Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2011, 10:33   #166
BHPian

Re: Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle

Will you be able to register the vehicle in Mumbai MH ? I would like to know if its possible to register MM550 in Mumbai. I drive a Omni & its a cop magnet, the last thing I would like is to get harassed by the cops for having a non Mumbai numberplate.

Last edited by vikrut : 16th July 2011 at 10:43.
Old 16th July 2011, 11:25   #167
Senior - BHPian

This may off topic but a valid observation to my mind -

Here in Delhi NCR there are cars with DL, HR, PB, KL, KA, AP, MH, WB, AS & others that I do not recall, running every single day. Some of which belong to friends / neighbours who moved from various parts of the country due to job transfers etc.

I have NEVER heard of them being harassed by cops. Maybe because of the cosmopoliton nature of this place. I think cops also understand that Delhi/NCR is a melting pot of many a culture, hence the tolerance.

Wish the cops in Bangalore & Mumbai thought of it the same way. Bangalore sure has a lot of people from out of state going to work there, maybe not so much in Mumbai.

Cheers
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:38   #168
BHPian

share some pictures of the restored jeep gogi bhai. Pics in action would also be awesome.
Old 30th July 2011, 20:44   #169
BHPian

Gogi Bhai - please share the latest with us..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
Will you be able to register the vehicle in Mumbai MH ? I would like to know if its possible to register MM550 in Mumbai.
Yes - but you need a *really* good agent and patience.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2011 at 12:37. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 6th August 2011, 20:04   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
What are those replicas costing you ?? That design is an evergreen.. I am told it is $200 + shipping & duties for the real deal. So if the replica is available locally - I'd say GO FOR IT
Cheers
The Replicas were quoted at 21k. I could have probably bargained for a few bucks here and there but Not worth it i thought as my heart was set on 8.5Js and these were 8Js. Also i wanted the Black Rocks but as the imports was not going to be available till mid August, i had no other option but to get Rims locally as the tyres were bought. Also these were not negative offset wheels and i wanted a negative offset look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Only risk attached to replicas is that they may look like Mickey Thompsons but may not take abuse too well when going offroad. That's one thing to keep in mind.
These rims look good and i have seen them do work on Imran's Gypsy. They look and operate pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
Will you be able to register the vehicle in Mumbai MH ? I would like to know if its possible to register MM550 in Mumbai. I drive a Omni & its a cop magnet, the last thing I would like is to get harassed by the cops for having a non Mumbai numberplate.
Vikrut, i have since then sent the papers back to Delhi for registration in Punjab(PB Something), from where the Jeep originally was. I will drive it withsthose plates by paying the Bombay Road tax and later get it transferred to Bombay. I found the options to register her in Bombay or Maharashtra, involved some hanky panky which i am not comfortable with so i sent the papers back to Harjeev who says it will take around 2-3 weeks for the registration to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
share some pictures of the restored jeep gogi bhai. Pics in action would also be awesome.
Sure thing buddy, here goes........

Sorry guys, for the delay, i got so involved with work that i have been neglecting the vehicle. Its been standing since that day and has not moved an inch. I do intend to change that. After the AKC and EXAMM otrs, in which the MM550 performed like a dream, i am all set to spruce it with some goodies, which i will reveal after i have confirmed that i will be getting them.

After the new Tyres and rims were shod, I found the ride very good and the grip superlative. Not once, i repeat not once did i have to even try an obstacle for the second time. All obstacles were cleared on the first try itself and without a scratch to both man and machine. Thankfully i have no broken taillights, bumper pieces and not even scrapped footrests. What a great vehicle it is.

Just a day before the otrs, Imran and his brother Faisal offered to raise the Jeep for me with fabricated shackles. I have to thanks the two enterprising brothers who worked on the Jeep for a whole day inspite of their two Gypsies also being readied for the same events. I got the Jeep lifted by some 2.5'' which really helped. All this done within half a day. Thanks Imran and Faisal, you really love your 4x4s and have done a super job on my Jeep.

The Jeep. These were the 15" Rims from Bombay, shod with Maxxis Bighorns 15"X31X10.5

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00810-800x600.jpg

Action pics as promised...Enjoy!!

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00865-800x600.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-272901_10150324620619740_562119739_9516731_742080_o.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-278769_10150324627989740_562119739_9516853_2639299_o.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-280544_10150324628274740_562119739_9516858_8380187_o.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-akc-2011.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00866-800x600.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00872-800x600.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00868-800x600.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00867-800x600.jpg

Videos

Last edited by V-16 : 6th August 2011 at 20:27. Reason: editing video inserts
V-16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 12:45   #171
Senior - BHPian

Gogi Praaji, the stance of your 550 is very good, great seeing it do what it does best.

BTW, nice registration no. you must have safely parked the other one right?

Spike
Old 7th August 2011, 18:20   #172
BHPian

awesome pics The jeep has some character
How is it with Indore number? I thought you said it was originally from Punjab?
Old 7th August 2011, 19:58   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Gogi Praaji, the stance of your 550 is very good, great seeing it do what it does best.

BTW, nice registration no. you must have safely parked the other one right?

Spike
LOL!! You bet Spikey!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
awesome pics The jeep has some character
How is it with Indore number? I thought you said it was originally from Punjab?
Well....... yes it is, thats why its going to get its PB number back.
Old 8th August 2011, 01:15   #174
Senior - BHPian

as usual trust a TBHPian to restore an EX ARMY MM550 back to its glory.

job well done right from Harjeev to Gogi.

also the inputs and various advice given all along the thread and WIP.

congrats once again Gogi saab.

Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 14:53   #175
Senior - BHPian

Parm, i still need a lot of Advice from veteran Jeepers like you. As you know this is my first tryst with a Diesel and that too a MM550 but a lot of good advice has come in through the forum itself. Now in the next few days it is going for work which it badly needs. Covering the 4 point roll cage with foam material, interior and under body treatment, NVH tackling material, Rear, forward facing seats, (I find the front seats quite adequately comfortable but if i will get my hands on a good deal for Innova seats, ill jump), electric winch, new steering wheel already got, hilift jack, additional lights for front and rear, new two piece soft top, air conditioner, and some minor mechanical work....not in that order though. Should take a few days for all this. The goodies go on the Jeeo after the mechanicals are taken care of thoroughly.

After this, or even before or during, i plan to sell the present wheel rims i have and change to Black Rocks. Why? well i always wanted black rocks and now i have access to them. I had to get new wheels as i did not have an option. I bought these wheels for 23.5k and have only done one otr in them. The are brand new (well the stepney literally is) and are scratchless. They look great and are supposed to be top of the line Korean (not Chinese but stamped, made in Korea as most cheaper rims are). Ill gladly sell them for a good offer if i get the right buyer. If anyone wants them, please PM me.

The Jeep hits the garage in a few days and depending on the OTR plans in the near future, will be in and out of the garage.
Old 17th August 2011, 20:35   #176
BHPian

Simply Beautiful. great pics n great videos, from the videos it looks like your baby has very good articulation. looking at how you people are having great fun at such events makes me so jealous. We don't have such events here in the north-east and particularly in Shillong, Even though I presume every 10th vehicle that you'd see in our roads here would definitely be a Jeep. They are mostly trailer pullers pulling either construction materials or a tanker trailer. So anytime I want to go off-roading I'd have to do it alone and that means I cant go hard-core.

Oh and by the way, have you made your oil cooler connections? Can you please post a pic of that if you have done it because I want to do it myself too.

One more thing, how does the steering/handling feels after power steering installation? Is there a big difference in effort required to steer with and without power steering, especially while offroading?

Thanks.
Old 24th August 2011, 04:25   #177
BHPian

Sir V-16,

Will it be possible to obtain the soft copy of parts and service manual for ex army MM550 DP from any of our team-bhpians. I need one, as within a month or two, I will be in the process of restoring one for me.
Old 24th August 2011, 17:42   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Simply Beautiful. great pics n great videos, from the videos it looks like your baby has very good articulation. looking at how you people are having great fun at such events makes me so jealous. We don't have such events here in the north-east and particularly in Shillong, Even though I presume every 10th vehicle that you'd see in our roads here would definitely be a Jeep. They are mostly trailer pullers pulling either construction materials or a tanker trailer. So anytime I want to go off-roading I'd have to do it alone and that means I cant go hard-core.

Oh and by the way, have you made your oil cooler connections? Can you please post a pic of that if you have done it because I want to do it myself too.
The North East should be an offroader's paradise according to what little i know about the area. Simply beautiful and awe inspiring locales. Im sure there are many like you, who have a love for offroading. I hope you find these people soon to have so much fun that will make us jealous as hell

The oil cooler connections are being done in the garage as we post. Will post a full pictoral after they are done.

Quote:
One more thing, how does the steering/handling feels after power steering installation? Is there a big difference in effort required to steer with and without power steering, especially while offroading?
With tyres like i have on my Jeep, its highly advisable to get a power steering set up, else have 21'' biceps

See video number 5 The Jeep breaker. In this obstacle, evey jeep that was not power steering assisted, had a huge problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
Sir V-16,

Will it be possible to obtain the soft copy of parts and service manual for ex army MM550 DP from any of our team-bhpians. I need one, as within a month or two, I will be in the process of restoring one for me.
Actually id like a copy of the same too. Im sure someone will be having it. But parts for the MM550 are easily available.
Old 24th August 2011, 19:24   #179
AVR
BHPian

Somewhere in this section someone posted the parts database as a link. See if you can search it else i'll post a link when I am on my computer. Never used it but am sure its useful.
Old 28th August 2011, 17:49   #180
BHPian

AVR - I would appreciate if you would post all possible information including parts and service manual for MM550 DP on this very forum itself. Both V-16 and me would be greatly helped.
Cj3bDog is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks