Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 19:17   #31
BHPian

re: CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger

Its running the 7.50x16 NDMS now.

What are you looking in a engine , power,mileage,smoothness, ruggedness, budget ?

Anyways ill post some pointers to both the engines

Isuzu 4FG1

Powerful
Silent
Priced around 75k with the gearbox in delhi
Clutch master cylinder keeps failing
No parts for the isuzu gearbox available.
New engine/gearbox mounts needed .

Power depends, if you get it rebuilt by Narayan anna then it will kick all the others except sd25.
With kiki it will take the thar head on
Rugged engine , no need to down shift while slowing down.

You need to overhaul the engine, get the kiki, adapter plate, 540 gearbox with 9/44 diffs.

You will rule.

Another option is 307 with isuzu 4 speed gearbox.

Last edited by Frankenstein : 1st November 2012 at 19:20.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:58   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
With kiki it will take the thar head on with 9/44 diffs. You will rule.
Dear Frankenstein - not necessarily, you will recall that there was a certain Thar known as MH01V521. CMVR did not allow it to come in and fly off the showrooms but people have seen its performance! It had many things that the production vehicles did not have. . Alas, that's life, I've moved on ---.

Dear Ravindra M - there is no direct answer to your question. The nearest that I can say is, why Maruti 800s of 1986/87 were better than all other cars made to same specifications? These Japanese do something which we have not even begun to recongize, let alone understand or implement.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Frankenstein - not necessarily, you will recall that there was a certain Thar known as MH01V521. CMVR did not allow it to come in and fly off the showrooms but people have seen its performance! It had many things that the production vehicles did not have. . Alas, that's life, I've moved on ---.

Dear Ravindra M - there is no direct answer to your question. The nearest that I can say is, why Maruti 800s of 1986/87 were better than all other cars made to same specifications? These Japanese do something which we have not even begun to recongize, let alone understand or implement.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram bhai , i have driven a friends thar with a tuning box claimed to be 156bhp. Regarding the brakes, i have changed the booster of my 2003 scorpio to that of the scorpio crde tandem booster on spikes advice, it was a superb suggestion, have to try it on one of the thars.

Ravindra, the kiki has bigger elements than the stock mico/bosch for the om616 i guess.

Got the Jeep home today , feels like a aftermarket turboed swift petrol , ford endy with a 3L engine could not keep up with the Jeep from 60 to 100km, the 3 speed gear box is the limitation.
Future mods planned

Tempo traveler flywheel and injectors
Nissan sd25 throttle body
Isuzu 4 speed gear box
4.27 crown pinion
540 axles
Engine tuning (tappets etc) by Narayan anna of Bharath motors.
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:14   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Behram bhai, i have driven a friends thar with a tuning box claimed to be 156bhp.
Dear Frankenstein - I would want you to drive MH01V521. Sadly, it is not in my hands anymore, maybe Vinod can help (I hope 521 still survives, I am not so sure). Nobody was as mad as me in that organization! . I had made a Scorpio 4*4 MH01AC9202 with same performance, I know that it does not survive!

In the end, Thar sells with a 4 month waiting list, that's all that matters!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 20:18   #35
BHPian

Re: CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger

Knock knock , who is there, its the 220 nozzles , please get out .

Ordered the tempo traveller 212 nozzles and fitting them tomorrow . These 212 nozzles reduce sound and give more power and fuel efficiency ,even better than the Benz 15xx nozzles .

some pics of the setup with out an air filter.

The 3rd pic is of the sd25 air intake next to the om616 intake butterfly . Notice the size difference.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger-1.jpg  

CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger-2.jpg  

CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger-3.jpg  

CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger-4.jpg  

Old 6th November 2012, 21:28   #36
BHPian

The intake in a SD25 is something to be experienced. I just fitted a SD25 with Kiki and a K&N filter. Got it tuned according to Frankenstein's specs. If I rev the engine above a certain RPM all we could hear is the Whoooshh sound of the air intake and not the engine running, real music to the ears.
One more thing, Frank, how did you manage the fueling with the Turbo? Can you highlight a bit?

Last edited by drjones : 6th November 2012 at 21:57.
drjones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 22:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
The intake in a SD25 is something to be experienced. I just fitted a SD25 with Kiki and a K&N filter. Got it tuned according to Frankenstein's specs. If I rev the engine above a certain RPM all we could hear is the Whoooshh sound of the air intake and not the engine running, real music to the ears.
One more thing, Frank, how did you manage the fueling with the Turbo? Can you highlight a bit?
Doc , im happy that you are satisfied with your new engine transplant .

I went to a known pump shop today and he had the kiki which we discussed in detail.

The full load screw , which i asked you to tweak and a lot of things were explained .

The full load screw will increase the fuel throughout the rev range , that is if the full load screw is set to the max by turning it anti clock wise , there will be black smoke after 2000rpm .

The kiki has an external full load screw which we can increase and decrease unlike the mico/bosh/tvs lucas with an internal full load screw only which the pump shop guys can fiddle.

Now to arrest the black smoke after 2000rpm and retain the low end power
like when the screw is maxed out , we need to increase the basic load screws/rack to give more fuel . This will give more fuel from idling, now after this if the full load screw is reduced , we will get superb low end with a clean highend with out black smoke .

The pump runs on 50%rpm as the engine, you can set the max rpm bolt to 2500rpm so that your engine will rin at 5000rpm max.

First pic is the full load screw
Second pic is the rack/basic fuel load, the small screws on top or the springs need to be adjusted towards the governor and balanced .

3rd pic is the max rpm screw , unlock the lock nut and turn the screw anticlockwise , better to do it in a pump shop bench and set the screw to 2500rpm .
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger-5.jpg  

CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger-7.jpg  

CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger-8.jpg  

Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks