Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:49   #301
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkakkilaya View Post
Hey there , could u tell me exactly where is we cool is in bangalore ?? thanks.
Approximate location, google maps coordinates 12.96906,77.609341

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-screen-shot-20120402-8.45.43-pm.jpg
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 10:40   #302
BHPian

I got the approved AC kit installed on my Thar at India Garage. I paid about 59000 for it.

I know a lot of people visit this thread to know more about the Thar AC. I myself used to visit this almost every day. Hence posting this information again here.

I have put in a detailed report with some pics on my ownership thread. here is the link below

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Thar AC with Kit
Old 7th April 2012, 17:22   #303
BHPian

[quote=Rajith;2713911]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hi Jaggu

Is your Gypsy a ST or a HT? What compressor did you get? I am planning to go for A/C in my ST Gypsy.

Pics of work-in-progress please...

--
Dear Ranjith,

Improvised on your idea of a getting the cabin insulated,
especially considering the climate in Delhi and approaching cruel summers.
The Thar needs a good insulated cabin being driven here regularly.

DO IT YOURSELF

Material Used –
1. Cork Board – Used for insulating refrigerator rooms. Available in a wide variety and huge price variations. One needs to choose wisely. I went for a 16mm water proof & fire proof cork ply sheet (x2nos).
2. Insulating Foam – 7mtrs (White) x 8mm thick.
3. Glue – Water resist Fevicol carpet glue.
4. Bolts – 1 ˝ inch x 20nos
5. Insulation Tape.

Procedure –
1. Removed the soft top partially, with the help of a carpenter got the cork ply in size with the side body and the roof.
2. Covered the cork panel with foam sheet.
3. Adjusted the roof rails accordingly.
4. Drilled a few slots in the mounting to proved support to the cork board.
5. Covered it again with the soft-top.

No major alterations required and I managed to get all this done at a amazing price.

The cabin is cool and has been able to cut down a lot of noise and dust.

ALL MANAGED UNDER 9K (Interior Cost awaited)

Its amazing what one can do with the Thar
especially when you get your own hands to move on it
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012040602840.jpg  

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012040602842.jpg  

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012040602852.jpg  

Last edited by davidashish : 7th April 2012 at 17:25.
Old 7th April 2012, 17:29   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Rajith - "pin drop silent"! I like that, thanks. You have almost realized my dream vehicle in your capable hands. If you are saying that you have "violent power" now, wait till you do the driveline optimization. Then, your Thar will finally come close to becoming the next MH01V521. Do the brake updation also, because with the new driveline, it's going to become a blisteringly fast vehicle, production brakes will not be sufficient. All my best wishes are with you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir,

Could you please elaborate on the driveline optimization?
Im still confused as to what is it and where i could get this done.
Please Advise.
Old 8th April 2012, 07:52   #305
BHPian

Hi David,

A very good idea to insulate and secure Thar !! With this approach, HT can be avoided totally, i believe.

My friend is looking for front and rear seats for his Thar. Your seats look fantastic. Please let us know if they are comfortable for long drives and the cost of acquiring and installing them, if possible.
Old 8th April 2012, 14:44   #306
BANNED

[quote=davidashish;2738896]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post

Dear Ranjith,

Improvised on your idea of a getting the cabin insulated,
especially considering the climate in Delhi and approaching cruel summers.
The Thar needs a good insulated cabin being driven here regularly.

ALL MANAGED UNDER 9K (Interior Cost awaited)

Its amazing what one can do with the Thar
especially when you get your own hands to move on it
sir 9k is lot of money.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:15   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Hi David,

A very good idea to insulate and secure Thar !! With this approach, HT can be avoided totally, i believe.

My friend is looking for front and rear seats for his Thar. Your seats look fantastic. Please let us know if they are comfortable for long drives and the cost of acquiring and installing them, if possible.
Well, comfort was the first thing i had in mind. First thing first, i got a Innova's seats with arm rests fitted in the front. The ride is now extremely comfortable and more confident on and off-road.

Considering the horizontal seating being provided in the rear with the Thar as standard, it was terrible for a long drive for the rear passengers. Recently got Wagon R front seats installed in the rear. Little alterations were required & now the ride is pretty much comfortable for the rear passengers. Considering my height i too managed to fit my self in the rear seats for a 280km ride and i was pretty much satisfied with it.

Fell free to ask further details !!

Quote:
Hi David,

Well, comfort was the first thing i had in mind. First thing first, i got a Innova's seats with arm rests fitted in the front. The ride is now extremely comfortable and more confident on and off-road.

Considering the horizontal seating being provided in the rear with the Thar as standard, it was terrible for a long drive for the rear passengers. Recently got Wagon R front seats installed in the rear. Little alterations were required & now the ride is pretty much comfortable for the rear passengers. Considering my height i too managed to fit my self in the rear seats for a 280km ride and i was pretty much satisfied with it.

Quote:
Hi David,

[quote=Rajith;2739509]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidashish View Post

sir 9k is lot of money.
Its totally up to one's need and budget.
The Thar is completely open to any type / budget variable modification.
As i mentioned that this price consisted of the interior matting as well as the side / roof matting as well. I customized it according to my needs / requirements and a especially keeping in mind the requirements of my wife's "Black car with Beige Interiors" ;-)

One can get this at a lesser budget by using -
Material Used –
1. Standard Ply Board or Wooden Ply (2)- Rs.1400/-
2. Insulating Foam – 7mtrs x 4mm thick. - Rs.200/-
3. Glue – Carpet glue. - Rs.50/-
4. Bolts – 1 ˝ inch x 20nos - Rs.20/-
5. Insulation Tape. Rs.200/-

TOTAL - Rs. 1900 /-

If you are good at using tools and love to do it yourself, it would not take you more than 9hrs of work on the beast. Else a carpenter should not charge you more 2k

Mod team note: Back to back posts. Please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2012 at 21:11. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks.
Old 9th April 2012, 14:10   #308
BHPian

[quote=davidashish;2740260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post

Its totally up to one's need and budget.
The Thar is completely open to any type / budget variable modification.
As i mentioned that this price consisted of the interior matting as well as the side / roof matting as well. I customized it according to my needs / requirements and a especially keeping in mind the requirements of my wife's "Black car with Beige Interiors" ;-)

One can get this at a lesser budget by using -
Material Used –
1. Standard Ply Board or Wooden Ply (2)- Rs.1400/-
2. Insulating Foam – 7mtrs x 4mm thick. - Rs.200/-
3. Glue – Carpet glue. - Rs.50/-
4. Bolts – 1 ˝ inch x 20nos - Rs.20/-
5. Insulation Tape. Rs.200/-

TOTAL - Rs. 1900 /-

If you are good at using tools and love to do it yourself, it would not take you more than 9hrs of work on the beast. Else a carpenter should not charge you more 2k
Very neat job @davidashish, Can you also post some pics of how it looks from the inside? Any rattling noises after this fitment?
Old 9th April 2012, 14:18   #309
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Davidashish for the prompt response. Could you pls post the interior pics for the seats as well as give me a ballpark for the front seats and rear seats as that would help us in planning our budget better.
Old 9th April 2012, 16:12   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Davidashish for the prompt response. Could you pls post the interior pics for the seats as well as give me a ballpark for the front seats and rear seats as that would help us in planning our budget better.
Hi,

As i mentioned in the above posts the Thar modification / budget
is totally up-to ones need or greed ;-) there is so much you can do with it. Practically if it was not for the sheer love and craze of a 4x4 Jeep i would have settled for a more comfortable Scorpio or Safari or even a Aria for that matter, which would have costed me less - comparatively.
Frankly,
On 28th September 2011, It costed me 7,40,000/- on road ex-Delhi and till date ive invested over 1.2Lac on it. Not to mention the fuel ;-)

All said and done im just loving it.
Seeing heads turn every where you go :-)
PRICELESS

THE SEATING -
Keeping comfort in mind, i feel the Innova has pretty comfortable seats and are readily available in the secondhand market. Note: Avoid going for the refurbished seats that look fancy but in due course of time it would be a pain in the wrong place.
They are wide, super comfortable, with arm rests and a good set of seat cover would do the trick. You would definitely feel the up gradation in the ride comfort after having this installed.

Rear seating is your choice. Various option are available in the market according to ones need. Would post some pics by evening.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:40   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Hi David,

Sorry for the delay, was busy in getting the insulation done.
Pic’s that you requested for the rear sitting.
I got this done keeping in mind the easy entry and exit from the rear of the Thar
rather than one climbing from the front which is not a very comfortable scene for females.
The only disadvantage that I have realized is the cabin cooling, as the seats are placed in the extreme corners and the aircon circulation is limited. I do have plans to rectify this. Lets see whats in store.

[quote=nitin_80;2740399]
Quote:
Very neat job @davidashish, Can you also post some pics of how it looks from the inside? Any rattling noises after this fitment?
Dear Nitin,
Owning a Jeep is like having an obstreperous wife ;-)
It definitely needs “Set to Right” time and again.
None the less, times have changed and so has technology, a good maintenance schedule and timely check keep’s the smile on. So far I have not faced any such issues with the Thar. YES the body construction that I have done need a consummate set of alignment, which I’m about to finalize in a couple of days.
Would definitely share the experience with you !

Mod team note: Back to back posts. Please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012020202291.jpg  

Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-img2012020302296.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2012 at 21:15.
davidashish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 08:56   #312
BHPian

Could somebody post some address in Bangalore where I can get second hand seats for thar. Thank you.
Old 24th September 2012, 23:55   #313

Dear DB Sir,
I have been going through a number of threads as i want a Mahindra Thar for myself, I am not an offroader but need the vehicle for the city driving and travelling to my farms from Noida. I also have a hyundai verna for my personal use. Thus planning to get Mahindra Thar DI for myself but the only thing i am curious about and not able to find in many threads is that can we get an AC and PS fitted in THAR DI.
Please send a msg directly at chaudhary.akash@gmail.com

Regards
Akash
Old 28th September 2012, 11:57   #314
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhary.akash View Post
Dear DB Sir,
I have been going through a number of threads as i want a Mahindra Thar for myself, I am not an offroader but need the vehicle for the city driving and travelling to my farms from Noida. I also have a hyundai verna for my personal use. Thus planning to get Mahindra Thar DI for myself but the only thing i am curious about and not able to find in many threads is that can we get an AC and PS fitted in THAR DI.
Please send a msg directly at chaudhary.akash@gmail.com

Regards
Akash
Dear choudhary,
I am from bangalore and done ac & ps on Di Turbo engine came with Bolero DI 4wd in 2008.
Now Mr Tini @ 4x4addict at coimbatore is doing the same on his Thar di.Please PM him for easy and imm help.

Ref his thread in detail before you take final call - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...finally-4.html

rgrds,
Rajith

Last edited by Rajith : 28th September 2012 at 12:00.
Old 11th February 2013, 15:45   #315
BHPian

[quote=davidashish;2747663]Sorry for the delay, was busy in getting the insulation done.
Pic’s that you requested for the rear sitting.
I got this done keeping in mind the easy entry and exit from the rear of the Thar
rather than one climbing from the front which is not a very comfortable scene for females.
The only disadvantage that I have realized is the cabin cooling, as the seats are placed in the extreme corners and the aircon circulation is limited. I do have plans to rectify this. Lets see whats in store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post

Dear Nitin,
Owning a Jeep is like having an obstreperous wife ;-)
It definitely needs “Set to Right” time and again.
None the less, times have changed and so has technology, a good maintenance schedule and timely check keep’s the smile on. So far I have not faced any such issues with the Thar. YES the body construction that I have done need a consummate set of alignment, which I’m about to finalize in a couple of days.
Would definitely share the experience with you !

Bddy,
I"ve done 41000km with the same insulation. Gone thru sand dunes, heavy snow and slush, amazingly no rattle. Heading for the second summer season here in delhi. Believe me the THAR looks best with the soft top. Many have gone for the fiber top but honestly speaking neither it does the job of INSULATING the cabin well nor it cuts down n the noise. Moreover it spoils the JEEP look completely............

Most Viewed