Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 21:28   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Red_Liner:

Where are you getting your information from? Like I said, I have seen the Invader 4x4 with the Turbo DI engine and 5 Speed gear box at the dealer. I suspect that city dealers probably sell a handful of Invaders let alone the 4x4 version and lack the information about these vehicles.

DD: Turbo DI/NGT520/4x4 Invader is available. PS is no longer offered on Invader. If you remember reading from the thread Arka posted about his steering mods the new manual steering in the Bolero and Pick up range have a much higher ratio and the Bolero Camper pick is sold with 235 radials without PS.

Next time, I will get pictures/video etc so that you can convince your dealer that such a model exists and he just need to order it.
Old 30th January 2009, 21:48   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we need that. The dealers dont care about selling something they dont make too much of a margin on, I suppose. Obviously they want to push what is readily available as stock.

Logically, as Vinod pointed out, I just see no sense in offering a 4wd option of 2 different engines for very similar shells from the same company. Am still shaking my head. If it is available as you and Vinod pointed out - well and good. Another point: why no PS on the Invader? I understand not having an air-con (open and all). If that thing had PS, I would have been a possible buyer.

Dont tell me they dont offer PS because technically PS mode is a lot more dicey when going hard core OTR. And dont tell me its because they want to keep the costs low? In all probability, I am guessing its the cost.
Old 30th January 2009, 23:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

a 4X4 bolero with DI engine was sold recently in classified section
and price quoted was 9L
So I guess A DI with a 4X4 should be available.
Old 31st January 2009, 12:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If that thing had PS, I would have been a possible buyer.
Dont tell me they dont offer PS because technically PS mode is a lot more dicey when going hard core OTR. And dont tell me its because they want to keep the costs low? In all probability, I am guessing its the cost.
redliner,

Strangely in India P/S is still considered as luxury!! Invader is primarily sold to Govt agencies , rural areas and mining sector. There paying extra for P/S doesnt make sence as roads are kuttcha and these are driven by drivers than owners. Very few enthusiasts like us buy such vehicles in cities are primary vehicle.

M&M introduced turbo engine and 5 speed tranny mainly for meeting passer by noise regulations! In such vehicles occupants comfort is of least priority. India has still not matured enough for such comfortable life style vehicles
Old 1st February 2009, 02:23   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Like I said, I have seen the Invader 4x4 with the Turbo DI engine and 5 Speed gear box at the dealer. ....

Next time, I will get pictures/video etc so that you can convince your dealer that such a model exists and he just need to order it.

Had an interesting chat with the Mahindra dealer in Palampur, Himachal P. today. He is an affable fellow who goes out of his way to try to be helpful. But his own people 1 and 2 levels up keep letting him down. He called 2 area Mahindra representatives today right in front of me and asked for the latest information on Invader. The first one said it was not available at all. The last guy, 2 levels up is supposedly a 5 state boss of some kind. I talked to him over the phone and he first told me that Invader 4x4 was not available at all. When I told him people in South India routinely see them in show rooms and have driven them, he put me on hold for a few seconds and then told me that yes it was available both with XD3P and MDI3200TC with 5 speed tranny and FWD. He then proceded to give me the wrong specs on both motors. I politely corrected him. He then hemmed and hawed for a minute or so and then told me that it would take 70-90 days to special order an Invader with either engine. He then told me he would call me back. He never did.

What kind of corporation with international aspirations can not even tell you what their own product line is let alone model specifications? I feel like I am dealing with brain damaged people. They sort of know something but then it all gets jumbled somehow. The common potato has more business sense.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 1st February 2009 at 02:31.
Old 6th February 2009, 17:04   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Alright guys. I have printed, documented proof from M&M itself that the Mahindra Bolero DI version (with no AC and No PS) is available as a 4WD option. Very agrarian and Utilitarian. Should be a good bet for Dirtydan.

I apologise for the misconceptions I may have pulled out of my hat. So M&M offers the Bolero SLX with XDP 4x4 and the Bolero DI with DI Turbo 4x4.

When I asked if I could get a PS and AC installed from the factory for the DI 4x4, I just received blank stares.
Old 6th February 2009, 18:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

M&M is confused as always along with their dealerships. they just sell their vehicles because people have a use of them and thats it!

Koncept automobiles is NOIDA is as confused as the dealer in HP!
Old 6th February 2009, 20:01   #68

Bolero Invader - Picked mine up in July 2008, MDI TC eng, 4 WD, no PS or AC. The wheel was hard, but OK, what the hell,if we grew up on these, wheres' the problem!!
Anyways,the Lambda free wheeling hubs have made a world of a difference and she is very comfortable to drive now( apart from the usual M&M fun spoilers!!!). KPL 14.5 upto 90kmph, then drops to approx 13.3.Suspension slightly hard but if one is concerned over AC,PS cushioned ride off road, then.......!
Lets be very clear of what we want the vehicle for. Regards.
Old 6th February 2009, 20:37   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Sangi:

Congratulations on the Invader 4WD? How much was it ex-showroom and OTR in Bangalore? Is the gearbox 5 forward gears + reverse? You should be able to install a/c and ps aftermarket if you need. You can pick up the same unit that comes on the 4 Door Bolero.
Old 6th February 2009, 20:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

More details please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangi View Post
Bolero Invader - Picked mine up in July 2008...
Hi sangi, that's great news...we have a new-gen Invader owner amongst our midst. Please do start a separate thread and give us more details/pics about your ownership experience so far.

Quote:
...Lets be very clear of what we want the vehicle for. Regards.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 6th February 2009 at 20:44.
Old 6th February 2009, 23:23   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bolero Invader - Picked mine up in July 2008, MDI TC eng, 4 WD, no PS or AC. ........Suspension slightly hard but if one is concerned over AC,PS cushioned ride off road, then.......!
Lets be very clear of what we want the vehicle for. Regards.
Greetings Sangi. You will not find too many in this forum who disagree with that, one or two who do not know they really want a SUV. How many KMs do you have on it? How is the reliability? Could you post the kerb weight of it? Should be in the manual.
Old 8th February 2009, 20:52   #72

Hello to everyone.
Manual not ready to hand, so Dirty Dan, you will have to wait. Done 14000 klicks on her-nary a problem as yet. Stock wheels Amazer XL 185/85/16 really had me p.... off, but will have to let them run out and then upgrade;terrible for OTR.
Something interesting(for me,at least).Blocked off the ERV(exhaust recirculating valve);thats how M & M have resolved the 'meeting emission norms' battle,by putting back exhaust into the engine!! Tried initially by blocking off from the exhaust intake with a copper and then stainless shim,but they burned out due to the temperatures involved. Then realisation struck-me being absolutely zot on technical,electrical and IT affairs!I yanked out the little chip which sends the electrical impulse to open/close the ERV...PROBLEM solved.Now the question-why all this? Much,much better pickup, lesser(at least perceptible) exhaust,better mileage(nearly a km per ltr).Did it later on the scorpio too.
She came with those miserable 55W bulbs and an even worse horn,the M&M hallmarks-both 'upgraded'. The all too familiar body squeak-whats a M&M without that noise!!!
Thats all for now and thanks for all the interest. Regards.
sangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2009, 23:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the Invader 4WD? How much was it ex-showroom and OTR in Bangalore? Is the gearbox 5 forward gears + reverse?
On Sep 11Th 2008, i have seen and photographed a brand new bolero invader 4x4 DI turbo here at the mahindra Dealer, bangalore (India Garage).
The sales guy said 4 weeks to deliver.
Clicked some photos too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...tml#post973921

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:38   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello to everyone.
Manual not ready to hand, so Dirty Dan, you will have to wait. Done 14000 klicks on her-nary a problem as yet. Stock wheels Amazer XL 185/85/16 really had me p.... off, but will have to let them run out and then upgrade;terrible for OTR.
Something interesting(for me,at least).Blocked off the ERV(exhaust recirculating valve);thats how M & M have resolved the 'meeting emission norms' battle,by putting back exhaust into the engine!! Tried initially by blocking off from the exhaust intake with a copper and then stainless shim,but they burned out due to the temperatures involved. Then realisation struck-me being absolutely zot on technical,electrical and IT affairs!I yanked out the little chip which sends the electrical impulse to open/close the ERV...PROBLEM solved.Now the question-why all this? Much,much better pickup, lesser(at least perceptible) exhaust,better mileage(nearly a km per ltr).Did it later on the scorpio too.
She came with those miserable 55W bulbs and an even worse horn,the M&M hallmarks-both 'upgraded'. The all too familiar body squeak-whats a M&M without that noise!!!
Thats all for now and thanks for all the interest. Regards.
Hi sangi,
Nice short crisp and comprehensive review. Make it more interesting with some pics man!! I agree with blocking the EGR valve, pickup improves and black smoke reduces at the cost of environment though! I have done this to my Indica Turbo and few scorpio's with excessive smoke complaint.

You rightly said , you have to upgrade your tyres very soon. I knew invader to have body rattles, but didnt know to be continuiing even in newer models

Give us your views on-

1. steering effort on hard surfaces
2. Highway pick-up & Top speed achieved
3. driveline & engine NVH
4.Off road ability and axle articulation
5. mileage

According to you can this be a multipurpose higway cum off road vehicle?
Old 9th February 2009, 14:01   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

I am following this thread very keenly. I have been in the market for a 2wd Bolero, but the Invader being much cheaper is catching my fancy what with the 4wd option. If I get a 4wd cheaper than a 2wd, I am not going to say no.

I would also be quite keen on to know on retrofitting the Power Steering option. Can someone throw some light on this? I do not intend to do hard core offroading - I have a 3B for that. Still confused now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks