Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 07:55   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle

Gogi Bhai,

This is a too neat 550, considering its a 2000 model, looks like you got the best that there was.
Harjeev's sourcing couldn't go wrong...just that it went too right.

Looking forward to the build and seeing it in person at AKC and EXAMM.

Get the oil cooler working.

Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 14:23   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

Get the oil cooler working.

Regards,
Fazal sahib - how does enabling / disabling the oil cooler make a difference?

It was removed from my Jeep too - citing leakage concerns ..
Old 15th June 2011, 14:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Fazal sahib - how does enabling / disabling the oil cooler make a difference?

It was removed from my Jeep too - citing leakage concerns ..
Lugnut,

The primary reason for the oil cooler is to (as the name suggests) cooling the oil which helps brings down the engine temperature.

The air cooled water from the radiator is channeled to the oil cooler and back. The recirculating oil which passes through the air filter shares a common wall with the cooler water, thus cooling itself as it passes through its own channel.

Hope this explains. In more technical terms Spike would be able to do better, but the results would be the same.
Regards,
Old 20th June 2011, 15:55   #79
Senior - BHPian

Gogi praaji, what is your query? Is it on Oil cooler or Roll cage? Also, has anyone on the forum installed Oil cooler on a non Oil cooled XD3P engine? Your Jeep has XDP4.90 right?

Spike
Old 20th June 2011, 16:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Gogi praaji, what is your query? Is it on Oil cooler or Roll cage? Also, has anyone on the forum installed Oil cooler on a non Oil cooled XD3P engine? Your Jeep has XDP4.90 right?

Spike
Actually its about both Spike,

I want to get a workable roll cage design. Dont mind if its on the exterior on the front and in the body on the rear like the pics below

Exterior as in Allan's MM

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-allans-mm-roll-cage2.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-allans-mm-roll-cage3.jpg

Interior Rear as in the Charminar Offroad club MM

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-rear-roll-cage.jpg

I need to know where to brace these bars, i.e. do they go right through and onto the chassis (in which case the chassis will get more rigid) or on the tub itself, sandwiched between plates placed above and below the sheet metal.

Also this looks like a pretty low place to get the Snorkel out, will it be easier from here as shown in the pic below or just a cut to the bonnet?

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-allans-snorkel1.jpg

Secondly i have no clue regarding the engine, you tell me what it is by looking at the pics above and the plate. There is an oil cooler which is disconnected at the moment. I intend to re connect it.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:02   #81
Senior - BHPian

Re: AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)

Praaji, MM550XD came with XD3P engine, later an oil cooler was added AFAIK. So yours is a XD3P which is an IDI engine. Timing is through chain and it develops 15.3 kgm @ 1950 RPM. Max power is 72.5 BHP @ 4000 RPM (without oil cooler), 76 BHP @ 4500 RPM (with oil cooler).

I can see an oil cooler in your engine on top of which the oil filter is mounted, this suggests that your 550 is from the lot just prior to the NGCS 550's. Any idea about the manufacturing year? Or was anything done to the engine after the purchase?

Today, I took some photos (to post in your thread) thinking your 550 does not have an oil cooler. This is a different engine though, have a look:-

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-1.jpg

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-2.jpg

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-3.jpg

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-4.jpg

Spike

Mods- move to V-16's thread if required.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 17:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

Re: AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)

So this is the XDP3 and not the earlier engine you mentioned it was huh? which is better?

I have always wondered why should an oil cooler install make the engine loose precious BHP. Is it the engine or the Oil cooler attachment which is responsible for the loss. So can i stupidly presume that as long as the oil cooler is unattached, the engine is making more power (does not make sense)

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2011 at 11:40.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:16   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Actually its about both Spike,

Exterior as in Allan's MM

Interior Rear as in the Charminar Offroad club MM
Both Interior and Exterior have their pros and cons. An Interior roll cage always gives me an option of a full HT (later), an exterior roll cage on the other hand takes the impact before the body shell takes any. However, I must mention that a roll cage whether Interior or Exterior will cause more harm than good if not present in the correct place. The bar must not intrude into the occupants in case of a mishap.

Quote:
I need to know where to brace these bars, i.e. do they go right through and onto the chassis (in which case the chassis will get more rigid) or on the tub itself, sandwiched between plates placed above and below the sheet metal.
Don't brace it on the chassis, I prefer the body. Let chassis do the handwork.

Quote:
Also this looks like a pretty low place to get the Snorkel out, will it be easier from here as shown in the pic below or just a cut to the bonnet?
I would prefer a cut on the bonnet with the Bolero type air cleaner element.

Quote:
There is an oil cooler which is disconnected at the moment. I intend to re connect it.
Please do so.

Spike
Old 20th June 2011, 17:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So this is the XDP3 and not the earlier engine you mentioned it was huh? which is better?

I have always wondered why should an oil cooler install make the engine loose precious BHP. Is it the engine or the Oil cooler attachment which is responsible for the loss. So can i stupidly presume that as long as the oil cooler is unattached, the engine is making more power (does not make sense)
XD3P always, its a gem, XDP 4.90 on a 550 looses steam after sometime. Earlier, I presumed yours was an older 550 and not the 550XD. Please check my earlier posts, oil cooler is required for the engine running at higher RPM and producing higher power; not otherwise. Oil cooler is added to cool the oil which is subjected to greater thermal loads, viscosity effects etc. Please keep in mind it is the same engine (without oil cooler) which when calibrated to 4500 RPM + Oil cooler develops 76 BHP, so naturally oil control / cooling is required.

Spike
Old 20th June 2011, 17:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

Wondering if i should get the Roll cage fabricated on the lines of the "Icon - The Dog"

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-roll-cage-3.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-roll-cage.1jpg.jpg

Jeeps gone for a pump and nossle job, cleaning, servicing and recalibrating if necessary. Should be a peach to drive when back a little later, this evening.

Jobs left to tackle within the next 10 days - not necessarily in the mentioned order;

1) Suspension and Leaf spring check (after the tyre and rims are installed will check if we need to increase further ground clearance and decide then how to get about it; adding a leaf, re cambering the leaf spring or a shackle lift)
2) Brake and rotor check including probably replacing all wheel bearings and wheel cylinders if necessary
3) All hoses and pipes to be changed to rugged PU and re enforced type.
4) Roll cage and rock slider fabrication and installation
5) Sanding the Military markings away and to paint the bumpers and front grille matt black to get rid of the complete Military look.
6) Black two piece soft top (Bikini Top and separate rolling/sliding rear top)
7) A/c with all insulating and dampening material in the Engine bay, fire wall floor pan etc.
8) Wurth treatment/sticky sheet install-underbody and inside floor pan and inner body shell.
9) Comfortable Seats from another car/suv
10) Electricals and fitting of accessories like flick switches, audio install and lights
11) Rims and Tyres
12) Registration, most important..... my guy was to get back to me with setails, has not...!!
Anything that i might have forgotten to put above, guys, please feel free to add.

Last edited by V-16 : 20th June 2011 at 17:43.
Old 24th June 2011, 18:02   #86
BHPian

Gogi

I have a huge wad of insulation lying with me. We can do your entire interior when you are ready

Ro

Quote:
Wondering if i should get the Roll cage fabricated on the lines of the "Icon - The Dog"

Attachment 563247
Attachment 563248

Jeeps gone for a pump and nossle job, cleaning, servicing and recalibrating if necessary. Should be a peach to drive when back a little later, this evening.

Jobs left to tackle within the next 10 days - not necessarily in the mentioned order;

1) Suspension and Leaf spring check (after the tyre and rims are installed will check if we need to increase further ground clearance and decide then how to get about it; adding a leaf, re cambering the leaf spring or a shackle lift)
2) Brake and rotor check including probably replacing all wheel bearings and wheel cylinders if necessary
3) All hoses and pipes to be changed to rugged PU and re enforced type.
4) Roll cage and rock slider fabrication and installation
5) Sanding the Military markings away and to paint the bumpers and front grille matt black to get rid of the complete Military look.
6) Black two piece soft top (Bikini Top and separate rolling/sliding rear top)
7) A/c with all insulating and dampening material in the Engine bay, fire wall floor pan etc.
8) Wurth treatment/sticky sheet install-underbody and inside floor pan and inner body shell.
9) Comfortable Seats from another car/suv
10) Electricals and fitting of accessories like flick switches, audio install and lights
11) Rims and Tyres
12) Registration, most important..... my guy was to get back to me with setails, has not...!!
Anything that i might have forgotten to put above, guys, please feel free to add.
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 02:30   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Gogi

I have a huge wad of insulation lying with me. We can do your entire interior when you are ready:)

Ro
Im ready Im ready!!

Great Rohit, i was going to get some tomorrow. If you can call me, tomorrow, id love to meet up with you if and when you're free and ill gladly pick up the stuff as well as see your Jeep in person. In any case am down with viral for the last few days and would love to come and get out of the house.
Old 25th June 2011, 05:02   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

The snorkel and breather pipes you forgot to mention.

Get the rhino hooks for front if available and the pintle for back if not already present.

You may need an electric fan with the AC install.

Get brakes serviced and pads replaced if necessary and check wheel bearings.

Check if skid plate is present. If not install that as well.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 09:35   #89
Senior - BHPian

Oops, how could. Forget the snorkel and breather pipes, yes very much on the list.

Hooks and brakes done skid plates and brakes. Done too..

re the fan, I'm sticking to the conventional belt driven fan as an electricfan might not survive water fording
After my experience last year with river crossing, I think electric fan is best avoided unless there is a waterproof option.

Last edited by V-16 : 25th June 2011 at 09:40.
Old 25th June 2011, 15:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Update Time:

The Power Steering unit-will do finishing in the area re paint and anti rust

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-15062011198.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-17062011200.jpg

The clean engine with newly serviced and calibrated pump and nossles

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-24062011213.jpg

Front brakes done, new rotors and pads, cylinders serviced and bearings changed. Kingpin serviced and bushes changed. Rear work going on

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-24062011203.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-24062011204.jpg

Engine is very very silent, sounds great and is emitting no smoke. Diagnosis, done very low mileage.

Most Viewed