Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 19:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Considering the Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

That said, Thar will give you freedom of snorkel, manual transfer case(no borg warner thingy), wherein, a safari is best kept fully stock.
Manual TC in Thar is also Borg Warner design manufactured by its sister concern Divgi Warner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
One problem you might want to think about is fuel capacity. You might want carry extra fuel in remote places like Ladakh so you might consider how best to do that.
60L fuel tank capacity is given. However, I agree, the more the better!

Spike
Old 20th July 2011, 20:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

60 L would mea 600KM, if i am not wrong would that not be enough for areas in India?
Old 20th July 2011, 21:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

desideep, while traversing regions like Leh, Ladakh (where resources are constrained), it is always better to have a good range. For such routes, 600 Kms IMO is not that bad. For other parts within India, this is good enough.

Spike
Old 20th July 2011, 21:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Mahindra customizations quote 1.25 lacs for two seats and the floor customization to install the seats. thats far too much.

anybody know of a source in delhi who can supply and install aftermarket seats?

Try Speedsport in Chattarpur..should be able to sort the issue..

// Speed Sport . Automotive Engineering Solutions . New Delhi . India //

Hope that helps

Cheers
Old 20th July 2011, 21:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thats true sir , i can remember going to leh on my bullet where i was carrying extra 12 L with me out of which i used around 5 L before reaching Leh even though i had filled my bullet at Tandi and my bullet is not one of those that runs 35-40 KMPL.
Old 20th July 2011, 23:56   #21
BHPian

@ harbir
u will be able pick a decent pair of seats for around 20 grand from mayapuri or chandi chowk area. all these need is new covers , before u make up your mind to buy the thar crde please keep it in mind that the front suspension can't take the abuse that off-road tracks have to offer ,the front tires tend to wear out quickly even during
on-road , this i can say from personal experience .
Old 21st July 2011, 06:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyaulakh View Post
please keep it in mind that the front suspension can't take the abuse that off-road tracks have to offer.
so I should not expect it to take the sort of expeditions to ladakh that appear on this forum so often?

whats it good for then? getting milk from the grocey store while looking like it can go to sinkiang overland? Its a poser vehicle and no more?

Last edited by Harbir : 21st July 2011 at 07:00.
Old 21st July 2011, 09:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a thar in ladakh.A red one with about 5 guys and the amount of offroading and rough usage they did was stupendous.They were so happy with the Jeep.Ofcourse of you're dead set that you have to damage the front suspension arms by hitting them with big rocks then its a different matter.Not for nothing are expedition groups buying fleets of thars with the recent one being 20 thars for just the ladakh expedition from a private tour operator in chandigarh.

Oh yes about the AC:these delhi guys got the AC installed from outside in delhi.Some guy who installs national or some japanese AC's.perfect fit.Heating and cooling.and these guys have not faced a single issue in the heat of delhi or the cold climate of sarchu and tso kar.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 21st July 2011 at 09:45.
Old 21st July 2011, 09:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so I should not expect it to take the sort of expeditions to ladakh that appear on this forum so often?...
I don't think THAR will be that incapable! In fact it should do tours like these comfortably. Just that the apprehension so far is IFS may need some periodic maintenance in case of regular off-road use. The upcoming monastery escape should give more details on THAR's performance on these types of terrains.
EDIT: @navpreet, any pointer on the place where the AC+Heater installation was done?

Last edited by Kandisa : 21st July 2011 at 09:52.
Old 21st July 2011, 10:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I have seen a thar in ladakh.A red one with about 5 guys and the amount of offroading and rough usage they did was stupendous.They were so happy with the Jeep.Ofcourse of you're dead set that you have to damage the front suspension arms by hitting them with big rocks then its a different matter.Not for nothing are expedition groups buying fleets of thars with the recent one being 20 thars for just the ladakh expedition from a private tour operator in chandigarh.

Oh yes about the AC:these delhi guys got the AC installed from outside in delhi.Some guy who installs national or some japanese AC's.perfect fit.Heating and cooling.and these guys have not faced a single issue in the heat of delhi or the cold climate of sarchu and tso kar.

Nice to know the capability has been tested, about the AC being fitted in Delhi, even I am curious. Any place other than the trusted old timer Quick Refregeration in Lajpat Nagar ?

Cheers
Old 21st July 2011, 10:11   #26
BHPian

doesn't the thar have a heater as standard fitment?
Old 21st July 2011, 13:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

But with the mahindra fitment its supposedly removed.Not sure about it though.

Ricky Ji no idea but what those boys told me was that this guy is a famous old installer who does some jap AC's

Delhi guys should try and locate a red thar driven by a young guy with his windows rolled up.Ask him.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 21st July 2011 at 13:10.
Old 21st July 2011, 13:20   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Harbir:

There is thread in the 4x4 technical section dedicated to installing AC in Thar. The heater will have to be removed and OEM Thar AC kit has only AC not heater. But I think you can use the evaporator coil from the Bolero VLX to enable heating and cooling.
Old 21st July 2011, 13:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
doesn't the thar have a heater as standard fitment?
My understanding is that it has a heater standard. Also power steering.... Spike?

Quote:
so I should not expect it to take the sort of expeditions to ladakh that appear on this forum so often?

whats it good for then? getting milk from the grocey store while looking like it can go to sinkiang overland? Its a poser vehicle and no more?
It has IFS, independent front suspension, that makes it a good bump absorbing hwy vehicle and rider. However, this suspension is a little expensive to maintain in the long term. Also, there is concern by many in this forum that this set up is a little more fragile e.g. prone to breaking tie rods and other components, than it's Army conventionally sprung counterpart jeep.

There was an interesting discussion, or raging debate, on this on a couple of the Thar threads. Do a search on "Thar" in the thread title title and you will see.

I myself am considering buying a Thar CRDe for use in the Himalayas even with the concern about the IFS. However, I am not particularly interested in extreme off-roading so IFS may be okay for me. I would not buy this vehicle for extreme off-roading.

You should know that modification with IFS is a problem. Modifications such as going with larger tyres, a differential locker and such like, may be difficult or impossible. Changing gear ratios in the differentials is ONE problem.

Actually, many of us would be happy to use you as a test case on the Thar .

Last edited by DirtyDan : 21st July 2011 at 13:33.
Old 21st July 2011, 13:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

I myself have been keen on the Thar for sometime, with very similar requirements of my own. However, I find myself divided, at present, between the Thar and the Xenon 4x4. Any reasons why you are not considering the Xenon? The Thar with all required Mods and enhancements will come in the Xenon Price territory and then it will still lack the LSD and Space. No questions, that the 4WD set-up overall, on the Thar is relatively more competent than Xenon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks