Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 11:18   #16
BHPian

Re: My Mahindra MM540 Build

Thank you for the inputs Spike sir,

How can we identify if the B pillar is weak ?

Another Question: The yellow highlights, thats where the fender joins the tub. The fender was removed for painting and is now fixed back, but he has put a rubber beading and fixed it. I asked the Mech and he said the fender is always fixed with rubber beading to the tub. Is that true? I checked few jeep pics and real jeeps, didnt find any rubber beading at the joint.

If unclear with this picture, i'll try to click the latest picture and upload it.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu10.jpg  

Old 30th June 2011, 11:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvikz View Post
How can we identify if the B pillar is weak ?
It is pretty evident through the following experiences:-

1. A superstructure is usually provided mostly to aid it.
2. When you close the door, the nearby areas shake.
3. During offroading, when under good amount of flex, the door does not open / shut properly.
4. You have to set the door often (mostly in MM)

Quote:
Another Question: The yellow highlights, thats where the fender joins the tub. The fender was removed for painting and is now fixed back, but he has put a rubber beading and fixed it. I asked the Mech and he said the fender is always fixed with rubber beading to the tub. Is that true? I checked few jeep pics and real jeeps, didnt find any rubber beading at the joint.
There are two stay rods which are used to strengthen the fender from within, ensure that it is present. Yes the two mating parts (metal & metal region) are separated using a rubber beading. Check these points on a brand new Thar CRDe / DI, they will be present.

Quote:
If unclear with this picture, i'll try to click the latest picture and upload it.
Not needed . Please do not call me Sir, Spike is OK.

Spike
Old 30th June 2011, 12:10   #18
BHPian

In the absence of the real sir, Im sure Spike you have become Sir. Anyways that was some good information in typical sir style. on the detailing in mm is missing. Guess you shall get that too, when you spend 17 years in M&M. Hope you are getting what i'm hinting.
Old 30th June 2011, 16:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
In the absence of the real sir, Im sure Spike you have become Sir. Anyways that was some good information in typical sir style. on the detailing in mm is missing. Guess you shall get that too, when you spend 17 years in M&M. Hope you are getting what i'm hinting.
Kavesh, frankly speaking I did not understand what you are hinting. If anything mentioned is incorrect or if you have any inputs let me know. Would be glad to learn.

Spike
Old 30th June 2011, 22:00   #20
BHPian

I could not go to the garage today, too much office work ! Hopefully tomorrow is a jeep-visit day.

May 21

We (me and a pal) made my first visit to JC road around this time. For any Jeep part I usually head to Sharda Motors opposite to Urvashi theatre. Im not sure why I chose JC Road instead but it soon became a regular hangout on Saturdays. I head straight to prestige automobiles and order a pair of rear lights, a Bolero camper Air filter, fog lights and headlight bulbs and covers. The verdict: Rear lights are available, air filter will take time, fog lights not here and headlight bulbs in electrical shop.

We visit the opposite shop, also belonging to Prestige and get our headlight covers, also used on older ambassadors. Then a walk to popular automobiles thats next door and on the 1st floor. They don't have fog lights either. We come back and walk into 2nd cross, a road for upholsteries. Watching the mechanics and painters at work is fascinating. Within minutes they paint, repaint, tinker, re-work and do all sort of repairs that one would have to wait for in a regular garage.

We get back into prestige and they have an air filter ready but without its casing. Mechanic confirms he needs the case as well. Prestige says casing will take time. We go out for tea. On our way back we stop at Nithin Automobiles and look for headlight bulbs and fog lights. Headlight bulbs are bought (90/100) a relay set also picked up and we go back into prestige. The shop owners have the case ready as well.

With the stuffs we bought we trudge into one of the narrow lanes and begin looking for fog lights. Some of them are imported and begin from 2,000 onwards. Some have been salvaged from imported vehicles and local ones as well and thus are within the 700-for-a-piece price. We decide to buy 2 fog/spot lights and 2 yellow fog lights. We head to a shop and pick up a pair of NEOLIGHTS for 1400/- and a brisk walk into 2nd, 3rd, 4th cross to scout for 2 fog lights.

Armed with a pair of yellow fog-lights (600 for 2), an air filter, rear lights, head light covers, NeoLights, headlight bulbs, relay and 2 guys, our splender makes it journey from JC road to Ramurthy nagar.

End Of PART 1

pictures taken from following sites:

4.0/4.6/P38A Air Box Replacement

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...captain-4.html

Apologies for Any copyright infringement.

My earlier air filter (a friend used to call it the "lotta") looked similar to pic 1 and the new one (Looks like a Hot case), pic 2 and 3
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra MM540 Build-old.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-new.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-new1.jpg  

Old 30th June 2011, 22:46   #21
BHPian

Forgot to add, we also bought a radiator fan, body bushes and air cleaner hoses.
Old 1st July 2011, 11:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

There are two stay rods which are used to strengthen the fender from within, ensure that it is present. Yes the two mating parts (metal & metal region) are separated using a rubber beading. Check these points on a brand new Thar CRDe / DI, they will be present.

Spike
I observed a Thar today and found no rubber beading jutting out of the fender-tub meeting point. Is the beading tucked in completely? In my jeep, the beading is visible, a fine line of rubber excatly where i have hightlighted in yellow.
Old 1st July 2011, 12:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^ Beading is not supposed to jut out, it must be tucked in. The beading must be present between them and must not be visible (unless observed carefully).

Spike
Old 1st July 2011, 13:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ Beading is not supposed to jut out, it must be tucked in. The beading must be present between them and must not be visible (unless observed carefully).

Spike
My apologies to the owner of the jeep Im displaying without their permission.

This jeep dont have any rubber beading jutting out. In fact its hard to notice any rubber lining at all...

Whereas in my jeep right now the rubber beading looking something like this (unless the mechanic is going to tuck it in before delivery) encircled in yellow.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra MM540 Build-73013.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu67.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2011, 10:39   #25
BHPian

We'll leave the beading issue in a come for a while.

May 21 part-2

Returning from JC road around evening, we are greeted to the jeep's latest status. Mechanic had said he will not remove the tub to paint, rather would lift it up a bit to do the work (Budgetary Issues).

With the fenders removed, the jeep looked like a roaster ready to drag at a local U.S. track.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu13.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu14.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu15.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2011, 21:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mechanic had said he will not remove the tub to paint, rather would lift it up a bit to do the work (Budgetary Issues)
not good, how much more was asked for keeping the tub down and putting it back. You would (have been) be surprised to see how much new problems will be visible with tub out of the way - a chassis has so much to reveal if its bare!!
Old 3rd July 2011, 22:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
not good, how much more was asked for keeping the tub down and putting it back. You would (have been) be surprised to see how much new problems will be visible with tub out of the way - a chassis has so much to reveal if its bare!!
We overshot the budget even after agreeing to a paint job without tub-removal. I shudder to think how much it would have gone if we had decided to go "Tub"less.

Though i think from my heart, I have to pay from a pocket.

I spent my yearly bonus and a couple of month's pay check on jeep. Each day got harder to pass, but all that despair vanished every time i looked at the jeep.

I feel i rather be poorer and enjoy owning/driving jeep then be someone who earned well and wished he was THAT guy across the street who owned/drove a JEEP.

Lets all hope, i earn the big bucks for a tub-removed paint work in the future.

Last edited by kingvikz : 3rd July 2011 at 23:10. Reason: Internet got disconnected.
Old 3rd July 2011, 23:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
We overshot the budget even after agreeing to a paint job without tub-removal. I shudder to think how much it would have gone if we had decided to go "Tub"less.
If it is not really expensive please remove the tub and have a thorough look under the body. It will go a long way. (Ask me how i know). Reduce your budget on the aesthetics and invest on tub removal. You can re-use the wiring also if they remove them carefully.
mohang_j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 23:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
If it is not really expensive please remove the tub and have a thorough look under the body. It will go a long way. (Ask me how i know). Reduce your budget on the aesthetics and invest on tub removal. You can re-use the wiring also if they remove them carefully.
The only aesthetics I got on the jeep was a new color and restitched the weak seats. Otherwise Jeep is pretty much the same as he was to look at earlier. I understand that removing the tub would have helped to great lengths. However the quotations he gave were so high, I left the garage. Mechanic called me few weeks later and said he could work it out this way. Since he is also Suresh Sir's and quite a lot of other jeepers' mechanic I believed he will do a good job. And he has kept his word. I will try and get the tub removed in future. Right now, a paint/tinker job was long overdue, while passing the F.C was also on my agenda.
Old 5th July 2011, 00:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My apologies to the owner of the jeep Im displaying without their permission.

This jeep dont have any rubber beading jutting out. In fact its hard to notice any rubber lining at all...

Whereas in my jeep right now the rubber beading looking something like this (unless the mechanic is going to tuck it in before delivery) encircled in yellow.
I have got this answer from my mechanic when I expressed my desire of having rubber beading on my Willys then the answer was it would do more harm than good as the water will seep deep in between the rubber and add more rusting issues. I have never seen 540 with rubber beading so, you can avoid them. In fact you can try rubber sealing used by glass fitters to seal any gaps in between the body and avoid rust issues for ever.

Quote:
The only aesthetics I got on the jeep was a new color and restitched the weak seats. Otherwise Jeep is pretty much the same as he was to look at earlier. I understand that removing the tub would have helped to great lengths. However the quotations he gave were so high, I left the garage. Mechanic called me few weeks later and said he could work it out this way. Since he is also Suresh Sir's and quite a lot of other jeepers' mechanic I believed he will do a good job. And he has kept his word. I will try and get the tub removed in future. Right now, a paint/tinker job was long overdue, while passing the F.C was also on my agenda.
I personally experience how the budget will shoot up when you take up some extra detailed task and I can understand your concern, I feel without removing tub also as the painter is lifting it little can discover cracks if any, even with tub as well it shouldn't be a problem but the wiring might be needed if you take off the tub, the only issue would be you may not have a through anti rust coat done to the bottom of the tub until you topple it aside.

Why don't you use some older or worn out tires or even remove them while your jeep is getting painted as they will absorb the residues of red oxide, putty, and roughness of paint, and you can have a through paint work on them, your jeep tires look new hence this suggestion.

Most Viewed