Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 12:31   #1
BHPian

mm550 with a scorpio 2.6 CRDe engine?

Hi,

I have long wanted to own a jeep, I guess - hangover from my childhood when my dad used to drive a willys and that was the only vehicle that i rode in for a considerable amount of time.
Then, i grew up -

I think this was what made me buy my first Scorpio in 2005. To get the feel of a Jeep together with convenience of a city vehicle.

Now, 6 yrs later - i have saved some money to go in for a 4x4 jeep. But the question is which one?

I am not a huge off roading fan - it is fun, but my jeep will be mostly for sentimental value and a w/e toy, driven mostly on tarred roads.

Thar was definitely on the cards - till i saw the price and the finish of the vehicle, coupled with total ignorance on part of the sales guys in M&M showrooms.

I am thinking of MM550 with a scorpio 2.6 CRDe engine with a 4x4 drive? But the questions are:

1. Is it doable? how much would it cost approx? I am looking to spend not more than 3L - is it an option in this price range? or any other recommendations?
2. Should i simply go in for a old M&M and get the enigne, etc overhauled? Will i be able to take it out on highways for long journeys?
3. Will the MM550 with Scorp engine - be reliable?
4. I would want all the frills along with it - a/c, powersteering, a clutch that does not kill my knees, alloys, etc..
5. I dont think i would want a ht, i am ok with a soft top (but this is not fixed).

Gurus, experts - pls do help me out. I am a total novice when it comes to jeeps and building/maintaining one.

Will appreciate guidance.

Thanks.
Old 8th July 2011, 14:38   #2
BHPian

Re: mm550 with a scorpio 2.6 CRDe engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Hi,

I have long wanted to own a jeep, I guess - hangover from my childhood when my dad used to drive a willys and that was the only vehicle that i rode in for a considerable amount of time.
Then, i grew up -

I think this was what made me buy my first Scorpio in 2005. To get the feel of a Jeep together with convenience of a city vehicle.

Now, 6 yrs later - i have saved some money to go in for a 4x4 jeep. But the question is which one?

I am not a huge off roading fan - it is fun, but my jeep will be mostly for sentimental value and a w/e toy, driven mostly on tarred roads.

Thar was definitely on the cards - till i saw the price and the finish of the vehicle, coupled with total ignorance on part of the sales guys in M&M showrooms.

I am thinking of MM550 with a scorpio 2.6 CRDe engine with a 4x4 drive? But the questions are:

1. Is it doable? how much would it cost approx? I am looking to spend not more than 3L - is it an option in this price range? or any other recommendations?
2. Should i simply go in for a old M&M and get the enigne, etc overhauled? Will i be able to take it out on highways for long journeys?
4. I would want all the frills along with it - a/c, powersteering, a clutch that does not kill my knees, alloys, etc..
5. I dont think i would want a ht, i am ok with a soft top (but this is not fixed).

Gurus, experts - pls do help me out. I am a total novice when it comes to jeeps and building/maintaining one.

Thanks.
You want a THAR in 3 L price tag. good with the wish list.
please visit a mahindra show room and take a test drive of THAR this may be the exact thing that you want , but little out of your budget

am waiting for others response too.
SRI
Old 8th July 2011, 15:06   #3
BHPian

very easily doable once all the components are found. I will put you in touch with my mechanic in Pune who will be able to do this for you. Reliability of this combo is also good.

Dr. A Ghosh

Quote:
Hi,

Then, i grew up -

Thanks.
abheekg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 15:06   #4
BANNED

Putting a 2.6 CRDe engine in a MM 550 cannot be done in less than or around 3 l reliably.
It is better to buy a Thar if you can afford it or buy an MM550 and get it completely overhauled/modified/spruced up to your choice. This itself if done tastefully would cost you around 3l.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:21   #5
BHPian

thanks - when you say "completely overhauled/modified/spruced up"

you mean with the original MM550 engine? what is the drivability/reliability of that option?

I want to be able to take it out on highways for long drives/journeys....
So a comfortable drive is a big requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
very easily doable once all the components are found. I will put you in touch with my mechanic in Pune who will be able to do this for you. Reliability of this combo is also good.

Dr. A Ghosh
thanks doc. It will atleast give me a lead on how to proceed. Do you have any idea of the cost involved?

what if i left the original engine in - what would be the - drivability/reliability of that option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
You want a THAR in 3 L price tag. good with the wish list.
please visit a mahindra show room and take a test drive of THAR this may be the exact thing that you want , but little out of your budget

am waiting for others response too.
SRI

thanks SRI -yes i want to do a TD, just not been able to be in the showroom at the right time. Thar is not a regular feature in my dealer's showroom - so will have to be there when the Thar is there. But yes - definitely want to do that, though i know that it is way over my budget and i did not like the looks of the interior when i saw the display.

Mod's Note: Please start using the multiquote option while replying to more than one person. Do not make back-to-back posts. We have merged all your individual reply posts into one.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sach, Thar is the vehicle for you. Considering the specifications asked by you and you agreeing to be a novice with 4x4's you will become a good bait for mechanics and other similar groups. You will be ripped off, so BEWARE! Not to forget the precious time and peace of mind spent during the rebuild. Aesthetically, fit & finish wise (bling - bling); individuals / workshops may surpass OE standards but when it comes to mechanicals most will not come close. For a vehicle like CJ3B/550/540/Thar there is very little in the "Trim" category, the heart lies in the mechanicals which you must stress on. If you are not happy with the interiors, need an AC you should wait, I'm sure the manufacturer must offer something in the near future . If you cannot wait, pick up a Thar CRDe, you won't be disappointed.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 8th July 2011 at 15:41.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 15:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sach, Thar is the vehicle for you. Considering the specifications asked by you and you agreeing to be a novice with 4x4's you will become a good bait for mechanics and other similar groups. You will be ripped off, so BEWARE! Not to forget the precious time and peace of mind spent during the rebuild. Aesthetically, fit & finish wise (bling - bling); individuals / workshops may surpass OE standards but when it comes to mechanicals most will not come close. For a vehicle like CJ3B/550/540/Thar there is very little in the "Trim" category, the heart lies in the mechanicals which you must stress on. If you are not happy with the interiors, need an AC you should wait, I'm sure the manufacturer must offer something in the near future . If you cannot wait, pick up a Thar CRDe, you won't be disappointed.

Spike
Exactly what I thought as well, Having never owned a 4x4 and not having a thorough knowhow the mechanics could easily take me for a ride. I scrapped the idea of getting a old army MM550 (or even a MM540) rebuild.
With Thar out of my budget (2L) Im looking at decently maintained CL500 or CL550's.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Spike
now - this response has made me VERY happy indeed
Thanks Spike. Good to hear this.

On the other hand - what about my query about taking a mm550 and simply getting it upto speed? can you pls respond to that also? i have not yet closed that option.

Would be good to get some feedback from the experts
Old 8th July 2011, 15:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IMO in 3L its not possible.
  • old 4x4 540- 50+K
  • paperwork- 20k (for vehicle if its 15 years old)
  • 2.6CRDE -60+K
  • NGT530 + borgwarner manual shift-25K (??)
  • AC-30K
  • PS- 15K (??)
  • overhaul - 70+K (includes mechanical, wiring, body work+labor)
  • new alloy & tyre combo - 55K
total - 3.25+L. (may be more)
(note all figures are approx)
at the end of the day reliability will be like .

& this will be illegal.

are you ready for all this?

i think you should buy a well maintained 550 at 2L.

use it for some time & then decide if you still want a crde550 or thar.

rgds,
Nikhil

see the AD's in classifieds section.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/brow...SUV,+MUV,+4x4/

Last edited by jeepster : 8th July 2011 at 16:04.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
i think you should buy a well maintained 550 at 2L.

use it for some time & then decide if you still want a crde550 or thar.
Partly agree to Nikhil, but with a 2nd hand Jeep, there are lots of variables involved.

Quote:
On the other hand - what about my query about taking a mm550 and simply getting it upto speed? can you pls respond to that also? i have not yet closed that option.
You can take help of senior 4x4 guys / good mechanics from your region once you have a vehicle in sight, then only go ahead. Also, you will never be happy with the old Jeeps once you start using them (reg. daily use, driveability, comfort etc). You will always have something or the other to do- why not add power steering, why not redo the wiring, why not upgrade the brakes and so on. And once you have test driven a Thar CRDe, you will never look back. Take my word.

Spike
Old 8th July 2011, 16:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you need a 4x4 then? It increases the vehicle weight, pushes up the cost of acquiring and maintaining the vehicle and is next to useless on city roads.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:56   #12
BHPian

thanks nikhil, spike, vikrut

so primarily - you are saying that if i want a 4x4 jeep for daily drive or even weekend drive and not much off roading - i should not be looking at the old jeeps and getting them restored option?

hmmmmm - i think i need to go to a Thar TD necessarily now.

OT: a stupid question, but i dont have a covered parking/garage. what are the options reg. safety? how to ensure that the jeep is safe when parked during the night? Does Thar come with a immobiliser? or?
Old 8th July 2011, 17:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
  • 2.6CRDE -60+K
  • NGT530 + borgwarner manual shift-25K (??)
Jeepster -
1. Does the 2.6 CRDE motor require the ECM too?
2. I checked with Divgi Warner - and was informed that the BW transfer case is not available new in the aftermarket - what options remain ?

Many thanks!
Old 8th July 2011, 17:30   #14
BANNED

Nothing is left for me to comment -- Spike & Jeepster talk too much & steal the show

Jokes apart but you all miss an Important point here --- suppose all the things wished for + the 2.6 engine fits under 3L & the vehicle is ready to hit the road -- My question is will the standard suspension & mechanicals ( Trany,brakes etc ) be able to handle the extra road Speed & power ?

Sudarshan
Old 8th July 2011, 17:39   #15
BHPian

Most of us speak highly of the Thar here ! Must be a good mahindra product . My last fling with jeeps was a gypsy and that was about 8yrs ago . I too have a desire of owning a no nonsense jeep which will be taken good care of but won't be used as a diehard off roading creature . So I crave for a few creature comforts like a/c a must . My one very big requirement is a NICE SOFT CLUTCH . How is thar in that department ? Could some guru throw light on it please?

Last edited by m-hawk : 8th July 2011 at 17:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks