Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

This is an absolute wrong way to do things. I hope the dealer gets rebuked for it!

One small hit and the intercooler is gone and engine busted
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:34   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Is moving that intercooler to that new location as per the SOP given? I do not think so. And it is looking very likely to get damaged. Not much protection around it. As far as I remember most of the intercoolers are hidden well inside the bonnet.
Dear Download2live / Vikram / Spitfire / Vak - to answer your above question, let me draw your attention to my post no 1 of page no 1 of this thread, where I have attached a photograph. That photograph is of a Thar CRDe vehicle equipped with dealer fitted AC as per SOP. I have conducted this fitment myself. I am attaching the same photograph once again for your ready reference. You will appreciate that in the SOP vehicle, the intercooler is not moved in front of the radiator guard.

You may now draw your own conclusion. . You actually thought I would specify the intercooler in front of the radiator guard? THEN WHERE DO WE FIT THE WINCH, GUYS? OH COME ON NOW! .
The combined kit part number is 1203GAA01210N. The dealer can order parts as a kit or separately if he so desires. I am not able to upload the excel file containing all part numbers, sorry for the same.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar-dsc01972.jpg  

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 3rd June 2011 at 14:41.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:45   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Is that even a good design?
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Is moving that intercooler to that new location as per the SOP given? I do not think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thats a dealer way to make a quick buck IMO!!!!
But.... this being a dealer installation, the warranty will be INTACT!

Looking at all the Thar AC installation showcased on the forum, it looks like not a single dealer has read the AC installation SOP from M&M.
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:04   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The dealer can order parts as a kit or separately if he so desires.
I have highlighted can and desire and both point to the dealer.

What choice does the customer have?

Some of us on this forum know there is an SOP, there are parts and there is Mahindra that cares.

What about the many who don't have a clue that the dealer is using his vehicle as a guinea pig and to riub some salt at the customers expense.

Isn't this totally wrong?

Why does the desire rest with the dealer in what AC to be fitted on the THAR?

There should only be one option and that is your (company's) recommendation.

Why is the dealer acting like an autonomous body here? I am surprised it is TVS, have known the people running this one.

I am hoping you are pulling up such dealers for such horrendous work.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 20:42   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Spitfire - reference your comments above, let me clarify. The desire must of course come from the dealer because he is the interface with the customer. If he wants to order the full kit, he is free to do so. As 19 parts and 4 fasteners are common with Scorpio / Bolero with no change whatsoever, it is probable that he may already be carrying these parts as inventory in which case he can order only the parts that he wants. The decision is entirely his.

Finally, let me make it very clear that we have indicated to all concerned that AC kit as per SOP and the set of 30 parts only must be fitted. If somebody is doing something else, we do not endorse the same.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 5th June 2011 at 20:43.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 00:19   #66
BHPian

80 k for this kind of Ac fitting without even going thru SOP. Total rip off. I wonder how an innocent customer can even protest?

Another Dealer ac fitting gone horribly wrong.
Old 6th June 2011, 02:44   #67
nnn
BHPian

Quote:

Finally, let me make it very clear that we have indicated to all concerned that AC kit as per SOP and the set of 30 parts only must be fitted. If somebody is doing something else, we do not endorse the same.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Mr. Dhabhar,

We all agree that the dealer is the interface.

However, as revealed from this and other threads the dealer has not been following the SOP. They have been using their own installations and those have been failing. At least my installation works.

The vehicle is a great vehicle, let the dealer not let the product down. The dealer will never be able to satisfy the knowledgeable owner.

The A/C is not the only modification a car buff will want to do on the Thar. After all that is what this car is about. We guess we will have to be in contact with the M&M team on this forum for advice. And to be fair I can see that the M&M team has been great as advisors.

I find it more engaging, pure and joyous to drive than my Toyota Landcruiser D4D. Obviously not as comfortable. But that is not what the Thar is about.

Enjoy the Thar guys.
nnn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 09:04   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Spitfire
Why not make publish the SOP in public domain so that the customer knows when the dealer is deviating?
Old 6th June 2011, 09:23   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Why not make publish the SOP in public domain so that the customer knows when the dealer is deviating?
Dear gotzuk - please refer my post no 1 on page no 1 of this thread. What I have mentioned is nothing but the SOP in its abridged / concise form. It very clearly mentions that the condenser has two fans. You also have a photograph for reference. I feel that this is more than sufficient for any customer to audit whether the dealer is on track or not. As I have mentioned in my previous replies also, the SOP document itself cannot be shared on an open forum in totality. I am unable to upload the excel file giving the part number / description / quantity of each of the 30 parts comprising the kit.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 6th June 2011, 09:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear gotzuk - please refer my post no 1 on page no 1 of this thread. What I have mentioned is nothing but the SOP in its abridged / concise form. It very clearly mentions that the condenser has two fans. You also have a photograph for reference. I feel that this is more than sufficient for any customer to audit whether the dealer is on track or not.
Behram Dhabhar
Dear BD,

This is only sufficient for people who read through this thread. I feel you should hand over this concise SOP document, along with some photographs and also the list of part numbers required to every customer who buys the Thar CRDe so that they know what needs to be done and the dealer cannot take them for a ride knowingly or unknowingly. It should also be sent to all those who have already bought the Thar. This should go along with the owner's manual and explained to the customer.

The customers who have no knowledge of this, will simply believe that whatever the dealer is doing, is the right thing. I am sure there will be Thar owners who may not be technically knowledgeable to understand the merits and demerits of the dealer installation.

Best Regards,
-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 6th June 2011 at 09:52.
pjbiju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 09:52   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
The above post is only a brief. The original SOP for AC installation prepared by me is a 22 page document which will obviously not be disclosed here
Quote:
Dear gotzuk - please refer my post no 1 on page no 1 of this thread. What I have mentioned is nothing but the SOP in its abridged / concise form..........As I have mentioned in my previous replies also, the SOP document itself cannot be shared on an open forum in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,
I have had detailed factory service manuals for all the cars I have owned.
What reason forces Mahindra to mark an air conditioning installation SOP/Manual as "Classified"??
Old 6th June 2011, 09:57   #72
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
concise SOP document, along with some photographs and also the list of part numbers required to every customer who buys the Thar CRDe so that they know what needs to be done and the dealer cannot take them for a ride knowingly or unknowingly. It should also be sent to all those who have already bought the Thar. This should go along with the owner's manual and explained to the customer.
Wish this should have been done but fear won't be possible for a such a jugaad about which the Company itself doesn't seem confident.

Ideally by now a neat Company installation should have made way but guess the half-hearted project Thar has been abandoned.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:28   #73
Senior - BHPian

Though M&M claim that Thar is "AC Ready", their interpretation and mine some how do not match. When you say "AC Ready", it conjures images of say my M800. When I wanted an AC installed, the installer did the following

1. Bolted the compressor on to the bracket present.
2. Bolted the Condenser in space provided.
3. Bolted the inside heat exchanger to the blower housing
4. Connected all the pipes and accessories.
5. As it was a carburetor engine, bolted and connected the idling relay.

At no stage did he have to cut/shift any existing pieces. The whole process took 3 hours. I had a heater already installed, so after AC I had both "hot" and "cold" facilities!

That is what I call AC ready. I wish M&M would work a bit more on the Thar to make it really AC ready. Another thing is that for M800 you could get the Ac fitted either in the factory, or at MASS or at Subros (the OE), with full warranty. The only difference was that factory fitted AC cars had an insulation layer between the roof and the fabric cover, which was absent in the other installations.

After going through this thread, my observations are

1. M&M made provision for the AC post facto (as their initial target audience - Europe had no need for it), that is as a hind sight. That is why they are not fitting the AC in the factory.
2. If the AC had been incorporated at the design stage then
- Location of the condenser would be provisioned, for it to be bolted on.
- The blower fan would have provision for attaching the heat exchanger, without disturbing the heater.
- Space for piping and "bottle" would be there.
- Intercooler would not have to be disturbed.
What I cannot understand is that they have the AC/Heater in Bolero and Scorpio, why forget it in the Thar?

Last edited by Aroy : 6th June 2011 at 10:40.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 10:45   #74
Senior - BHPian

this is a little off topic. (but still)

Quote:
As 19 parts and 4 fasteners are common with Scorpio / Bolero with no change whatsoever, it is probable that he may already be carrying these parts as inventory in which case he can order only the parts that he wants. The decision is entirely his.
this decision taking right of MASS has costed me a lot of mental pain. (ask MR SUBRATA BHATTACHARYA Customer Care - Pune)

90% M.A.S.S. will use this as their advantage not for the customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
What reason forces Mahindra to mark an air conditioning installation SOP/Manual as "Classified"??
because mahindra dosent believe in customer satisfaction.

most of the customers are given out dated manuals. (or manuals are not updated according to vehicle changes)
i have suffered in such case.

& now you cant even buy the OE parts in showrooms any more.

if you want, then make a job card & pay the price + its labour then you can take the OE part out side M.A.S.S. to your preferred garage.

BTW my family still owns.
  • 1993 mm 750 dp (bought new)
  • 1999 mm voyager (dual ac) (bought in 2004)
  • 1998~9 armada 4x4 (bought in 2011)
  • 2008 bolero slx (bought new)
so i have plenty of experience of road side garage & M.A.S.S.

rgds,
Nikhil

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...-your-bmw.html

Last edited by jeepster : 6th June 2011 at 10:49.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:25   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
- this decision taking right of MASS has costed me a lot of mental pain. (ask MR SUBRATA BHATTACHARYA Customer Care - Pune). 90% M.A.S.S. will use this as their advantage not for the customers. Because mahindra dosent believe in customer satisfaction. I have plenty of experience of road side garage & M.A.S.S. rgds, Nikhil
Dear Nikhil / Jeepster - personally, I will totally agree to your first statement but there is a difference between "Individual" and "Enterprise". M&M is a huge organization which has to abide by its laid down "Systems and Processes". This method of action is for everybody's benefit. You understand?

However, I totally disagree to your second statement. All our systems and processes revolve around the single most important entity for us, which is you as the customer. If this was not true, I would not be on this forum.

Dear all - after reading the last paragraph, please don't go off on a tangent once again, if you do, you will only hammer me one more time for nothing. I am on this forum because, apart from getting an opportunity to interact with all of you, I also love off roading, which is why I made this vehicle in the first place. There is nothing which prohibits me from being an avid off roader. As far as AC is concerned, I am just trying to help you and provide clarity. Can somebody please tell me how to upload an excel sheet?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 6th June 2011 at 11:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks