Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2006, 07:49   #1
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive

Hi friends:
Yesterday on the road at Pune, I saw a Tata Sumo 4x4 ambulance. Wasn’t able to get a pic. Will do that another time.

It had large M&S tires and free-wheeling hubs on the front wheels marked 4WD.
Painted olive-drab, it was an army ambulance with two rotating beacons on the roof, on the front left and rear right corners.

A thought. A true Indian 4x4 SUV! Wouldn’t it be better-designed, safer and predictable in steering, braking and handling compared to the Mahindra Scorpio CRDe.

It looked almost like a Mercedes Geländewagen, the ones used by military forces.
Couldn't tell what brand of M&S tires it was wearing, but they did look like the legendary Michelin XZL

Does anybody have any further info?

Last edited by Ram : 26th January 2006 at 07:52.
Ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2006, 09:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

The army got a whole big supply of 4X4 Sumos. If I'm not mistaken the order was in a few tens of thousands.

Civilians dont get it, just like the Gurkha....shucks I miss that chap from Parwanoo.
Old 26th January 2006, 10:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Civilians dont get it, just like the Gurkha....shucks I miss that chap from Parwanoo.
Err....cant we get them used from the Army when they no longer need them/replace them?
Tata should really bring out a civilian version. With a similar price tag of the Victa turbo.
Old 26th January 2006, 10:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think TATA displayed this car(or SUV) at the Auto Expo. Who knows, it may well be available for civilians at some point of time!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata Motors Website
The Armoured Sumo 4x4, powered by the 3-litre direct injection common rail (DICOR) diesel engine. The seating is configured for six armed personnel, with a roof hatch to accommodate two persons and four separate firing ports. The Company is also displaying a TL 4x4 application for defence services and the police.

Last edited by DCEite : 26th January 2006 at 10:22.
Old 26th January 2006, 12:37   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Some more info.
The SUV has a 1,948 cc type 483DL TCIC diesel that puts out 92 bhp @ 4300 rpm and 190 newton-metres of torque at 2500 rpm.

The two-speed transfer case has a low-ratio of 2.48:1 and a high-ratio of 1:1
Electronic shift-on-the-fly is possible, meaning there must be a way of synchronizing the transfer-case with the spinning front axle. It has automatic locking front hubs.

Can anybody throw more light on the Tata 4x4 mechanism, please?

Postscript: My old Mahindra MM540 4x4 had a Spicer-18 two-speed transfer case with a low-ratio of 2.46:1 and a high-ratio of 1:1. Originally the front axle splines were keyed to a flange bolted to the full-floating front axle. Later I replaced the flange with a Warn 29062 Premium Manual hub.
Old 26th January 2006, 13:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ram: well sir, tatas use elcetric shift-on-the fly 4x4 transmissions from borg warner. the initial lot of the safaris had manual hub-locks for the front axle, but the later ones came with fully automatic hub-locks. the shift on the fly is effective for engaging 4x4 H upto speeds of 60 kmph. the rear has a (clutch-type) salisbury LSD, which is available only for the 4x4 models.
the front axle is fixed type, fully floating with exposed half-shafts as drive shafts.

that's all i can recollect from the dissecting i have done on my ex-safari 4x4...if you need any more specific or technical information, perhaps i can look it up..
Old 26th January 2006, 16:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
I think TATA displayed this car(or SUV) at the Auto Expo. Who knows, it may well be available for civilians at some point of time!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata Motors Website
The Armoured Sumo 4x4, powered by the 3-litre direct injection common rail (DICOR) diesel engine. The seating is configured for six armed personnel, with a roof hatch to accommodate two persons and four separate firing ports. The Company is also displaying a TL 4x4 application for defence services and the police.
Lets suppose this does become available for civilians....

Our Police force has got the Qualis and the Bolero... I'm pretty sure both of which are 2WD with a Stock setup...

What if some smart criminals decide to pick up this Armoured Sumo 4x4 and fit it with some good rubber with "run flat" capability.... Now would this not be an excellent setup for a get away car!!!

There are reasons why vehicles designed for the Army are not available to civilians....
Old 26th January 2006, 18:51   #8
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon
Lets suppose this does become available for civilians....

Our Police force has got the Qualis and the Bolero... I'm pretty sure both of which are 2WD with a Stock setup...

What if some smart criminals decide to pick up this Armoured Sumo 4x4 and fit it with some good rubber with "run flat" capability.... Now would this not be an excellent setup for a get away car!!!

There are reasons why vehicles designed for the Army are not available to civilians....
Don't we know that people who don't hesitate to be on the other side of the law -- underworld and politicians alike -- do use Mitsubishi Pajeros, Toyota Land Cruisers, Prados, Honda Valkyries, Suzuki Hayabusas, AK-47/56s, nitramines and other serious law-hijacking tools, as and when needed.

What is the harm if safe controlable SUVs are available?

Haven't we played enough with barely controllable ones -- with poor brakes, poor steering and unsafe suspension -- like the Scorpio CRDe.

Last edited by Ram : 26th January 2006 at 18:59.
Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2007, 14:26   #9
BHPian

Sumo 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The army got a whole big supply of 4X4 Sumos. If I'm not mistaken the order was in a few tens of thousands.

Steeroid,
Check this out

TATA Motors - Utility Vehicles

I saw a white Sumo 4x4 yesterday, and it got me thinking. It had Black Plastic cladded wheel arches and looked stunning. I checked out the website and what do you know they do have the 4x4 on offer for civilians for about 6.95 lac ex-showroom Gurgaon.
Old 7th July 2007, 17:33   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This 4x4 gearbox also made its way on some Sierras. One example was on display for a long time at the worli company showroom.
Old 7th July 2007, 18:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Tata had launched 4X4 sierra in india in it last years but they were on order bases only and there where no taker for the price.
Why is the sumo 4x4 cheaper than the telcoline price 7.9 l [ sold at present]???????
or have they reduced the price on that to??????
Old 7th July 2007, 19:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The 4x4 Sumo has been available and listed at about 7L Ex-Showroom. This would translate to a OTR of about 8L, going close to Safari territory. If was willing to spend 8L, I would go a little further to get a Safari 4x4, even if it was not of a higher trim level.

Would also have been comfortable with a slightly longer wheel-base, not the 2400mm that's on the Sumo. Imagine - a UV, both taller, a little longer & wider, and heavier than a Indica - but having the same wheel-base. How do you think this would handle at higher speeds ?

Ground clearance is another aspect - just about 160mm, as much as that of a sedan. The Safari is better at 190mm.
Old 7th July 2007, 19:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

The sumo 4X4 too gets sold just that the target market is different,like for instance some of the mining guys go in for the 4X4 sumo.

We as a market really have not matured enough for a 4X4, we love the higher stance of SUV's but 4WD or 2WD does not really matter for most.If we can get more creature comforts for the price of a 4WD then you know what most would opt for.
Old 7th July 2007, 23:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Steeroid,
Check this out

TATA Motors - Utility Vehicles

I saw a white Sumo 4x4 yesterday, and it got me thinking. It had Black Plastic cladded wheel arches and looked stunning. I checked out the website and what do you know they do have the 4x4 on offer for civilians for about 6.95 lac ex-showroom Gurgaon.

nice one..don't know TATA has so many SUMO variants
thanx
Old 8th July 2007, 00:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

LHD SUMO 4x4

i kno a person here in kurla mumbai.. he has a sumo 4wd version which is LHD and colord green.. army style. dunno how he sourcd one but he uses it as a private vehicle.

the only badging it has is 4x4 and turbo.. and no sumo written ne where.

Most Viewed