Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 21:38   #136
AWD
BHPian

Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Thar - The orphan?
Ditto concern! Has the complete set of team that worked on Thar parted ways with Mahindra?

Something sure smells fishy...!
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 10:29   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Thar - The orphan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Has the complete set of team that worked on Thar parted ways with Mahindra?

Something sure smells fishy...!
AFAIK only two people moved on.

DHABHAR.BEHRAM & SPIKE ARRESTOR.

other team is still working for new Mahindra products.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...moves-m-m.html
Old 19th July 2011, 11:28   #138
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
AFAIK only two people moved on.
We only know so much because the two people you are talking about were on the Board. About others we can only guess!
Old 25th July 2011, 18:21   #139
BHPian

Last Saturday 07/23, i was at the India Garage St.Marks Road to enquire about the Thar and i was casually questioning the sales guys if there was any news about the SOP installation of the A/c for the Thar, but in return got the answer that it would be sorted out in about a months time frame and no solid confirmation on it.

I'm planning to book one for myself, but will need the A/C for sure.

Please let me know if any of you have any updates on the SOP installation of the A/C from any of the dealers in bangalore.
Old 26th July 2011, 00:33   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
Last Saturday 07/23, i was at the India Garage St.Marks Road to enquire about the Thar and i was casually questioning the sales guys if there was any news about the SOP installation of the A/c for the Thar, but in return got the answer that it would be sorted out in about a months time frame and no solid confirmation on it.

I'm planning to book one for myself, but will need the A/C for sure.

Please let me know if any of you have any updates on the SOP installation of the A/C from any of the dealers in bangalore.
Hi Raghu,

I have been running around at various levels in mahindra to get a/c done. it is getting close to 8000 kms and about 6 months. nothing concrete in place yet. Though some dealerships have the kits but not all the parts.

I would suggest you to wait until things are concrete and working. IMHO this vehicle is definitely not a/c ready as claimed. The installation seems very close but they have lost my trust as dates promised have been broken so many times.

Mechanically, this is an awesome vehicle. If A/C gets ready, just go for it.
Old 26th July 2011, 23:03   #141
nnn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Hi Raghu,

I have been running around at various levels in mahindra to get a/c done. it is getting close to 8000 kms and about 6 months. nothing concrete in place yet.
Quick Refrigeration in Delhi have done 5 Thar's. They use a Scorpio Compressor. For the first few they were mounting the Condensor below the chassis with a cooling fan. That could have been a problem if the vehicle bottomed.

Recently they have started mounting the Condensor in front of the Grill lowering the Condensor between the chassis till just 1/2 an inch above the Torsion Bar. They mount a fan in front of the condensor to cool the airconditioning system. The condensor is well protected this way.

Most of the grill is thus not obstructed and has full air flow for the Radiator.

This system works well. I believe that the system will be better than the Mahindra SOP fitting with its two fans, but that is still a restriction of the air to the radiator.

nnn
Old 17th August 2011, 09:49   #142
nnn
BHPian

Hello,

Quick refrigeration in Delhi have improved further. They now fit a cooling coil in the original fan assembly along with the heater.

The cost is 32 ,000 for the full kit including fitting.

Call them on +919818301456. They are helpful and may also supply a kit and fitting advice if your aftermarket A/C fitter calls them.

Takes about two days to install.

nnn
nnn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 17:10   #143
BHPian

this is good news - last i checked with my mahindra dealer - they told me that they can fit the A/C but it costs 80K approx.

Way expensive - but warranty stays. I dont know what will happen to the warranty if a/c fitment is done by a third party.
Old 17th August 2011, 18:10   #144
BHPian

Hi,

I got my A/C fitted through the dealer...70 K was the total cost with heater and a 1 year warranty.Yes it is twice the price but what you get is

1.A new grill which provides for the right height between the intercooler and the fans

2.Peace of mind for 1 year

3.0 drop in speed or any heating issues

Risks of getting it fitted outside

1.The obvious warranty

2. Any performance issue (engine,over-heating,wiring,noise,water consumption and the likes) can be conviniently attributed to the third party A/C by the dealer.

3.Peace of mind

I would advice external fitment only after completion of 1 year i.e post your warranty period.

Regards,

Vijay
Old 17th August 2011, 18:41   #145
BHPian

@ Vj K2001 please post some pictures of the AC installed . This will help . Congrats i think your the first one to get it installed through a MM dealer .which dealer is it ?

How many Kms have you done after AC installation ? How is it during long runs ? Is the AC effective ?
Old 17th August 2011, 19:03   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vijay - good comments in your post above. So, finally the whole thing was worth it. Thanks. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 17th August 2011 at 19:03. Reason: add info
Old 17th August 2011, 19:23   #147
BHPian

Behram Sir...Its only after the A/C is installed does one really appreciate this vehicle.There is absolutely zero and I mean zero drop in pickup above 1500 RPM.The noise levels (already low) drops to almost nil and my TATA Safari now makes more noise than the Thar Hope you got that one.

Fortuner I have followed Mr. Behrams SOP almost to the last T (barring the heater installation).Mr. Behram was kind enough to speak to the electrician at the dealers end and he completed the job in 1.5 days.

I have driven 500 kms only post the A/C installation and have so far ZERO issues in performance.Infact the vehicle has got more quiet, and the dust in my vehicle is minimal. Even with the soft top and mid-day sun speed of 2 is all that is required.On a cloudy day 1 does the job very well.

I have installed front facing seats in my vehicle and with the soft top the passengers still feel the cooling.

Yes there is one little bit you need to do to get this effect.Please insert a layer of thermacool between the soft top and the centre beam as the beam gets really heated and that passes on into the vehicle.

With a good fibre top the Thar will be a true Go where you want fast and in comfort.

Performance - With the A/C I can still manage speeds of 120 with some paly left on the Gas.I am not the speedy type so 90-100 is my comfort zone.

The best part is I no longer go to work with a wet back,I enjoy my music better and my blue tooth car kit can finally do its job.

Regards,

Vijay
Old 18th August 2011, 11:22   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
Behram Sir...Its only after the A/C is installed does one really appreciate this vehicle.There is absolutely zero and I mean zero drop in pickup above 1500 RPM.The noise levels (already low) drops to almost nil and my TATA Safari now makes more noise than the Thar Hope you got that one.

Fortuner I have followed Mr. Behrams SOP almost to the last T (barring the heater installation).Mr. Behram was kind enough to speak to the electrician at the dealers end and he completed the job in 1.5 days.

I have driven 500 kms only post the A/C installation and have so far ZERO issues in performance.Infact the vehicle has got more quiet, and the dust in my vehicle is minimal. Even with the soft top and mid-day sun speed of 2 is all that is required.On a cloudy day 1 does the job very well.

I have installed front facing seats in my vehicle and with the soft top the passengers still feel the cooling.

Yes there is one little bit you need to do to get this effect.Please insert a layer of thermacool between the soft top and the centre beam as the beam gets really heated and that passes on into the vehicle.

With a good fibre top the Thar will be a true Go where you want fast and in comfort.

Performance - With the A/C I can still manage speeds of 120 with some paly left on the Gas.I am not the speedy type so 90-100 is my comfort zone.

The best part is I no longer go to work with a wet back,I enjoy my music better and my blue tooth car kit can finally do its job.

Regards,

Vijay
Dear Vijay - thanks for your comments. This finally and once again indicates that what I have done actually works. I hope good sense will prevail and other customers will also do the AC installation as per SOP, which is the only correct way. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 18th August 2011, 11:59   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
Am sure many are in the waiting for it to happen OE is preferred than otherwise.

What I am unable to understand is WHEN is this going to happen? Will it happen at all?

A locable cabin with AC / PS should be the minimum requirement!! The Bells and whistle could be a MID, ABS, EBD, TC and CC
Old 18th August 2011, 12:24   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Am sure many are in the waiting for it to happen OE is preferred than otherwise.

What I am unable to understand is WHEN is this going to happen? Will it happen at all?
Yes, why not?

Quote:
A locable cabin with AC / PS should be the minimum requirement!! The Bells and whistle could be a MID, ABS, EBD, TC and CC
I am told- "all this is also in the pipeline", which pipeline is still being figured out.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed