Team-BHP - TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   TATA 407 4x4, is it available through army auctions? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/103769-tata-407-4x4-available-through-army-auctions.html)

i have seen people restoring MM and MG ex army vehicles, some even going for Jongas and Nissan 1 tons.

...but i havent come across anyone going for Tata 407 4x4 from the army auctions.

i request people who pick up jeeps and gypsies from the army auctions to please keep an eye on this 1 ton Tata 407 4x4.

i believe its a great vehicle to restore if some one wants to go for a 4WD vehicle for long expeditions and are looking for in built camper!

i remember DirtyDan writing somewhere about this truck, also DKG was building something on a pickup truck....

this truck reminds of MB Unimog (since Tata 407 is inspired from Unimog 406).....so the modifications are endless if someone wants to get inspired!

here are few photos....

Please Don't CONFUSE THE Tata 407 with the MB UNIMOG.

The Tata 407 is derived from MB407d Truck/Buses.

They are absolutely different, the INDIAN ARMY does not use the Tata407 4x4, BSF & CRPF use this vehicle.

Regards,

Arka

is the shakthiman inspired from the MAN truck?

Quote:

Originally Posted by madan80 (Post 2413356)

Oh, yes, of course.
Not just inspired, it IS the MAN truck produced as Shaktiman (Shakti-MAN) by VFJ, under license from MAN, Germany.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madan80 (Post 2413356)

Yes it is. Very recently I met a Major in Army (he is also a member here), he told me the ShaktiMAN is designed to run even on vanaspathi / vegetable oils (required in times of exigencies). The engines used to run for a good amount of time before seizing. Amazing! clap:

Spike

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 2413274)
Hi Parm,

They are absolutely different, the INDIAN ARMY does not use the Tata407 4x4, BSF & CRPF use this vehicle.

Regards,

Arka

:D

TATA used to supply the Indian Army with a 4x4 version of the 407. I do not know if they still do. I have seen a few on the road around here, but not lately. I have been told by a local dealer here that they are not for sale to the general public. This is dealer info and hence suspect.

Click on this....Tata 407 (4 x 4) Soft Top Troop Carrier, Tata LPTA 713 TC, Tata SD 1015 TC

Arka sir i have not compared the Tata 407 to Unigom, i just showed their similarities in the photos.

There is a possibility of picking up this truck through auctions and converting it into a nice camper for expeditions, for that reason i posted the Unimog photos.

Hi Parm SIRJEE,

THERE IS NO SIMILARITY BETWEEN THE TATA407 & MB UNIMOG 300-1500 Series.

Even the Tata 407 Cab/Tempo Excel Cab is derived from MB 407D.

Regards,

Arka

PS - The SHAKTIMAN was a licensed version of the MAN630A

what parm wants is to make a motor home on 4x4 407.

IMO parm posted the unimogs pictures as a reference only.

so lets stick to motor home on 4x4 407 chassis which looks similar to unimog.lol:

rgds,
Nikhil

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster (Post 2413576)
what parm wants is to make a motor home on 4x4 407.

IMO parm posted the unimogs pictures as a reference only.

so lets stick to motor home on 4x4 407 chassis which looks similar to unimog.lol:

rgds,
Nikhil

Hi JEEPSTER,

http://www.westafricaimport.com/cont...s/IMG_0060.JPG

http://www.westafricaimport.com/cont...s/IMG_0061.JPG

Even if I paint the above German 407D's Olive Green I doubt they will have any similarity with the UNIMOGs.

IIRC the UNIMOGS with "Motor Homes" were ex-Military Radio Vehicles, called "FunkWagen" in german :D

Regards,

Arka

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 2413274)

hi arka,
kindly check the link below and see lot 33, it is the same 407 you guys are debating about if i am not wrong..

Auction Catalog Report
its the upcoming auction in OD AVADI chennai and the lot 33 is as follows

[in case the link does not work]
Lot No: 33

Lot Name: Tk 1 Ton TATA TELCO 407

Tk 1 Ton TATA TELCO 407
QTY - 01 CL-V B VEH

1 LOT As Applicable / 4% UVP, OD Avadi, Chennai - 55.

just came across the same and wanted to bring it to your notice clap:
regards
Vignesh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parm (Post 2413265)
i have seen people restoring MM and MG ex army vehicles, some even going for Jongas and Nissan 1 tons.

...but i havent come across anyone going for Tata 407 4x4 from the army auctions.

i request people who pick up jeeps and gypsies from the army auctions to please keep an eye on this 1 ton Tata 407 4x4.

i believe its a great vehicle to restore if some one wants to go for a 4WD vehicle for long expeditions and are looking for in built camper!

i remember DirtyDan writing somewhere about this truck, also DKG was building something on a pickup truck....

this truck reminds of MB Unimog (since Tata 407 is inspired from Unimog 406).....so the modifications are endless if someone wants to get inspired!

here are few photos....

Parm, I admire your creative vision and your ability to think outside the box. I live in siliguri which is pretty close to the Chinese border (approx 200km) and we do see a fair few Army vehicles. But I do not recall seeing a TATA 407 in Indian Army Colours.

What i do see regularly are these mazda Ambulances. Maybe you will be able to find this model more easily than a TATA 407 at army auctions as there are more of these around. By the way these mazdas are 4x4 equipped too. Plus the rear already has a hard top, so converting it into a motor home could be much easier and cheaper than with a soft top TATA 407.

(P.S sorry about the size of the picture, I could not find many on the net)

I'd read on the forum that Tata had imported a couple of Unimogs to India during the development of 407 4x4. So, there's some (very tiny) inspiration from the Unimog although it is based on the MB407. :)

Read post no. 6
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1510238

Quote:

Originally Posted by salilpawar1 (Post 2413801)
I'd read on the forum that Tata had imported a couple of Unimogs to India during the development of 407 4x4. So, there's some (very tiny) inspiration from the Unimog although it is based on the MB407. :)

Read post no. 6
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1510238

Hey thanks. When I started reading this thread, I was thinking what a pain it would be to dig out my old post. You've already found it out for me.

The info on the post was communicated to me by UBS himself.

Unimog is completely a different breed. even the vintage one is a great offroader.

where as 407 is just a 1 tonner with 4x4. i am sure the 4x4 is useless with the full load with that puny engine.

just for the info, there is a version of Unimog you can convert from left hand drive to right hand drive in 1 minute flat. the control along with steering is mounted on a rail.