Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 07:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

Thanks. Guess I learnt something today !
I wonder if all dealers and garages have this device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
I remember reading up on this a few years ago. Many a times tension is expressed as the frequency (in Hz) at which a section of belt will vibrate at when plucked like a guitar string. The more tension a belt has, the higher the frequencyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Attaching a sketch of how this is done, would make things more clear.
Spike
Old 26th April 2011, 08:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yes, it is a standard equipment and is highly recommended for such kind of jobs, quite easy to use too!

Spike
Old 1st May 2011, 11:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

If you live in North India, then the heater is an accessory worth having. Apart from heating the vehicle when it is 6 degrees or lower, the heater helps demist the wind shield. So if you are selling cars in India, then AC + Heater is required at least in the North. As most of the cars sold today come with AC+Heater, it should be a standard option in Thar. Even my M800 bought in 1990 had a heater.
Old 1st May 2011, 12:10   #19
BHPian

Yesterday I saw one Thar CRDe having the AC unit installed from Scorpio... it had come to refill the gas since it was low. Now does that mean AC can be picked up either from Bolero / Scorpio.. are they same units or different.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:48   #20
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - AC INSTALLATION IN THAR CRDE. I am giving herewith, guideline / preliminary information for dealer equipped AC installation procedure for Thar CRDe.
Sir, I booked my Thar Crde today at India Garage Bangalore. However, they are saying they are not equipped with the knowledge or the equipment for the AC installation. The guided me to approach the Pune workshop. Please guide me how I can get it done.
droolingvoyager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
Sir, I booked my Thar Crde today at India Garage Bangalore. However, they are saying they are not equipped with the knowledge or the equipment for the AC installation. The guided me to approach the Pune workshop. Please guide me how I can get it done.
Congratulations!!. Was it at the showroom on the Palace Road or at the St. Mark's Road.

I passed on the opportunity to take the delivery of the Thar by 5-May - only because of the AC confusion. I hope M&M get this sorted out soon. On the St.Mark's road - they had no clue about the AC.

By the way just curious - when have they promised a delivery. On my booking receipt it says 5 months. Though Black and Red, I am told are readily available.
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:44   #22
vak
BHPian

I have given my Bolero Di 4wd for fitment of a/c at TVS motors, Cochin.
At TVS I saw two Thars being fitted with a/c. The service people at TVS have good knowledge of what they were doing. They are really good at these works.

One of the problem I have seen in the fitment a/c in Thar, is that the intercooler has to be relocated to the front of the grill and a new encolsure is made for the protection of the intercooler. This is because there is not enough space for the placement of a/c condensor coil and intercooler in front of the radiator. Moreover the ECU has not been programmed for the fitment of a/c. So the ECU is bye-passed and as there is no wiring kit available as of now, wiring has to be done through the crude way of cutting and soldering.

I will try to get some pictures next time.

Regards,

Vinshad Aziz
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Congratulations!!. Was it at the showroom on the Palace Road or at the St. Mark's Road.

I passed on the opportunity to take the delivery of the Thar by 5-May - only because of the AC confusion. I hope M&M get this sorted out soon. On the St.Mark's road - they had no clue about the AC.

By the way just curious - when have they promised a delivery. On my booking receipt it says 5 months. Though Black and Red, I am told are readily available.
I was at st. Mark Road, India Garage. My wifey is not so convinced yet, hence I am taking a long drive (TD) tomorrow, finger closed.

The guys there are completely oblivious to AC fitment. They have passed me Uday Shankars no. who is there service works manager. I called him. He said he will give me a phone no. of an outside person who is an expert to do this. I am waiting for the phone no. from his side.

Since I am also planning on a long trip on My Thar, I have given a deadline of 15th may for delivery, which they have accepted. Infact I have been passed my chasis no. and engine no. However, My color is red.
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
One of the problem I have seen in the fitment a/c in Thar, is that the intercooler has to be relocated to the front of the grill and a new encolsure is made for the protection of the intercooler. This is because there is not enough space for the placement of a/c condensor coil and intercooler in front of the radiator. Moreover the ECU has not been programmed for the fitment of a/c. So the ECU is bye-passed and as there is no wiring kit available as of now, wiring has to be done through the crude way of cutting and soldering.

Thanks for sharing this update Vinshad.
I was reading this other thread, in case others haven't noticed it. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...s-persist.html
Quite scary to be honest.
Old 4th May 2011, 22:03   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Answer to query - WHY ONLY AC? - ref your query above, there is nothing in this world which cannot be done on one vehicle. My decision is to go in for AC alone is from production / cost effectiveness / simplicity points of view. India is either hot or hotter
Quote:
I hope people understand that you don't have to necessarily pay for something that most of you shall never use.
Sir

I understand you are working for M & M - unfortunately i differ with your views completely , Manufacturers have been taking customers for a ride for a while - I remember how Maruti & other Manufacturers removed a simple life saving part - Seat Belts for saving few bucks as most of the people were not using them and just for small % of people who want to use -companies did not want to BURDEN them..

A heater is such a basic necessity and should not cost more than couple of hundreds and still you think its not worth it , the problem is you have made an Aspirational product but missed the feelings of the person who is going to buy it - your product is defined more by accountants and at the end of day you are neither here ( the niche segment ) that will pay you few thousand or even a lac here or there nor will you able to save on costs and sell in mass market .

It would have been much better if you would have come out with a product which may have cost a bit more but should have addressed Target Audience and not concentrated on saving on costs on small things - does your export version is with only Heating or only Cooling options ? When you show the car in Auto Shows or TV - those are with all frills - and when we go to Showroom everything is missing . Time to have some people in your company who have passion for Cars not just for saving costs ..
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 08:20   #26
BHPian

I, for one, have never used the heater in my car and where I live it is almost never required. However, I use the AC all through the year.

Even if I go to places which can get quite chilly in the mornings and late evenings (e.g. Munnar, Coorg, Ooty), I have never used the heater. A pullover/sweater always did the trick. Since you would wear one anyway to step outside.

I was in Delhi this past Dec/Jan and I found quite a few on my team wanted the heater on - in the Innova that we used to commute - again it was for a few minutes and then it would get too hot - at least for me. For myself alone, I wouldn't have used it. My fleece pullover was enough to keep me warm.

Well - the heater is already available - right now- on the stock Thar. One has to do nothing at all. It is the AC that is required - again - I speak for myself. If it comes to choose - heater and AC or Only AC - I would choose only AC as "Thanda Hava" as spike puts it, is my primary requirement.

Please roll out the AC soon.
Old 5th May 2011, 11:00   #27
BHPian

My Bolero VLX CRDE comes with the heater and ac. Both were tested in the North, the heater was excellent according to me and I realised that I could drive around in a t-shirt (peak winter). The ac has done pretty well in the afternoon peak heat of 42 degree heat. Dunno why they can't thump into the Thar and be done with it.
Why the endless talk and discussion when you could just train the dealerships to fit it?
Koncept at Noida is offering the service now.

Last edited by chaunfa : 5th May 2011 at 11:03. Reason: Message wasn't clear enough.
chaunfa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 16:25   #28
BHPian

So I finally canceled my booking today, and excepting to get back my booking amout now. The AC thing was sticking out again and again, while I kept on asking for workshop fitment, they kept referring of outside person (expert) in there language.

Also the fit and finish is not up there yet. My dreams of possessing a Thar have been flushed out by the poor interior and AC delima.
Old 6th May 2011, 19:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
So I finally canceled my booking today
Oh! this is sad!. Anyway I hope you find the car that you are looking for that suits you.

Or maybe you will book again when the AC is available. The procedure is already there and Mr. Dabhar has already mentioned that the kit will be made available soon. I am sure it is a matter of few more weeks when the AC fitment with the kit will be available at the dealers.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:03   #30
Team-BHP Support

Somebody has gotten Thar AC done in Delhi, and the AC and heater are both working. So its indeed possible to have Thar AC + heater!
I will try to get more details and post here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks