Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2011, 00:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Unimog is completely a different breed. even the vintage one is a great offroader.

where as 407 is just a 1 tonner with 4x4. i am sure the 4x4 is useless with the full load with that puny engine.

just for the info, there is a version of Unimog you can convert from left hand drive to right hand drive in 1 minute flat. the control along with steering is mounted on a rail.
Thanks for the correct answer in the thread (i have made it bold).

thats why the 407 was discontinued and the Indian army has a new TATA 4x4 in 2-3 ton catagory.

please see the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-obfl763kashmig201002080.jpg  

Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 00:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

again correction!!
713 is there in the indian army for many years now. it had old merc derived shape, but this facelift what you have uploaded is even now in its 7 or 8 years.

major difference being a 6 cylinder engine with completely different vacuum braking system, diff locks, etc. So with this engine power to weight ratio is excellent.

and simply hear the sound when it passes by, absolutely pure music to a truck lover.

TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?-old-713.jpg
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 05:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Long range 4x4 trekking in the Himalayas is a balancing act. You need size to haul the stuff you need for remote excursions, including lots of fuel. But if you are too big you will have trouble negotiating small village marketplaces and narrow mountain roads carved from the sides of 500 meter cliffs. And, of course, once you are .... stuck in the muck with a truck...you are STUCK! ...and that sucks....(no violations yet so here ends the "uck" poetics).

There is nothing on the Indian market tailor made for long range trekking. As just a sub-species of 4x4 it's way too small a niche. So, vehicles like the Thar CRDe, the Getaway, Bolero Camper, Tata 407, Safari, Xenon ...all are worthy of consideration, with the fore knowledge that some planning and modification will be needed. None of them are Unimogs. But the Himalayas will erode away to nubs before we see an Indian Unimog.

Also, for remote trekking you need stone cold reliability. Worst case scenario, you break down in the Himalayas and have to leave your vehicle up there for seven months because the passes close before you can get a mechanic and parts to your problem child.

Perhaps B.D. can resurrect the glory days of Land Rover and conjure us up a Himalayan cruiser. It will be called the "Yak"..or maybe the "Ibex". The third offered name, the "Wild *ss" will be thrown out for obscure reasons.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know the Army rarely uses any Tata 407s, they are mostly used by paramilitary forces as troop carriers and not in any tactical situation. Its payload capacity is not high enough. The Army mostly uses Tata LPTA 713
and the Leyland Stallions.

I think from the point of view of a motorhome, a Tata 713/715 chassis would be a better option. These have a slighter higher payload capacity. Considering the larger number of these, I am thinking more would be getting disposed off as well.
Old 3rd July 2011, 16:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Guys thanks a lot for help with ideas and advise.
Old 4th July 2011, 10:39   #21
BHPian

I saw some TATA older 604 trucks at Mayapuri more than a year ago. They are similar to the 713 but an older version. I cannot confirm whether they had diff locks etc but were surely 4X4 and in pretty good condition. I am sure asking around in Mayapuri will surely lead some results.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
I saw some TATA older 604 trucks at Mayapuri more than a year ago. They are similar to the 713 but an older version. I cannot confirm whether they had diff locks etc but were surely 4X4 and in pretty good condition. I am sure asking around in Mayapuri will surely lead some results.
I am sorry, but you are definitely mistaken about the model number here. There never was anything like a 604. A Tata "xx04" would mean a 40bhp engine, definitely not a possibilty. The only Tata engines with a power rating lower than 50bhp are the 2cylinder engines powering the Nano and the Ace.

The only "6xx" trucks have been the 608s and the 609s and I dont think either one of them were ever the basis of 4x4s for the Army. Among older Army 4x4s from Tata were the 808s and obviously the 1210s.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 14:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I am sorry, but you are definitely mistaken about the model number here. There never was anything like a 604. A Tata "xx04" would mean a 40bhp engine, definitely not a possibilty. The only Tata engines with a power rating lower than 50bhp are the 2cylinder engines powering the Nano and the Ace.

The only "6xx" trucks have been the 608s and the 609s and I dont think either one of them were ever the basis of 4x4s for the Army. Among older Army 4x4s from Tata were the 808s and obviously the 1210s.
Sorry I meant the Tata LPTA 610/32

the "610" . Don't know why I mentioned 604. Monday morning blues I guess!
Old 4th July 2011, 15:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Sorry I meant the Tata LPTA 610/32

the "610" . Don't know why I mentioned 604. Monday morning blues I guess!
Ok, awfully rare truck. But again, my memory says, these were never used by the Army, but by some paramlitary forces. Also they were standard 4x2s and not 4x4s.
Old 4th July 2011, 16:16   #25
BHPian

Some of these trucks 713 were for sale in WB.

I got my army disposal gypsy last year from same place

(Trucks like Shaktiman, Nissan 1 tonner ,Tata etc where on sale )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
again correction!!
713 is there in the indian army for many years now. it had old merc derived shape, but this facelift what you have uploaded is even now in its 7 or 8 years.

major difference being a 6 cylinder engine with completely different vacuum braking system, diff locks, etc. So with this engine power to weight ratio is excellent.

and simply hear the sound when it passes by, absolutely pure music to a truck lover.

Attachment 570677

Last edited by aah78 : 5th July 2011 at 07:42. Reason: Spell check.
Old 27th July 2011, 00:15   #26
BHPian

1. Army never used a 4X4 TATA 407. It is being used by parmilitary forces.
2. Army does have TATA 407, which is 4X2 and is used in non combatant duties like farming(The colour of the vehicle also may not be OG). The authorized number of these vehicles is very miniscule.
3. 407 has the same engine as the 207, which is being used extensively by the army in UN duties. However, this also is not a 4X4.
4. 713 is a different breed when compared to 407. It has been approved to carry 2.5 tons of weight. It has a differential lock. It does not have a 4H function.
5. Army has ambulances(capacity = 4 patients) based on Swaraj Mazda and TATA 713.

Dirty Dan has apparently brought out the gist by mentioning the bulk and reliablity factor of using such a vehicle for the above mentioned task of wandering in Himalayas or otherwise.
713 uses a full sized truck wheel(equivalent to 1210, 16xx, etc) which itself is a task to change by single person when compared to SUVs mentioned by DD.
713 has to be towed by a recovery vehicle only.
susan3004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 03:02   #27
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but wanted to know if there is any possibility to buy a new Tata 407 4x4 from the company and register it privately. Also, what happened to the thread opener's plan for building a motorhome? Did it materialise?
Old 16th February 2019, 07:53   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
...but wanted to know if there is any possibility to buy a new Tata 407 4x4 ... register it privately.
@Blackpearl, Private registration will not be possible.

Another member was trying to register an old TT (convert to motor-home) as private vehicle, but no success (yet)
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 13:38   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but wanted to know if there is any possibility to buy a new Tata 407 4x4 from the company and register it privately. Also, what happened to the thread opener's plan for building a motorhome? Did it materialise?

I would advise (unsolicited, ofcourse! ) you to scratch this motohome itch in the UK, rather than get frustrated here. Too many gotchas waiting for you in the dark
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 21:14   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I would advise (unsolicited, ofcourse! ) you to scratch this motohome itch in the UK, rather than get frustrated here. Too many gotchas waiting for you in the dark
Good advice is always welcome! But my visa period is limited, so it is difficult to get a motorhome here and utilise it. I might rent one, but never liked the idea of using a rented motorhome. I still don't understand why cant we get a few decent options in India as I feel the potential is huge.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed