Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 20:46   #1
BHPian

Alternatives to Ford Explorer in Dubai? EDIT: Bought VW Touareg. PICS on Pg. 2

Hi all,

My dad is looking to replace his Ford Explorer and plans to buy a new Explorer - Eddie Bauer Edition...I am trying to convince him to buy something else - any suggestions? He is looking only at an SUV.

He lives in Dubai and is looking for something at the same price - about AUD140,000.

He wants to buy it in the next couple of days. Your urgent help please...

Thanks,
Manas
Old 7th May 2011, 21:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Alternatives to Ford Explorer in Dubai? EDIT: Bought VW Touareg. PICS on Pg. 2

Hi

Dubai & Land Cruisers aren't these synonyms for SUV buyers ?
Old 8th May 2011, 05:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Alternatives to Ford Explorer in Dubai? EDIT: Bought VW Touareg. PICS on Pg. 2

If it is extremely URGENT, it maybe better going for the Ford Explorer itself. I would personally pick a Prado or Montero over the Explorer, but then you have have to wait a few days to test drive and try out other models. So, I guess it depends on how URGENT it is.
Old 8th May 2011, 07:55   #4
BHPian

The ideal vehicle would have been a Prado..The regular LC is much more expensive than the Explorer.

"There are no more Prados available in Dubai for the next 4 months" - thats what the dealer says..."will have to wait for the Japanese recovery from the earthquake for more Prados".

The only 2 requirements for the vehicle are that is should be a 4x4 and be a 7 seater.

Will ask my dad to check out the Monetro - have also asked him to check out the Wrangler Unlimited but he was not impressed!

He needs to pick up the car in the next couple of days since his old Explorer has now crossed 200K and is falling apart. Been in the garage now 4 times in April.

Thanks all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If it is extremely URGENT, it maybe better going for the Ford Explorer itself. I would personally pick a Prado or Montero over the Explorer, but then you have have to wait a few days to test drive and try out other models. So, I guess it depends on how URGENT it is.

Last edited by manasm : 8th May 2011 at 07:58.
Old 8th May 2011, 09:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Nissan Pathfinder is also a very good option. It seats 7 in reasonable comfort and is very spacious inside.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Coincidentally I'm also evaluating couple of vehicles in this part of the world, here are some SUVs which attracted me. Not sure if this models are available in Dubai

1. Toyota 4Runner
2. Nissan Pathfinder
3. Nissan Xterra
4. Mitsubishi Endeavor
5. Jeep Grand Cherokee / Compass
Old 8th May 2011, 12:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Toyota. Quality and service. End of story.
Old 8th May 2011, 14:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
......................He needs to pick up the car in the next couple of days since his old Explorer has now crossed 200K and is falling apart. Been in the garage now 4 times in April.
That says it all,falling apart after 2lac km.
Better look for either the Toyota or Nissan SUVs.As you said that the Prado is not available immediately ,why not look for the Pathfinder as @4X4addict recommended.
If you looking for pure offroading don't know about the new Explorer.It's not a pure SUV like the previous gen Explorer.It's more like a crossover based on a revised platform of the Ford Taurus
Old 8th May 2011, 15:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

In that case how about moving to Range rover / discovery maybe bit more expensive but will definitely have more stature than japanese ,
Old 8th May 2011, 18:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
In that case how about moving to Range rover / discovery maybe bit more expensive but will definitely have more stature than japanese ,
I don't think this is true, LandRover discovery is a good offroader but carries bad reviews here in USA. Many of the owners say the most troublesome to own and more and more people say it takes a lot for maintenance. If you look at the used car market you will find LR Discos are selling around $6000-$10000 where the Toyota and Nissan are selling over $15000 for models produced after 2004.
Old 8th May 2011, 19:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I don't think this is true, LandRover discovery is a good offroader but carries bad reviews here in USA. Many of the owners say the most troublesome to own and more and more people say it takes a lot for maintenance. If you look at the used car market you will find LR Discos are selling around $6000-$10000 where the Toyota and Nissan are selling over $15000 for models produced after 2004.

Whatever the Blightie's say, Landrovers are unreliable by a fair margin,and if you want a reliable SUV or 4X4, nothing other than Japanese.
Old 8th May 2011, 21:13   #12
BHPian

Thanks all for your inputs....my first preference would have been a Range Rover...but not to be!

Decided on a VW Tuareg finally. Picking it up day after tomorrow morning!

If people are interested, will ask him to take photos and try to get a write up about the car...Let me know.

Cheers,
Manas

Last edited by manasm : 8th May 2011 at 21:14.
Old 8th May 2011, 22:31   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@manasm- at last your dad have bought the straight opposite of our suggestions. A german SUV, prepare for high maintenance bills and unreliability.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:37   #14
BHPian

^^ Tried telling him that, but he drove the vehicle and just decided it was too nice for him to not buy - even threw away the idea that he wanted a 7 seater!
Old 9th May 2011, 15:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

well congrats anyway on the new purchase by your father.

since he is putting on a lot of mileage and the ownership period is also around 3-5 years, i would suggest that he should have gone for a Toyota or a Nissan.

Currently Al Futtaim and Arabian Automobiles are giving 5 years unlimited KMs warranty on their vehicles.

also Nissan dealer is offering good prices on Pathfinder, Xterra and Armada.

toyota vehicles have vanished from the dealers across the GCC and the LC200 and Prado are the ones which would come in stock in 5 months time.

Most Viewed