Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 17:41   #271
BHPian

Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
All these comments just make me want to drive down to Bangalore and get the job done.

@raghu4222, I know the AC is quite effective even with the current soft top set up but have you done anything else specifically to get the small gaps/ spaces etc sealed?, especially where the rear flap closes towards the tail-gate.
In addition to letting the heat in they also bring in lots of dust.
I have got the the drain holes and the other unnecessary holes on the floor closed with nut/bolts since it lets a lot of dust come in from below.
Nitin,

My soft top condition is still stock, no modifications done or nothing specifically done to close these gaps. But that is next on my list, but before that i'm to try a material that was suggested by the V-cool guy that was used in the old tempo travelers while doing the AC for the tempo travelers to retain the cooling inside for sometime, so thinking of experimenting with that first and then finally seal the small openings off.

Yeah, but the dust reduces considerably, once you have the AC on and you have rolled up your windows.
raghu4222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 09:28   #272
BANNED

Hi Nitin,

I dont think its wise for Nithin to drive down to bangalore only for AC.
We cool charges @ 25000/00, Diesel from Mumbai to bangalore round trip may cost @ 8500/00. Stay and misc may cause @ 5000/00. So total of around 38 to 40 K against a dealer set up of 50K wont make any sense.BD sir can suggest a ASC to install at MUMBAI.

Many holes found on the floor and pillars are having specific reasons.Ones you start unfolding it , will make you happy.

Hi Raghu,

We are driving down to R&T event in kuttikanam on 8th Morning.While comming back from kerala, im planning to do insulations work on the full rear and side part of soft top from inside and velcro sticking of rear open flap at Thodupuzha.I have seen a Bangalore THAR CRDe which was amazingly done by these guys with full chill and zero dust inside even after 2 weeks of daily usage.

Rajith
Old 6th March 2012, 13:27   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi Nitin,

I dont think its wise for Nithin to drive down to bangalore only for AC.
We cool charges @ 25000/00, Diesel from Mumbai to bangalore round trip may cost @ 8500/00. Stay and misc may cause @ 5000/00. So total of around 38 to 40 K against a dealer set up of 50K wont make any sense.BD sir can suggest a ASC to install at MUMBAI.

Many holes found on the floor and pillars are having specific reasons.Ones you start unfolding it , will make you happy.

Hi Raghu,

We are driving down to R&T event in kuttikanam on 8th Morning.While comming back from kerala, im planning to do insulations work on the full rear and side part of soft top from inside and velcro sticking of rear open flap at Thodupuzha.I have seen a Bangalore THAR CRDe which was amazingly done by these guys with full chill and zero dust inside even after 2 weeks of daily usage.

Rajith
Yes Rajith, cost wise it doesn't seem practical to come to Bangalore only for the AC, but I had also heard few stories about even the dealer installed ACs not being upto the mark. I gues now they must have sorted it out and also the cost for the ASC fitted AC was almost 80-90k earlier, which I guess has come down now.

Please do post pics once you do the insulation work on the rear flaps, am looking for ideas to get a similar thing done on my thar.

Thanks & regards,
Nitin
Old 6th March 2012, 16:15   #274
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Raghu,

Rajith
Hi Rajith,

Thank you for the info, I will definitely sync up with you to know more, or maybe meet you sometime when you are back to check on it.

Thanks
Raghu
Old 6th March 2012, 16:38   #275

I finally decided to take the plunge for the A/c with the We cool guys. Getting it done this saturday and I heard he is doing 1 more Thar tomorrow. Bangalore summer does not allow me to wait any longer for M&M and their overpriced mysterious A/c kit.
Old 7th March 2012, 15:33   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk.b View Post
I finally decided to take the plunge for the A/c with the We cool guys. Getting it done this saturday and I heard he is doing 1 more Thar tomorrow. Bangalore summer does not allow me to wait any longer for M&M and their overpriced mysterious A/c kit.
You can trust him and he knows what he is doing, i recently got a superb install done on Gypsy. He procured the compressor that i was particular about and its performing superb in this heat also. No engine heating issue or power loss, unlike the usual installs that happen for Gypsy's. Temp control is at 1/4 and blower at position 1 in peak afternoon for a vehicle parked in sun. Grill temp -0.1 deg and all this at the cheapest quote i got in BLR, with all original brand new parts.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 17:22   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BD sir can suggest a ASC to install at MUMBAI.

Many holes found on the floor and pillars are having specific reasons.Ones you start unfolding it , will make you happy
Dear Rajith - First paragraph answer - Global Gallarie Thane, contact Mr.Shafi Shaikh. I trust him to do a great job. Second paragraph answer - most of the holes are there so that you can use them to advantage. For example Roll Over Bar mounting holes or extra seat belt mounting holes which I have told you what to do with.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th March 2012, 18:18   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
Thats about 25k and you dont need vent system for the back for the cold air to be routed. The setup is as in any hatch backs and believe me it does its job and really effective.
I was quoted 28k, price increased on parts such as compressors. he seems to be in demand, oh the bangalore sun!
Old 9th March 2012, 11:54   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
I was quoted 28k, price increased on parts such as compressors. he seems to be in demand, oh the bangalore sun!
Hmm, thats news, but lucky me as i could complete the job well before the summer set in and the before the price hike.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:02   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
Hmm, thats news, but lucky me as i could complete the job well before the summer set in and the before the price hike.
Summer the prices go up, its nothing to do with a particular shop. All the parts price go up by couple of clicks. One of the reason i got the job done before sun hit the peak.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:15   #281
BANNED

Friends,

On the way back from R&T event at Kutikkanam, we did a stay at Thodupuzha on 9th Night and did 100% insulation inside THAR soft top.

1)OE cover was fully removed.
2)Front Fibre top was firmaly fixed and screwed. Now no rattling at Top.
3)2 belts where made from rear to front win shield.
4)Rear 2 metal pipe supports from LHS to RHS was removed.
5)Full cover of rexin was done on sides , top and up to front glass.
6)Thermocol of 6mm was pasted on top of Rexin.
7)OE Soft top was inserted from top.
8)On rear door, 2inch width full length velcro was fixed and flap closed fully.

Driven @ 650kms direct to bangalore. AC was amazingly cold even in hot sun of Kerala & TN. Absolutely Zero dust inside and no soft top rattling now with an average mileage of 12.

Will post pics soon.

With AC, a proper insulation is 100% must. With out loosing a soft top look of a JEEP..

2 THAR CRDe in bangalore is having this set up now, done from the same guy.

Last edited by Rajith : 12th March 2012 at 12:18.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 17:07   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Davidashish - thanks for your kind words. Now we all know what a Jeep actually means. "The Mighty Thar Exceeded My Expectations", WOW! .

By writing this comment, you, as a customer, have recognized the highest level of customer centricity that we have achieved with this product. Thank you very much. You have made my day and my life.

I strongly suggest you read DKG's Thar thread where I have suggested numerous things. Please do as mentioned, your Thar will not only become more "Jeeplike", it will become a collector's item and also a brand!

Please don't change the tires, they are very much suitable for the vehicle. The driving dynamics are set for these tires.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Detailing Air-conditioning for the Thar

 HCC Cooling Coil
 HCC Clutch & Compressor
 Bolero Cooling Coil
 Tata Safari – Condenser Fan

A few brains applied together [ In the right direction ;-) ]the Thar comes out phenomenal with the air-conditioning. As advised by Mr. Behram I used the standard HCC (Halla Climate Control) Compressor Clutch used as a standard fitment in the Scorpio complied with a genuine HCC condenser. A Bolero cooling coil with some additional brainwave applied to it, to give a superior cooling experience.

Driving it as a regular vehicle in Delhi NCR, doing almost 80kms daily with the company provided soft-top the in cabin cooling is God Sent. Waiting for June to see how it performs. As I’m not keen on getting the fiber hardtop done up I’ve planned to seal the cabin completely with insulating cork sheet cutting down the calidity & hullabaloo from outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012022902407.jpg  

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012022902420.jpg  

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012022902425.jpg  

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012022902434.jpg  

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012022902442.jpg  

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012022902444.jpg  

Old 12th March 2012, 17:48   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith
Friends,

On the way back from R&T event at Kutikkanam, we did a stay at Thodupuzha on 9th Night and did 100% insulation inside THAR soft top.

===================
2 THAR CRDe in bangalore is having this set up now, done from the same guy.
Rajith, could you share the costs of getting this setup done?

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th March 2012 at 11:01. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.
Old 12th March 2012, 21:24   #284
BANNED

Hi,
I paid 3700rs to the liner guys and a day stay in a decent near by hotel MOONLIT costed rs 2700/- with food.
The real side of the story is , these guys does jeep hoods day in & day out, 365days for hi-range - mountain area vehicles to keep rain,winter and summer away and they know what they speak and does.

Last edited by Rajith : 12th March 2012 at 21:26.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 22:51   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

2)Front Fibre top was firmaly fixed and screwed. Now no rattling at Top.
3)2 belts where made from rear to front win shield.
4)Rear 2 metal pipe supports from LHS to RHS was removed.
5)Full cover of rexin was done on sides , top and up to front glass.
6)Thermocol of 6mm was pasted on top of Rexin.
7)OE Soft top was inserted from top.
8)On rear door, 2inch width full length velcro was fixed and flap closed fully.

Driven @ 650kms direct to bangalore. AC was amazingly cold even in hot sun of Kerala & TN. Absolutely Zero dust inside and no soft top rattling now with an average mileage of 12.

Will post pics soon.

With AC, a proper insulation is 100% must. With out loosing a soft top look of a JEEP. THAR CRDe in bangalore is having this set up now, done from the same guy.
Dear Rajith - thanks. You have done what I always wanted to do but with "production constraints" , could not do so. This is the beauty of Thar. It lends itself to customers who are "Auto Passionate" and who understand such fine nuances. Now your vehicle must be really quiet with the AC running in speed 1. I hope you have connected the "special" roll over bar to the B pillar. Please post some photographs.

Next in line, do the driveline changes that we talked about, then see your vehicle transforming into an out and out "torpedo". It will have "SSS". SSS means "Smooth Silent Surge" of power! . Then take it off road, you'll forget everything that you have experienced upto now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 12th March 2012 at 22:52. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks