Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2011, 10:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Land Rover Defender 300 Tdi- a transformation story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Hi AB

Indeed a wonderful job, I haven't seen many of these on roads but the roof rack somehow does not suite maybe in old times it was a novelty but you will find this similar to Maxi cab designs - did you checked how it looked without this or maybe a smaller one - its looking quite Top Heavy , regarding Font Crash Guard you can get the manufactured at reasonable costs by mixing designs ..
Turbanator,
Firstly, thanks for your views.

Before I comment on your thoughts, I would like you to reconsider why vehicles are built the way they are in the first place- to satisfy people taste, their utilization, market dynamics etc. This one is not a showpiece vehicle to drive around on smooth city roads, it is a cross geographical expedition vehicle, where people use roof top racks for setting up roof top tents, carrying luggage which can't fit inside the vehicle, even place for extra equipment like tyres, water storage, jerry cans etc. The space on top, is actually sufficient to allow a couple of people to comfortably sleep on to, or sturdy enough to stand up & look around, if you are in a tough terrain. It has nothing in common with "Maxi Cabs"... and perhaps your observation is emerging from the fact, like you said, that you haven't seen these around.

I would suggest you google this vehicle a bit to know its history & see some of the utilization that this vehicle serves, or even the links that I provided. 'You tube' too has a very interesting bunch of videos on it. I am sure you will find answers to your points...

And yes, I did consider getting a front guard made, still searching for a good enough design which works around the restrictions I wrote about earlier. Let me know if you have any recommendations...

Hope it explains your point... thanks again for sharing your thought.

Cheers,
AB
Old 8th May 2011, 11:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

Superb job done! Like the colour scheme a lot. As I see you're in Bangalore, so may I request you for a display in proper environment? My request is because you said..
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
When you see the vehicle face to face, you will see that they are really heavily built- mayn't look too macho- but have the mettle.
.. And I like to take photographs of cars with characters.

Let me know any which way.
Old 8th May 2011, 11:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turbanator,
Firstly, thanks for your views.

Before I comment on your thoughts, I would like you to reconsider why vehicles are built the way they are in the first place- to satisfy people taste, their utilization, market dynamics etc. This one is not a showpiece vehicle to drive around on smooth city roads, it is a cross geographical expedition vehicle, where people use roof top racks for setting up roof top tents, carrying luggage which can't fit inside the vehicle, even place for extra equipment like tyres, water storage, jerry cans etc. The space on top, is actually sufficient to allow a couple of people to comfortably sleep on to, or sturdy enough to stand up & look around, if you are in a tough terrain. It has nothing in common with "Maxi Cabs"... and perhaps your observation is emerging from the fact, like you said, that you haven't seen these around.
+1 to that.

Defenders are not much known for their creature comforts but will go where most other vehicles will not go. And go it will with aplomb!

And does the cost of the project as mentioned by you include the vehicle procurement cost as well? This has germinated the seed in my mind and may be once the load for my existing Getaway ends in 5 years, will get one of this.

Cheers
AB (Yes we do share the same initials )

P.S: As regards to the turning radius quoted by you, are you sure its not the diameter ? That makes it ~12.5M . My getaway with similar dimensions has a 6.2M turning radius.
Old 8th May 2011, 12:21   #19
BHPian

Hi AB, you are right- it is turning circle- kerb to kerb. Thanks for pointing that out.

The cost quoted is including the initial vehicle cost... so, yes- it does make sense to go this route for what you get as value for money.

Take care,
AB
Old 8th May 2011, 12:31   #20
AVR
BHPian

Hi Abhishek,

It feels great to see that someone has gone through an immense amount of effort to rebuild the Defender. Having had a SIII 109 in the family earlier, I remember how long roadtrips with pretty much 'everyone' in the back were possible and fun! I hope that you also use this to its full capability and capacity.

Would love to see it in person someday. Over time do keep updating this thread with the travel and offroading that you would possibly do.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 8th May 2011, 12:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Superb job done! Like the colour scheme a lot. As I see you're in Bangalore, so may I request you for a display in proper environment? My request is because you said..
.. And I like to take photographs of cars with characters.

Let me know any which way.
Totally, Rudra. Feel free to come & see the vehicle any of the weekends. I am located at Bannerghatta Road, south of BLR. Next weekend, I am going to be in Goa, so maybe one of the subsequent weekends? We will take the chappie for a spin on rough roads at Kanakpura, if it works?

For now, post the initial testings, the vehicle is back in garage, to work on a peculiar problem which I noticed. When I go on an upward facing steep slope, the engine dies on me. When it comes back to normal angles, post a little while, it starts again. We were trying to figure out if diesel stopped going into the engine at that angle & if there was something wrong with the fuel pump. Yesterday, tried an additional fuel pump- but that didn't solve the problem as observed in the subsequent test.

Now trying to figure out what else could be causing it. If anyone has any ideas, will be happy to listen.

Next steps also include putting some creature comforts in it- an airconditioning kit, as well as music system. Need reverse camera too, to manage reversing the monster.

And then there are small nic-nacs which run into dozens. Like I'd said earlier, the project will finish when your imagination (or money in your pocket) runs out.

But all pending work withstanding, it behaves superbly when you get to drive it. Last weekend, we took it on the highway, and to my surprise, it easily hit 120km/hr, which I didn't expect it to. When taken off road, it handled with elan, having a great ground clearance & presence. Of course, you need to be careful as it is a tall vehicle, so the fear of toppling over in precarious angles always looms large in your head. Could be my imagination, as I normally drive a Honda Civic, which sits close to the ground... so it may very well be just the change in driving experience.

Anyways- will share more experiences as I try it more.

For now, will look forward to help on the angle problem!

Cheers,
AB

(PS- please pardon me for using two separate quotes for two messages, I have now learnt how to use multi quote- will do it from next time).
Old 8th May 2011, 12:48   #22
BHPian

Hi AB, congrats on a fantastic restoration . Could you pls share some info on Pro Comp 9 inch HID lamps . where did you source them / cost / and bulb wattage . Have been searching something similar for my scorpio.
Old 8th May 2011, 12:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Hi AB
I haven't seen many of these on roads but the roof rack somehow does not suite maybe in old times it was a novelty but you will find this similar to Maxi cab designs - did you checked how it looked without this or maybe a smaller one - its looking quite Top Heavy ..
This roof rack is original equipment for a blue collar vehicle built for trekking and excursions in places where you won't find 5 star hotels. But maybe lots of stars. I think the rack is one of the strong points of the vehicle. If I were going to design a vehicle to do deep trekking it would have a rack at least this substantial. There are still places in this world you can go where what you have is what you haul and you can't just mosey down to the local convenience store to pick up a pack of chewing gum.

abhishek d zulu,

I doff my cap to thee. Nice effort. You now have a vehicle that will be your friend for a long, long time.

Please tell us more about what you did to restore the engine, drive train and mechanics, at least, in general.
Old 8th May 2011, 13:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Hi AB, congrats on a fantastic restoration . Could you pls share some info on Pro Comp 9 inch HID lamps . where did you source them / cost / and bulb wattage . Have been searching something similar for my scorpio.
Had them picked up in the US. I haven't come across anything half as good in India- though I did search for what Hella, KC etc.

Have attached a link for a quick read on them.

Pro Comp 9 Round HID Light [9900]

Though the price quoted here is $499 per light, I could find them for $750 for the pair. Plus, shipping to India (in a large box for safety) & Custom duty basis what they deem right (ideally around 25-30% if the product is new).

Have been collecting parts for more than a year- so all of these went up in the last month, once the finishing started to happen on vehicle.

Let me know if you need any more details...

Cheers,
AB
Old 9th May 2011, 16:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Fip

Quote:
For now, post the initial testings, the vehicle is back in garage, to work on a peculiar problem which I noticed. When I go on an upward facing steep slope, the engine dies on me. When it comes back to normal angles, post a little while, it starts again. We were trying to figure out if diesel stopped going into the engine at that angle & if there was something wrong with the fuel pump. Yesterday, tried an additional fuel pump- but that didn't solve the problem as observed in the subsequent test.
Hi Abhishek,

Congratulations on your Land Rover, looks smashing.

Doe the FIP have a Solenoid Switch to release the fuel supply to the FIP?

I have seen a similar problem in a M&M Classic, in TPC2010.
UBS, identified the problem to a loose wiring to the pump switch, on incline the wire would loosen, partially closing the switch.

I hope their was sufficient fuel in the Tank

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 9th May 2011 at 16:12.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:29   #26
BANNED

Oh man!!! Envy Envy!!

I dream of this thing each day man.

BRILLIANT. Can you tell us where you procured the vehicle from? I am on the look out for a Defender 90 for a very long time.

I did send out a emotional letter to whoever could listen in TATA to get us the Defender here. But nothing yet has happened.

A marvelous job.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

@abhishek_d_zulu: This is one superbly restored specimen - I spent lot of time ogling at your beauty. I have seen her in the original state and post restoration and the transformation is awesome.

What i most liked about the job is your attention to detail and all the original parts used - the vehicle do have marks of being restored by some one who really knows and loves what he does

Quote:
I am, of course, duly proud- because I managed to keep the promise I made to myself many years back- ...

for the sheer joy of creation & not for commercial reasons!

When I saw the through restoration, I was almost certain that the owner might be a member of Team-BHP or JeepThrills, and almost thought I would knock on the door and bug you with questions but then decided against it.

I saw her near the Ayyappa temple - is that where you stay, or was it a temporary stop? Would love to see her more.

PS: Personally, I would have kept the spare wheel on the bonnet - I see that the bonnet have provision to fit that, do you plan to put a spare wheel on the bonnet in future?

Last edited by theexperthand : 9th May 2011 at 17:05.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

abhishek,
Amazing passion there. Wonderful restoration.

Thank you for the details too. It is a great ride for sure. Proves yet again that 'where there is a will, there is a way'.
Old 9th May 2011, 18:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
PS: Personally, I would have kept the spare wheel on the bonnet - I see that the bonnet have provision to fit that, do you plan to put a spare wheel on the bonnet in future?
Actually there is provisionfor 2 spare wheels in almost all Defenders considering the terrain that they ply on. One on the bonnet and one of the rear door. I'm sure they will give the vehicle some character!
Old 10th May 2011, 00:45   #30
BHPian

Abhishek,
AMAZING outcome. I salute your tenacity and patience in getting the lady (YES-Lady) back to her amazing glory.
Just awesome.
regards
salil

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks