looks. Can anyone give me the height of the windows of the Thar? And the height from the bottom of the tub from to where the windows starts?

In production news - spoke to an old friend today who is into FRP (YAY!!) and he says he can build a cloth version of the top for me. Says he can then spray the FRP onto the cloth to create the top and then can use that as the prototype...will cut costs down drastically. Maybe cut costs down to even 20,000 or 30,000. Fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Manas

Last edited by manasm : 29th March 2011 at 12:55.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Speedy - I know it looks confusing...am still looking at window positions and looks. Like I mentioned before, I like the Mustang Fastback looks (had one a while ago) and want to see if I can replicate those aggressive but smooth looks on this top. I am experimenting with the one and 2 windows on the sides. The cost difference would be marginal - or so I was told.

Also, I thought the roof was in a straight line...will check the drawings again and confirm!
Thats the reason i mentioned rendering of the top design, but since you are the creator, you know best of whats in your mind. I can give a feedback and only imagine.

What i think is the Mustang fast back look is good for those who want to offroad with a hardtop, for the city if you plan on making people sit it wont be suited as the head room gets compromised.

The roof as in you have kept the section above the drivers head in the position that the soft top has, sloping in the front. Now if it is for personal use i would shave the center pillar down to the windscreen level and have the hardtop stay straight throughout. This would be like the top on the wrangler as posted by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Manas,

In the case of Wrangler bumper, Its look like a part of the body But in case of Thar Its different,Its not a part of the body. Thats why I did it like that.

The plan in My mind is this But now I am going ahead with a Metal Frame + Soft top.
Sreejeshmp have you considered shaving the center pillar to the windscreen height. It would look much better.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 524999
Attachment 525000
Attachment 525001
I think The HT hight of Jeep Wrangler is almost same as it's Body Hight,Thats the reason why almost all the types of HT/ST will look good on a Wrangler.But in the case of Thar The body hight is very less compared with ST/HT Hight so you should be very careful on design Other wise it will look Bad and after few days you yourself will get bored. So the easy and best idea is try to make the replica of the Italian thar's HT.

- Sreejesh
+ it would be better if the glass margin near the B pillar is also slightly angled accordingly.
Dr.Jones
Old 29th March 2011, 14:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thar Hardtop Design

Guys: Points to think about:

1. Straight lines are easy to manufacture. - Disassemble and re-assemble.
2. Glass is heavier than FRP or fibre glass.
3. The A, B and C pillars should be as thin as possible to enhance visibility
4. The glass base line should be even throughout starting from the front windscreen through the vehicle
5. Rain channels should be incorporated in the HT design [hint look at M800 roof]
6.Rounding the edges would definitely change the character and appeal but is contrary to point #1 stated above.

Cheers.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:14   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Manas,

Attachment 525011

Attachment 525012

- Sreejesh
@Sreejesh - to get this angled look from the rear (which I personally like), the doors, b-pillar and front windscreen needs to be replaced with that of a Mahindra pic-up, all the rakes are naturally present in that vehicle!
Old 29th March 2011, 16:36   #38
BHPian

cpbopanna,

Its just a model for the fabricator there will be changes with respect to the resources and practicality.
I am not going to spend anything more than 25-30K for HT/ST,So no modification on the original Body.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:37   #39
BHPian

Off Topic - Just test drove a Thar...all I have to say is Holy S**t! Nice pickup...and the steering is very light.

Loved it - though I do think it will not do well at high speeds due to the steering. The brakes were extremely loose and did not inspire much confidence in the vehicle...not going to talk about fit and finish at all!

Good news is that there is a Thar which will be available beginning next month that someone does not want...so I have 2 days to convince the wife to go for it before the HT is ready!

Thanks a lot Spike and Vinod! You guys made my week!

Thanks,
Manas
Old 29th March 2011, 21:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

This is REDMM340's jeep with steel hardtop. I like its shape. I would also like a robust carrier rack on top like this.

But, to me, this top has visibilty, symetry and continuity with the JEEP retro look.
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-hardtop-jeep-1-copy.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-hardtop-jeep-2-copy.jpg  

DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2011, 20:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

The original (first-gen?) Roplas FRP hardtop for the MM540 is very ugly : but, I have been seeing a couple of police MM540s (blue colour), which has a better-looking (second-gen) Roplas hardtop. I think it is quite aesthetically pleasing. Let me see if I can get some pics of them.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:20   #42
BHPian

here are some pics of the latest roplas HTs, from my HD. all the photos are from teambhp only, so respective owners - pls excuse for using without prior permission from all of you. the pics were uploaded to show the latest roplas HT design, much better than the earlier ones.
Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-p9201837.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-211.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-540_cross.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 2nd April 2011, 00:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

IFAIK roplas is out of business form some time.
& is not producing hard tops any more.
Quote:
  • 1999 - Mr.S.J.Marshall, Dr.B.H.Wadia and Mr.R.K.Kulkarni retire by rotation at the ensuing Annual General Meeting and being eligible offer themselves for re-election.
  • 2000 - The Company has made a proposal to all its 259 workmen at its Pimpri factory for voluntary retirement.
source Roplas (India) > Company History > Plastics > Company History of Roplas (India) - BSE: 509854, NSE: N.A
Old 27th April 2011, 12:05   #44
BHPian

After a long break, time to get back to the HT.

We have designed it so that it 'should' fit a 540/550 and Thar off the shelf. Production starts this week on the pattern and we should have the prototype ready in about 3 weeks.

The final design will be unveiled once we complete the prototype. Some keys are:
  • 2.5mm thick fiberglass - cross weaved to ensure strength and flexibility
  • exterior finish will be the same as the dash of the Santro
  • interior will be carpeted with foam backing to cut noise
  • tempered glass windows
  • stainless steel or plastic fittings/latches for the removable window
  • rubber beading on all mounting areas on the body and around the windows
  • the major design change is that the top will cover the B pillar completely on the sides and top and will stretch from the top of the front windshield to the rear. The rear glass panel will not be removable but will open upwards like the boot of a Santro. There will be only one glass 'sunroof' area which will be removable and over the front cabin. The rear will have 2 large side windows (removable) and the rear glass door (non-removable)
  • The idea is to minimize the amount of work on the body of the jeep - maybe drilling of 2 holes only, if all goes well.
One of the things we are trying to ensure is that the top will be light enough to lift with just two people.

Looks like it will cost about 50,000 all finished. So, quite happy about that.

Anyone in Blore want to volunteer 1 week of their 540/Thar to sit at our workshop for measurement and fitting trials? Please PM and let us know. Can pay for the rental for the week.

Wish us luck!

Thanks,
Manas

Last edited by manasm : 27th April 2011 at 12:18. Reason: adding input
manasm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 13:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There will be only one glass 'sunroof' area which will be removable and over the front cabin.
Every one of these I have seen in India leaks badly. This is not good up here where the monsoon comes hard and stays long. You got a no sun roof version?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks